News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Likes to camp from Tuscaloosa!

Started by Dharkey, March 15, 2016, 08:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dharkey

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to biking or camping.
My riding buddy is moving to Montana and I am checking to see if there are any other guys that might like to ride and camp.

I am down to one large touring bike right now, but I am getting a Honda Africa Twin sometime in May and looking for opportunities to meet, ride and camp with some new faces.

Are there others from the Tuscaloosa area that can show me the ropes on some good forest service road riding near Tuscaloosa?

I drove to Homer, Alaska and back last summer (11,500 miles in 23 days)...and just got back from Key West a couple of weeks ago. Heading to Maine and Nova Scotia in August. So, I'm not opposed to distance riding, even to meet riders for rides, but I would like to meet some folks in my "backyard".

Chitza

Lots of riding and camping here. Welcome!

And with an Africa Twin, you shouldn't have any trouble finding friends here. We're shallow like that :)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

lk2rd

Welcome from Ttown.  Hope to see you around.

DachshundUberAlles

Can't help you with the camping because I don't ride off road anymore, but it's great to see someone in Tuscaloosa. Welcome, and watch the "Let's Ride" and "Planned Ride" sections. You'll be happily welcomed on any of the rides I post, and I know you'll enjoy the loops we run.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

klaviator

Welcome from Huntsville.  I like to ride and camp and plan on doing a few weekend ride and camp trips to N. GA and NC.  Keep an eye on the planned rides section for upcoming rides.

TFancher

I'm in TTown myself. Welcome to the circus. I ride often but my camping has been a little bit lacking lately due to work.  There's no lack of opportunity here though. Watch the forum for rides and we will have to get out and ride soon. Im curious about the AT. Im looking forward to seeing one myself. Do you have one preordered? Locally I'm finding the dealers know little about it.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

jrobinson

Welcome from N. Al.

We have a group Iron Butt ride. (not as weird as it sounds). Heading to the Keys.

In May a great dualsport ride in Bankhead Forest. http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=727.0

Keep an eye out for more.

Holler if you have any questions.

Dharkey

On the Africa Twin...yes, I have pre-ordered through Smith's Sport Cycle. I had to educate them a little because I've been following the development and introduction of the bike for at least 2 years now. I ordered a red one with standard transmission. They also have an automatic with great reviews from riders all over the world. The bike will arrive in USA sometime around May 2016. Only offered red and silver. Other parts of the world have white with blue and red striping and also a solid black.
If Smiths can get a second bike, they have that one pre-sold to Barbers Motor Sports for display.

Dharkey

Oh...and thanks all for the welcome.
I'm currently riding with the Southern Cruisers group out of Tuscaloosa, but they are big bike tourers mainly riding for meals 150-200 miles. I'm also looking for some 50/50 asphalt off-road experiences.

lazeebum

bergman32

VWCarlos

Welcome from Montgomery and from a fellow camper. I do all types of camping from Motorcycle camping to vintage VW bus camping to long haul backpacking.
2007 Yamaha V-star 1100

Nice Goat

Love to camp ... Planning to get another dual sport soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."