RFP #SE: Key West Iron Butt, April 13-17

Started by gharshman, December 13, 2015, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Brian A

Alrighty then here you go:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0n6QOCNhaZhqlEbstzFEMZfdy2Np5lQST

I will turn it on when I leave my initial gas fillup Wednesday morning. I plan to have it going every time we ride, for the duration of the trip.

The link is active now but no map or location pins will show (since I don't have it on updating location points to log).

For those who want to share it with friends or family....
It updates every few minutes, not every few seconds.
The map is just like using Google maps.
You can zoom in/zoom out and toggle between map view and sat view.

Nice Goat

It has been a while since I searched, but apparently there is now an app for iPhones called "SWConnect" which allows you to report your position to Spotwalla.  Very similar to the SPOT service.  I downloaded the app and am testing it today.  If it works for me today, then I will be running it on my phone for the trip next week and I'll provide my public link also.

There is an app for Android phones called "Bubbler" which also connects to Spotwalla and turns your phone into a tracking device.

The problem with these apps, however, is that they will not work if you do not have cell phone service.  The phones can log your location anywhere you have GPS signal, but they can only send data over cell phone towers, so Brian's SPOT service is more reliable in low service areas.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Nice Goat

Okay, the app works, so here is my Spotwalla link for the trip next week.  Track will only be active from Wednesday to Sunday.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=104cd5706e916db30c

LawnmowerRG

Well, I have been holding out to go. I just picked up another yard. Started trying to figure out how to get it in the schedule. Reality has sank in. If I work 24 hr a day till time to leave I still can't get enough work done. Spring sprang a little early this year.

There is no way I can make it. If I owe anyone on a room just say and I will get the money to you.i really had my heart set on going, but I'm moving my attention to a more reasonable goal for me California Super Bike School in May.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Nice Goat

Nice Goat

Here is the updated list:

Room #1 - Glenn, KevinB, JBMFT
Room #2 - BrianA, Catang5oh
Room #3 - TFanch, Smiley, Chelin
Room #4 - Johnny & Sandy

(Obviously, you guys can rearrange yourselves however you want ... I'm just dropping names into slots...)

LawnmowerRG

Thank
Quote from: Nice Goat on April 08, 2016, 10:23:43 AM
Quote from: LawnmowerRG on April 08, 2016, 09:56:24 AM
...Reality has sank in....

No problem, bro.  Making a living comes first!

I don't think I have seen a spring like this (work wise) in about 10 years.

I'm scheduling stuff a month out now, and still have people to call back. It's a good problem to have.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

catang5oh

So, i had an idea pop up today while doing that work thing. I use a free conference call app for work, which allows multiple parties to participate in the call. I thought about the limits to bluetooth systems between riders, but most phone plans come with unlimited minutes. I was wondering how many here are running bluetooth and have phones connected during riding. It would be a great way to keep the time going by while hammering along the highway.

Let me know what you think, and dont hold back if it sounds stupid.

jrobinson

I like the idea, but I don't have bluetooth.  I'd like to have a way to keep up with everyone in case we get separated.

At least have a way to signal an unscheduled stop. So everyone doesn't wonder what happened to you.

I'll be running cruise control most of the trip, so I may lag back at times, since I won't be able to match speeds exact.

Brian A

I have my uclear bluetoooth connected to my ipod for music.
It is also connected to my phone but I generally don't even have my phone turned on unless I expect to make or receive a call.

My phone stays in my jacket pocket and I have never tried voice activated dialing while riding via the uclear.

I'd be a sketchy participant but am willing to give it a try if that's what others want to do.

Nice Goat

As of this moment, we have nine bikes & ten people confirmed.

With that many bikes riding together for 1,000 miles, it will require effort from everybody to keep the group together.

