News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

New Year's Day 2018

Started by Fencejumper09, January 16, 2018, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

***Video In Post #4***

A group of friends have been doing an annual New Year's Day ride for several years now. Last year I was out of town and had serious regrets about missing that ride. This year I made sure I was in town and put in an early request for a late game for my Clemson Tigers.

With the forecast threatening temperatures in the teens with highs staying below freezing, I was expecting a low turn out. With some strategic peer pressure,  >:( we were able to get a group of 17 riders to show up for the deep freeze!

The ride started off with a couple warm up hills, some tall grass donuts and a few near fails! Too bad neither Kyle nor I had our GoPros going for my awesome epic donut! But I did turn mine on to get Kyle trying and getting stuck in a hole!

Shane brought out his cold weather squid gear!

Kyle showed off his epic wheelies, which was impressive since his Rotella was probably flowing like molasses!

Mad Mike showed up to teach us a thing or two about momentum and how to use it to your advantage!

Even with the cold, Kyle was pretty happy in his coveralls!!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

After a good warm up, we were off to to a winter wonderland of frozen mud puddles and icy dirt! Great traction was nowhere to be found!

The lack of traction was quickly an issue with some steep washed out downhill sections. Luckily for the group, hall monitor Kyle was there to redirect and recommend caution!

Wheelies to make sure oil was fully coating all of the internals of the YZ

Found a cool overlook to send out jealousy vibes to all the cagers!! They looked so bored!

The McMickin brothers show off what the lack of arthritis and a mortgage do for your riding ability!

Alex is always at the forefront when it come to new fashion trends. Whether it be the stylish new way of accessorizing with mirrored goggles or the cafe styled front fender on the YZ. Thanks for teaching us old and disconnected rednecks some fashion!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Fencejumper09

When we got to the first technical climb of the day I realized I was following a little close so I did what anyone towards the front of a group of dirtbikers with freezing hands and no traction on a hill should do, I stop! Well, this may have caused what you see in this next photo. The guys behind me decided to keep going but since I was blocking the "good" line, they head over to the off camber rocky line. And VOILA!

Sorry bout that fellas!

After we got everyone up the hill while Kyle went up and down 4 or 5 times, we set back off! It was pretty magical watching Kyle wheelie off into the sunrise!

It was a little cold! My bite valve on my camelbak kept freezing in between water stops!

At the first group stop we realized that Anthony's chain was disintegrating so we made some plans for a tow.

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT

klaviator

Another great report

Looks like a great way to start off a new year!

Fencejumper09

After taking the KTM back to the trucks we went back out and found some hills and ledges to play on!

Young McMikin and Mikey Johnson finding some sketchy nonsense!

We hit some sweet single track after this epic group shot but my Gopro batteries weren't performing well in the low temps!

The day was cold for sure but it was great getting out with some of the guys! The ones who couldn't make it were missed but also hazed due to there lack of cold weather gumption! Here is a quick edit of the videos I got! Enjoy!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT