RFP #SE: Key West Iron Butt, April 13-17

Started by gharshman, December 13, 2015, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

Quote from: Brian A on April 08, 2016, 02:27:58 PM
...Two things I will mention. Two things that mimic my practices on previous long distance rides....

Absolutely agree.  We are not forming a parade, but I want everybody to at least remain in sight of one another.  Preferably, I'd like the whole group within one (1) mile of each other.  Aside from that, you are responsible for your own safety and comfort level in all passing and riding situations.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KevinB

About to mount my cheap set of "slabbin' it" tires...

catang5oh

Just got done with cheap streets too! Shinko 712R, $58 plus $7 shipping.
I learned why Battleaxes got their name, it was a battle and a pain in my axe to get that Bad boy off.

jrobinson

Got mine off bench and back on the ground. Wasn't an easy task, but this thing has been fighting me every step.

Back to Rocket Harley tomorrow to see if I can find the correct hose.

Nice Goat

Reminder...

Quote from: Nice Goat on December 13, 2015, 11:23:40 PM
Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Meeting Place: Waffle House/Shell Gas Station, Walker Chapel Road, I-65 Exit 267, Fultondale, Alabama
Meeting Time: 4:15AM, get gas, receipts, photos, quick breakfast
Depart Time: Kickstands up at 5:00AM Central

Breakfast at 4:15AM is optional, but kickstands are up at 5:00AM sharp!

Make sure you get sufficient sleep Tuesday night, and please don't be late!

jrobinson

Bike is being washed this afternoon, it will be rain water fresh Wednesday morning and ready to go. It wasn't feeling the nice and shiny look.

catang5oh

Just for fun, I have a couple of places in the Keys that are off the hook for seafood. I am anxious to see if they fit into our trip timing wise.

Sparkys Landing on Marathon Key, fresh fish, best when blackened. They cooked my catch last trip as soon as I got them cleaned and off the boat.

Keys Fisheries, home of the lobster Rueben.

Boot Key

Nice Goat

Quote from: catang5oh on April 11, 2016, 04:44:55 PM
Just for fun, I have a couple of places in the Keys that are off the hook for seafood....

You can choose our dinner spot for Thursday night!  Just so long as they have pie.  :D

KevinB

Quote from: jrobinson on April 11, 2016, 01:52:36 PM
Bike is being washed this afternoon, it will be rain water fresh Wednesday morning and ready to go. It wasn't feeling the nice and shiny look.

That's OK...it's looking like thunderstorms all the way to Ocala.  :)

Nice Goat

Quote from: KevinB on April 11, 2016, 07:11:36 PM
That's OK...it's looking like thunderstorms all the way to Ocala.  :)

I was just looking at that.  It is hard enough to ride 1,000 miles, but doing half of that in scattered thunderstorms will be truly exhausting and potentially dangerous.  So, I had a thought....

What if we take a more direct route but still have an option for the SS1000?  If we take Hwy. 280 to Columbus, then 82 to Tifton, then interstate south from there, it is only 820 miles to the hotel.  Those who are less interested in the SS1000 certificate would enjoy a shorter ride and be in the hotel sooner.  Those who want the certificate could continue on to Key West, then double back to the hotel for a total of 1,020 miles.

I'm sorry that I didn't think of it sooner.  I think that it accommodates everybody a little better. 

Everybody please vote on this, and we will decide by lunch tomorrow.

TFancher

If it keeps me dryer I'm good with the new route. I'll see how 820 feels then decide on the other 200.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

catang5oh

Brian A

Matters not to me.

I'm fine with riding in the rain.
Fine with not riding in the rain.

Already have the certificate on the wall.

Whatever suits the group, suits me.

catang5oh

Quote from: Brian A on April 11, 2016, 08:42:58 PM
Matters not to me.

I'm fine with riding in the rain.
Fine with not riding in the rain.

Already have the certificate on the wall.

Whatever suits the group, suits me.

What is it with us and long rides, we rode 300 plus from St.Louis to Nashville in the rain on the last one!

vtxrider

Quote from: TFancher on April 11, 2016, 08:27:07 PM
If it keeps me dryer I'm good with the new route. I'll see how 820 feels then decide on the other 200.
I'm with my roommate and I can speed for Chelin as well.