As ride leader, this is my plan to help keep the group together:

• Set cruise control/throttle lock at a reasonable speed, barely over the speed limit.
  • Make sure that we stop for fuel every 125 miles, per the itinerary.
  • Make sure that we get at least 20 minutes at every rest/fuel stop.
  • Lunch will be at Subway in Lloyd, FL (the halfway point).  We'll take about 45 minutes there.
  • Rest stops will probably expand to 30 minutes after Lloyd to combat fatigue.
  • All of this is subject to group approval and acceptance.

I would prefer to keep the group together as much as possible so that we can monitor each other and help each other if necessary.  My hope is that reasonable speeds and generous rest breaks will help with that.

Conference call sounds like a neat idea, but I don't know if I could do it the whole way down.  I'll probably start the day listening to music, but after lunch I will need some human interaction to keep my energy up.  We will definitely want to talk to each other going through Orlando and Miami.

Kevin and I both have the Sena bluetooth system, so I was thinking of asking him to ride sweep position, so he could contact me if anybody had a problem.  Despite what I said above, we want to make sure that everybody gets to Key Largo in one piece.

Regarding tools, I packed mine last night.  This is what I am bringing:

• Ratchets and extensions -- 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive
  • Sockets and combination wrenches -- 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm
  • 27mm socket for rear axle, 22mm hex for front axle
  • Wrenches & pliers -- medium crescent, small crescent, medium channellock, small vise grip, medium needle nose
  • Multi-tool with various bits -- hex, torx, etc.
  • Small wire cutters, electrical tape, zip ties and duct tape
  • Screwdrivers -- flat head and Phillips in medium, small and precision
  • Small bottle of Slime.  (I think Kevin is bringing a flat repair kit and small pump.)
  • Bag of various sizes of o-rings

So if you don't want to bring a bunch of tools, just bring anything you might need that is not in the list above (e.g., SAE sockets)

catang5oh

I will set up the conference call thing, and provide the number. Basically you call in and enter a pin# and you are in the call. I will look into easier alternatives that dont require anything but dialing the number from your phone. I will also be riding to music, but the nice part is anyone can join or leave the call anytime they like.

KevinB

I bought a new Sena 10S to replace my SMH10, and have had trouble getting it to pair with Shane's SMH10 (my old SMH10 would pair no problem). If I can't get it to pair with Glenn, I'll add him to one of the three speed dial positions on the 10S so I can contact him mid-flight.

KevinB

Flat repair-wise, I'll have a Stop-N-Go mushroom plug kit, some rope style plugs, and a small compressor. Anyone with tubes that has a flat, I can hold a flashlight for you...

Brian A

Good stuff Glenn.

Two things I will mention. Two things that mimic my practices on previous long distance rides.

a) I do NOT worry about trying to keep a tight group when on the interstate in congested/busy metro areas. Two much lane changing and speeding up/slowing down just for the sake of keeping everyone nose-to-tail is not a good practice in my mind. Once traffic and congestion is cleared it is pretty easy to get the group back together. I'm not talking about getting separated by miles. I'm talking about not worrying if a few cars get between me and the bike in front or behind.   (Side note - this is why I hate those dumb parade type rides where everybody feels like they have to ride two-abreast or nose-to-tail, with no interruption to "their" group formation. But I digress....)

b) I will not (with a big emphasis on NOT) ride anywhere near close behind a semi, bus, motorhome, or other large vehicle while cruising down the interstate at speed. The thought of a tire casing or lost tread or 4x4 or ladder or who-knows-what,  getting kicked up and smacking me about the head is not something that is appealing.
Nor will I ride along side any of the above while waiting to complete a pass.
Both pose unacceptable risks, for me at least. Others might feel different. But since I won't be in the lead, this is not likely to be an issue for me.

It is rare that I have found myself in either undesirable situation on a group ride with guys I know and consider to be good, responsible riders. That said, circumstances come up that we can't always predict. So if you see me speed up or slow down to accomplish a resolution to either a) or b), you will know why.

I will have my very small Slime 12V compressor and tire plugs (sticky rope stuff) and a few basic tools.