Friday, April 8, First 2016 Stab at The Big TN Dirt Loop

Started by kdtrull, April 03, 2016, 10:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdtrull

We inadvertently hijacked Muss' ride report to start a discussion about another stab at the Big TN Dirt Loop which is an extended version of the classic TN Dirt Devil loop.  Sorry Muss.  Anyone interested on going next Friday, April 8, chime in here.  It's a long way for most members for a day ride.  Post up with thoughts and suggestions.  Consider Centerville, TN for your weather based decisions.  The weather there is not the same as here.  As of today, there is 50% chance of rain there Friday.  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday are showing good weather options.  I'm off all week and fully flexible.

Quote from: Yankee Dog on April 03, 2016, 07:40:18 AM
Dang.  Why does reality have to get in the way of my fun.  Currently the weather doesn't not look all that bad on Friday.  A little cool, but only 25% chance for rain.  I can live with that.  I don't know if I can pull off the camping part.  I may just have to ride up in the morning.  What time would you expect kick stands up?

I'm not rigid on departure time.  But, I think we should be moving from "somewhere" near or north of here by 0700 to have any chance of completing the entire route....and we'll ride until the someone says "enough".  If that is unreasonable then we'll start when we can and ride as long as we can.  Who knows, we may be able to ride the whole route.  But, history is not on our side for full completion.  Coming from Decatur, I think you should consider where you want to meet.  You may not want to ride all the way to Killen?  The southern tip of the good stuff starts a few miles north of the Meriwether Lewis site on the Trace and the peak fun stuff is up near Dixon.  It's entirely up to you.  Randy is all in too.  I guess it's time to post on Let's Ride and see if anyone else wants to come along.

Muss

I can't SP my house until about 930. I can always meet y'all somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdtrull

There's a huge gap between the Weather Channel forecast and the NWS.  NWS looks much better.  We'll just have to see how it goes.

Muss, what time do you think you could make it to Meriwether Lewis site?  A later time may be better for others too and we'll just ride as much as we can.
Maybe Yankee Dog will chime in soon.

Yankee Dog

I can only do Friday and I think I am in for camping Thursday night.  Poop.  Where did I put my sleeping bag.  And how bad do you think the bugs are this time of year.

Yankee Dog

Hi def radar says Friday mostly sunny and 53 deg.   

Roll the dice. 

kdtrull

Quote from: Yankee Dog on April 03, 2016, 08:00:13 PM
I can only do Friday and I think I am in for camping Thursday night.  Poop.  Where did I put my sleeping bag.  And how bad do you think the bugs are this time of year.

Now we're talking.  If that's the case, we stand a high probability of completing the entire route without having to give up anything.  Randy and I rode up in the general area on Saturday and never splattered the first bug.

Tennesseevol51

Hey I am interested in going but not camping.I live just off the trace south of Collinwood.
Mostly dirt roads? Any single Track?
What will be close to total milage?
Lazeebum told me to check this thread out.

kdtrull

We've seen a few horse trails on private property.  Never been brave enough to try it.  Some signs mention spikes and such....I find hard to belive but you never know.  Welcome to come along.  I'd have to do some basecamp measurements for total miles.  Seat time is roughly 10-12 hours.  Mostly dirt/chirt/gravel/mud with some interconnecting slab.  I expect some roads to be trashed with all the rain they've had up there.  Tens of water crossings.....some may be flooded.

kdtrull

One more thing...if you're looking for all hard core, I'd recommend looking up Jason / ihatefalling on ADV, otherwise known as Middle TN Dual Sport Riders.  They are fast-movers and out of my league for the most part.  They were kind enough to let me tag along a couple times.  They often ride the most treacherous parts of sequatchie valley trails and thereabouts.

lazeebum

I'm hoping they don't get anymore rain. I prefer to avoid slick mud and deep deep water crossings.

Yankee Dog

Quote from: lazeebum on April 04, 2016, 05:39:28 AM
I'm hoping they don't get anymore rain. I prefer to avoid slick mud and deep deep water crossings.

I am with you.  It's a lot way from home to push a flooded bike. 

Muss

There was nothing remotely deep when I was there last week. That northern loop was a lot of fun. Must have been 12 creek crossings in 45 min.  I'll probably sit this one out if y'all are camping Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazeebum

I remember there being a lot of water crossings. We did not even try to cross one on Tatum Creek road, it was so slick that it was difficult to stand up in, let alone navigate with a motorcycle.

Nice Goat

I'll miss this trip, but I really want to do this as a camping trip later this year.  I ordered the map last week, and it arrived today.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."