RFP #SE: Key West Iron Butt, April 13-17

Started by gharshman, December 13, 2015, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

TFancher

I just ate a medium pizza and I'm on my 3rd (of a possible 12) Yuengling. How's that for a healthy lifestyle?
Seriously I've been trying to get some exercise and eating better. Saturday is my cheat day.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Brian A

Seriously, the only thing I plan to do/must do is shift to left computer hand mouse starting Monday.

My right wrist/hand will never be normal again and daily use of a computer mouse is just a constant aggravation. Meaning: my hand will be numb before we hit Montgomery and possibly worthless by Mobile if I don't start now letting it "rest".

I am a complete spastic with my left hand but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

KevinB

Did you guys just hear that noise across Central Alabama?  That was me releasing a huge sigh of relief. 

I got a subpoena from the AG's office yesterday for the huge GreeneTrack bingo/gambling debacle that happened a few years ago that is starting trial next Monday. There's no telling how long the trial will last, and I just knew the State was going to find a way to screw my moto vacation (only 2 years and 9 months left of indentured servitude!) . Just found out that due to my insignificant role in the entire circus of an investigation I won't be needed for testimony. 

Nice Goat

Don't forget your sunscreen, you pasty white bitches!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

catang5oh

I will start the IV of Monster about 8:30pm Tues, I am rolling to nightshift Monday, then off to Key West at 4:15 Weds.

Brian A

Yeah. It's getting closer. Looking forward to a good time.

A FWIW comment....  I always carry my spare key whenever I go off on a trip like this. I figured it would suck to be somewhere, like Key West for example, and somehow manage to lose my key.

Nice Goat

For the Iron Butt certification, I plan to document this trip to get credit for the ride.  I would like for everybody to get credit, but the cost is about $46 each (includes certificate, pins, license plate backer, etc.), but if you do not plan to get IBA credit for the ride, I understand.  If you do want to get credit, this is what is required:

- Application form (see below)
- Witness forms at start & end of ride (I will bring copies)
- Gas receipts with time/date/location (you will need to collect these and keep track of them)
- Ride log & GPS tracks (I will provide this)
- Overview map using Google Maps (I will provide this)

They have an electronic application process which allows you to type the application into the body of an e-mail.  For this, you would need:

- Name
- Address
- Phone number
- New or existing IBA member
- Driver or passenger
- Name you want on the certificate
- Motorcycle year/make/model
- Odometer start and finish
- and some other ride information which I will provide

If you want me to submit the application for you, you will need to give me the information above with witness forms, gas receipts, odometer readings (start and stop), and $46.

If you want to submit the application yourself, I will give you the ride log, GPS tracks, and overview map.  You will need to edit the odometer readings in the ride log for your bike.

Please review the attached forms and print if you plan to get certified.

Thanks!

TFancher

It appears to be the same distance from Tuscaloosa to Ft. Deposit as from Fultondale. I plan to spend the night at home and meet you guys at the first fuel stop. That is at 6:48 AM.
Is that correct?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Nice Goat

Quote from: TFancher on April 06, 2016, 06:44:43 PM
... That is at 6:48 AM.  Is that correct?

Yes, sir.  We may arrive a few minutes earlier, depending on how traffic is flowing, but it should be within 10 minutes of that time.  Goal will be 20 minutes max for the fuel stop.

My first preference will be to stay on the western side of the exit.  Street view shows a Chevron.  Fallback station is the Shell on the eastern side of the same exit.

Brian A

Quote from: TFancher on April 06, 2016, 06:44:43 PM
It appears to be the same distance from Tuscaloosa to Ft. Deposit as from Fultondale. I plan to spend the night at home and meet you guys at the first fuel stop. That is at 6:48 AM.
Is that correct?

Same for me. Within 2 miles of same distance from my house to Ft. Deposit exit as from Fultondale.

I will plan to be at the Chevron - Exit 142 - at ~6:45 am.

Nice Goat

If you are starting from your house, don't forget to stop for gas close to your house, get a pump receipt, make sure that the address, date, and time are on the receipt, and also don't forget to take a picture of your odometer when you stop for gas.

If you want to record your own GPS tracks, a cheap way to do it is using your cell phone.  I have an iPhone with an app called MotionX GPS.  When you open the app, it tells you when it has acquired GPS signal, then you tell it to start recording.  When you are finished, tell it to stop recording, then tell it to e-mail the track to you.  You will get an e-mail with a GPX file which can be opened in almost any mapping program.  Put your phone in the tankbag connected to a 12v charger or a powerpack, and it will record for 1,000 miles easily.  I'm also going to have my handheld GPS as a backup.

Brian A

Good advice.
I'll have my early am gas receipt.
Also, I will have my Garmin tracking the trip and my SPOT tracker logging the whole thing.

Speaking of SPOT, anybody want the link to share with family or friends so they can keep up with us (the first 130 miles not withstanding)?

Nice Goat

Quote from: Brian A on April 06, 2016, 10:23:18 PM
Speaking of SPOT, anybody want the link to share with family or friends...

I'd like that!  Been thinking about getting one myself...

JBMFT

Quote from: Brian A on April 06, 2016, 10:23:18 PM
Speaking of SPOT, anybody want the link to share with family or friends so they can keep up with us ?

Yes please!