News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Quick trip to Tellico

Started by Jwwr, February 25, 2018, 07:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwwr

It was going to be 80 and only a 10% chance of rain on Friday. So, I scheduled some PTO and headed to Tellico Thursday after work. I debated whether to camp or not. There was a line of rain that was headed that way. I didn't know if it would be cleared out by the time I got there. I didn't really want to set up a tent in the dark with it raining, so I booked one of the little cabins on Rafter Road for $45.

Should have camped! It was a lovely night. I headed up the Cherohala first thing in the morning. I met one car before I got to the Bald river falls turn off, It would be last vehicle or person I would see on the Cherohala. This would be a theme for the day. Almost no traffic everywhere I went. I made a quick detour to see the falls. It was flowing pretty good.

The road to the falls.

It was clear in Tellico when I started and a little cool. I rode through a warm air layer at about 3000'. That was nice!. The weather up high on the Cherohala is unpredictable. It was foggy, misty and cold!

I then rode Joyce kilmer over to 129 and then Meadow Branch and Rymers Ferry to Fontana Village. Rymers Ferry has new pavement.

I then rode 28 up to Deals Gap. I didn't ride the Dragon, In hindsight I should have. I wanted to go to Wayah Bald and didn't know if I had enough time. It was deserted.

klaviator

Awesome!  Off season is a great time to ride that area.

Jwwr

Food and Fuel in Robbinsville. Then on to Wayah Road.

With no leaves on the trees and all the recent rain, there was water everywhere you looked.

No Wayah Bald for you! Come back 20 days!

Finished Wayah, then hit Rainbow Springs road. I had never ridden it before. I liked it! Not so twisty to take for ever to get through, but scenic and fun. It was smooth and sticky in places just right for the Golden Boys!

Jwwr

Rainbow Springs runs back into Wayah Road for a loop. Up to Robbinsville and Over the Cherohala back to Tellico. The weather was nicer this time. I love this road! When the weather cooperates and there's no traffic it can be a serene, blissful experience.

It was a quick trip , but it scratched the itch! Thanks for looking!

Nice Goat

Great pics and report, Jeff.  Now I've got the itch to go back up there.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

terryrussell1

Looks like it was a great trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

norton73

Quote from: Nice Goat on February 25, 2018, 08:31:10 PM
Great pics and report, Jeff.  Now I've got the itch to go back up there.

Me too!

Thanks for the report, looked fun.

I'm surprised no one was paddling the Tellico, the level should have been good.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

jrou111

Awesome RR man! I love Rainbow Springs Road. If you're back in the area, check out Tusquitee Rd. According to Google Maps it dead ends, but I can assure you it winds up at Tuni Gap.

That sucks Wayah Bald was closed. The view from up there on a clear day is incredible!

Jwwr

Awesome photo! And thanks for the intell on Tusquitee Rd.

Bamagator

Nice write up and trip, perfect weather was a plus.  Had you been in those areas before?

Jwwr

Quote from: Bamagator on February 28, 2018, 07:34:33 PM
Nice write up and trip, perfect weather was a plus.  Had you been in those areas before?

Thanks. Yes, I've been taking a few trips a year for the last four years to there and sometimes on up the mountain chain farther into North Carolina.

springer

Quote from: Jwwr on March 01, 2018, 09:26:51 AM
Thanks. Yes, I've been taking a few trips a year for the last four years to there and sometimes on up the mountain chain farther into North Carolina.
Lotta good riding in those areas. I am planning on heading up to Waynesville N.C. the weekend before Memorial day (Actually the Wednesday before the weekend before Memorial day  :D )to ride with a bunch of crazy folks from another forum I am on.  :D :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrou111

Quote from: Jwwr on March 01, 2018, 09:26:51 AM

Highly recommend the area between Cataloochie and Hot Springs, NC. I've got some single track that I discovered up there as well. Fencejumper and some others got to ride it last August when I led a group up there.

Fencejumper09

That was a pretty epic trip!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Jwwr

Quote from: jrou111 on March 01, 2018, 08:29:30 PM
Highly recommend the area between Cataloochie and Hot Springs, NC. I've got some single track that I discovered up there as well. Fencejumper and some others got to ride it last August when I led a group up there.

I've been wanting to explore that area more and what they call the Cocke County maze which I guess is just the North part of the same area. Roads like Bug Branch,Rocky Top, Grassy Fork and Snowbird. I have ridden Hurricane creek then by Max Patch and came out near Del Rio. I didn't explore any just kinda straight through.