what are we doing to draw interest in riding?

Started by polarissalesman, November 20, 2017, 01:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

We all hear the negativity of our passion for riding. You know the "I wouldn't ride one of those, I know someone who got Killed on one" to which I answer I bet you know someone killed in a car too, but I bet you still drive...that isn't where this thread is going I just threw that in for free.  What are we doing to encourage new riders to ride if anything? I know some are thinking it's not my place to encourage others. That is true but as us older generation ages who is going to carry on? or is that yours or mine concern. I guess it is a fine line to draw upon. Think about it, how many YOUNG riders (under25) do you know? I can't think of but a couple. Then again what can we do?  ::)
"keep the rubber side down"

Fencejumper09

We are doing our part by getting them out on dirt bikes! It is a little less intimidating than being out on the streets!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

klaviator

It's really pretty simple.  The way to get more interest is to put on more rides.  There are plenty of people out there who own bikes but don't ride them that much because they just don't want to get out and ride by themselves.  Then after the ride post a ride report showing how much fun it was. 

polarissalesman

most of you know I work at a dealership, that means every Saturday I work. I usually hold a couple of BIG rides every year on a Sunday. but this past summer I tried something different for the locals who ride, 1 Saturday a month in the summer I held a mystery supper ride. We'd meet at 4:30 at my store, no one but me knew where the ride was going or what we were eating. Think we did 4  rides and had a great response. I am still getting positive feedback... I tried to keep the ride to the restaurant to about hr....most time we'd take the short route home so we'd be back before dark....People are already asking if we are doing it again this year....

Fencejumper09

That is a great idea for a ride!! Might have to use that idea in Central Alabama!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

kylepeterson

Quote from: polarissalesman on November 20, 2017, 04:06:09 PM
most of you know I work at a dealership, that means every Saturday I work. I usually hold a couple of BIG rides every year on a Sunday. but this past summer I tried something different for the locals who ride, 1 Saturday a month in the summer I held a mystery supper ride. We'd meet at 4:30 at my store, no one but me knew where the ride was going or what we were eating. Think we did 4  rides and had a great response. I am still getting positive feedback... I tried to keep the ride to the restaurant to about hr....most time we'd take the short route home so we'd be back before dark....People are already asking if we are doing it again this year....

some of my favorite rides were Glenn's "ride for pie" and Scott's "postmaster" rides to some kind of food. it is extremely relaxing to have someone to follow, that has done all the leg work, knows the roads, knows the area, and is an excellent rider. the "chain stretcher ride" crew is soft spoken, smooth as silk assassins of street bike riding.

you have a formula that's working, just keep doing it. as more people enjoy the rides, they'll bring a friend, both for the ride and the business. keep it FUN and keep em coming back. there's nothing wrong with letting them know you WANT TO SELL THEM A BIKE, and then carry on with the fun part of the ride.

they'll be back
just give 'er the berries !

polarissalesman

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on November 20, 2017, 04:12:55 PM
That is a great idea for a ride!! Might have to use that idea in Central Alabama!

well i kinda stole it and modified it from Johnny's mystery BBQ ride....I can't take all the credit ....

jrobinson

And I stole it from Postmaster.   :D

Now to answer our question,,,,, Win had half the formula, put on rides. I believe the biggest thing we can do is tell the story after the ride. Words, pics, video and/or a combination of any of the 3.

Most of the guys on here that signed up with street bikes, and now have a dirt bike in the garage also. They got the dirt bug by watching others ride reports.

Several have looked at scooters in a different light because of Win's Ride Reports.

Track days have been done by some because of Ride Reports.

It doesn't need to be an epic ride across the US of a barn burner to a corner of the state.

Win makes riding to the store on a 150cc scooter a worth while read.

Ride, Report, Repeat!

springer

What are we doing to draw interest in riding? 
  I think most folks who bought a motorcycle WANT to ride. The hard part is where and who...as in where CAN I ride and Who can I get to RIDE with me?
If this place can supply both, the who and where, the interest will grow.

I think that because that is how I was...back in the day...at the beginning of B.R.1.  :) AND I was that way before B.R.1., heck before the internet, before I was staff onThunder Roads, before I hit 40, and 30, and 20... :D

So, how do we get back TO those roots?

It is simple, really...it is.

RIDE REPORTS

That is what drew me in and it has kept me here. Ride reports, I read every single one.

Now I am just as guilty as anyone on here...more guilty to be honest. I haven't posted a ride report in a while...even though I do ride. I have just gotten lazy.
And the price I have paid is most of my rides now are boring to me. I ride to the same old same old. The only camera I carry is my cellphone camera. And my GoPro, heck, I couldn't find it, it has been so long.

And I should know better. Getting into a rut is not the way to keep life interesting.

For me, life is interesting when I get out of my "zone of comfort."

When I ride to new places...with new folks...see new things...and get new out look on life, and life becomes good.

I have had a few rides like that /\.

One of them, one right at the top of my list, was because of the "Tag Game" that started on BR1. I meet up with 2 people I hardly knew, road down to way down south of Ally-Bamey, road on pavement AND dirt (on a streetbike), to a little church right slap dab in the middle of NO WHERE, all just to take a picture of a headstone... It is one of the BEST DAMN RIDES I HAVE EVER BEEN ON.

I can honestly say that in my personal list of BEST RIDES, 6 out of 10 came to be because of B.R.1.

And I hope to replace some "old best rides" with some new ones here.

For me, for that to happen /\, ride reports, riding games, good folks are needed.

I hope to find them here...hell, I know I can find them here. I just need to do my part and write those damn ride reports.  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

DachshundUberAlles

I've always felt that the "ride to eat" was a fantastic format. That was the formula I tried when I first came here five or so years ago. The biggest hurdle I've found in the Who can I get to ride with me? aspect is geography. Something that has puzzled me from the very start is that once you reach the southern Jefferson County line, there's no interest, both in gathering people up or anybody willing to come down beyond the upper 1/3 of the State.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Nice Goat

I kind of interpreted Donny's question differently, I guess.  What I heard was: "How do we bridge the generational gap and get the younger folks excited about riding.  I don't disagree with anything that has been said in this thread, so far, but how do we get them in the door when they don't even know we are here.  It's a good question.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

springer

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 21, 2017, 10:51:17 AM
I kind of interpreted Donny's question differently, I guess.  What I heard was: "How do we bridge the generational gap and get the younger folks excited about riding.  I don't disagree with anything that has been said in this thread, so far, but how do we get them in the door when they don't even know we are here.  It's a good question.
Approach a rider you do not know and start a conversation. Ask them about their bike and where they ride. Let them tell you about their motorcycle, where they ride, what kind of riding, and so on.
Tell them about the riding you like doing. 
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. -\_ :) _/-

Oh, some where during the conversation bring up Motorcycle Alabama.   ;)

That is about all I have.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

polarissalesman

Quote from: Nice Goat on November 21, 2017, 10:51:17 AM

Glenn is right/ but so is the others.... everyone has touched on those that have bikes and not riding.... it is those that don't have bikes is what we haven't touched on, or does the other go hand in hand...

LawnmowerRG

Quote from: polarissalesman on November 21, 2017, 01:40:51 PM
Glenn is right/ but so is the others.... everyone has touched on those that have bikes and not riding.... it is those that don't have bikes is what we haven't touched on, or does the other go hand in hand...

Yes yes that is the way I heard the question also.

I don't think the answer to the question is entirely different than the answers already given.
First I would say talk about Rides. Talk about them with excitement. About how you and all your friends had fun. How John Bob Smith sank his bike in a mud hole  and everyone laughed at him for 10 minutes  solid. Then jumped in and helped him pull it out. Or how one of those guys laughing broke done on the side of the road on the next ride. Then JBS got up early went half way across the state to get his own truck and trailer to pick That guy up.

Then another thing push new younger riders to small affordable bikes. Most 25 year olds can't afford abs 35k CVO Harley, or a 29k GoldWing, or a 25k BMW GS, or a 10k bike for that matter. What they can get is an older KLR or Suzuki Intruder. Thing is that it probably needs some work and may break down on a ride you are on. Not to mention if they start with a CBR1000 they will probably get scared so bad they give up riding. If they survive.

In the age of social media people have hundreds of "friends". The fact is very few of them know what a friend really is. I personally think they are searching for that in the wrong places. This means we/I have to demonstrate that to them. People have to want to ride. If all the riders they know are Aholes. Then why should they want to?

I'm not pointing fingers. Just making statements. I know everyone in this thread at this point is a great person. I don't expect to see a single person respond that isn't, but think about most riders you notice when your out.

The whole reality TV thing hurt our community in my humble opinion. It was all about a bunch of guys screaming and hollaring at each other, Throwing things, and fighting. Outside of Lincoln and himself mad at himself I don't know is I have seen that in our little community (full disclosure I Get very mad at myself when things don't work. especially when I make it worse).
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

DachshundUberAlles

This all goes back to "youngsters" actually showing interest in motorcycles in the first place. People (males) of my generation (I'm 54) just loved the thought of getting a motorcycle and when turning 16, absolutely chomping at the bit to get our driver's license. I have friends whose children couldn't care less about driving, to the point that they see no purpose in even getting their license. That's the mindset you're going to have to overcome.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.