News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

North Georgia Dual Sport ride Aug 5th

Started by klaviator, July 16, 2017, 06:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

klaviator

I'm planning on heading over to Two Wheels of Suches on Friday Aug 4rth, camping and then doing some dual sport riding in the Chattahoochee National  Forest on Saturday.  After Camping Sat night I'll ride home on Sunday.

August is typically hot and humid here in the southeast but Suches is at 2800 feet elevation and much cooler than it is here.  TWoS is a great place to camp and also serves great food on the weekends.  I plan on camping but they do have cabins and lodge rooms.  I haven't checked availability but they tend to book way in advance.  For anyone interested, here's a link to TWoS:  http://twowheelsofsuches.com/

No reservations are required for camping. 

I expect most will make their own way to and from Suches but I plan on leaving Huntsville shortly before noon and riding back roads to Suches.  If someone wants to ride along let me know and I'll set up a meeting place and time.  The ride on Saturday will start after breakfast which they start serving at 8. 

If anyone wants to come up that weekend on a street bike the area has a lot of great roads to ride as well.

renchinrider

I can't go up to TWoS in August, but I'm sure hoping to make Nostalgia Weekend there Sep 1 - 4... ::)
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

Bamagator

Still modding my new ride and breaking her in proper for new engine.  Hopefully I'll be in for a road trip soon. 

Al Goodwin

I think Melony and I will ride over Friday night after work....if your route isn't "big bike friendly", we can break off on our own........see y'all Saturday morning.

SpeedyR

what are you riding and where? Slim chance I might ride up to Suches Saturday for lunch but won't have a ton of time. Might be on the 1290, might be on the 950.

I'll ping you when it gets closer and see what my plans are.

FYI I'll probably do a full day DS ride saturday Sept 9th, leaving TWO around 9am and headed toward Clayton via some pavement and some good stuff.

If you need good routes from around TWoS for DS, let me know i"ll send you a link to some GPS tracks.

klaviator

Quote from: Al Goodwin on July 31, 2017, 09:17:00 PM
I think Melony and I will ride over Friday night after work....if your route isn't "big bike friendly", we can break off on our own........see y'all Saturday morning.

Most of the riding in the area is big bike friendly.  Flatland road is not but I may or may not ride it depending on who shows up and there is an easy bypass around it. 

klaviator

Quote from: SpeedyR on July 31, 2017, 09:40:42 PM
what are you riding and where? Slim chance I might ride up to Suches Saturday for lunch but won't have a ton of time. Might be on the 1290, might be on the 950.

I'll ping you when it gets closer and see what my plans are.

FYI I'll probably do a full day DS ride saturday Sept 9th, leaving TWO around 9am and headed toward Clayton via some pavement and some good stuff.

If you need good routes from around TWoS for DS, let me know i"ll send you a link to some GPS tracks.

I'll be riding my KLR650.  I was planning on staying near Suches.  I lived in the Atlanta area for 11 years so I know the area pretty well. 

klaviator

BTW, for anyone worried about August heat, forecast high for Suches on Saturday is 75 degrees!

Fencejumper09

I think "Big Bike Friendly" and "Allen's Big Bike Friendly" are different terms!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on August 01, 2017, 07:12:43 AM
I think "Big Bike Friendly" and "Allen's Big Bike Friendly" are different terms!!

OK...How about "2-up Big bike friendly"...does that make a difference? 8)

springer

Quote from: Al Goodwin on August 01, 2017, 08:06:42 AM
Quote from: Fencejumper09 on August 01, 2017, 07:12:43 AM

OK...How about "2-up Big bike friendly"...does that make a difference? 8)
Not sure.......how about "sux in the dirt" friendly?

Why?

Because that is the level I am at.

And it has taken me 4 years to get to. :)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Al Goodwin

Quote from: klaviator on July 31, 2017, 09:48:21 PM
Quote from: Al Goodwin on July 31, 2017, 09:17:00 PM

Most of the riding in the area is big bike friendly.  Flatland road is not but I may or may not ride it depending on who shows up and there is an easy bypass around it.

I've ridden Flatlands road, in the RAIN, on our KLR, with bald 244's......I'll skip it on the Tenere 2-up. :o

klaviator

First of all I am no expert rider and I"m on a KLR.  So, nothing really hard in the plans.  I plan on tailoring this ride based on what everyone else wants.  As of right now it looks like Al, Melony and me. 

What I'm thinking right now is: 

We'll do Cooper Creek road, FS33a, and Duncan Ridge.  Then go see Helton Creek Falls unless everyone has already seen it.  Some back roads back into the Cooper Creek area and then a nice creek crossing into a bunch of dead end trails.  These are  two track roads that aren't hard.  After that there are several options depending on what we want to do.

Anyway, I'm flexible.  There is a lot of great riding in the area.  I'm just looking forward to getting back to Suches again.  It a great place to camp and they have great food.

this_guy

I was planning to try the yellow and maybe the red trails on the Smokey Mountain 500 this weekend. Maybe I'll just go do the Suches with you guys.  You checked the weather yet? Looking like rain.

this_guy

Quote from: this_guy on August 02, 2017, 04:18:04 PM
I was planning to try the yellow and maybe the red trails on the Smokey Mountain 500 this weekend. Maybe I'll just go do the Suches with you guys.  You checked the weather yet? Looking like rain.

I'm new to this site, I hope mentioning rain in a trip thread isn't a major faux pas!