News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

CRF150F maintenance

Started by Joe Shimano, June 09, 2016, 05:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Shimano

Picked this up last night "for the kids".

2006 Honda CRF150F.  The man bought it for his sons to ride around the farm.  The oldest road it for an hour and told his dad he didn't like it!  Dad MADE him ride it for another hour (good dad right there) an son still didn't like it.  Youngest son piddled around on it for a while and lost interest so it was parked in the garage for a couple years. 

A couple years pass and younger son tried to ride but it wouldn't crank.  Dad takes it to dealership to have the carb rebuilt, brings it home and puts in the garage for the next 8 years.  Finally posted it on Craig's List where I pounced on it.

The bike is in about show room condition with original everything.

It does leak gas out the carb so I've got to pull that tonight and see what's inside.  Gunk and stuck floats I'm sure.  It does crank and runs but rough after the 8 year nap it had.

catang5oh

Those are great bikes. That's what Suzy rode till Nick grew into it. Ours is a 2007 and never a lick of trouble except carb gunk from sitting. I recommend finding a power up kit, they are cheap but these bikes are lean as crap factory.
Pine sol that carb real good and give it a try. Holler if you need any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe Shimano

Thanks. Kinda confused on the oil change. Apparently oil and transmission is in separate reservoirs. It has 2 drain plugs; one under skid plate and one behind shifter. Which is which?

Two YouTube videos on how to do an oil change. One guy does the one behind the shifter, the other does the one under the skid plate.  Both say they are changing the oil. Could just be different year Hondas.  IDK

jrobinson

Postmaster

Joe Shimano

Ive seen worse. Cleaned both jets. Don't see anything making the floats stick. Why else would it leak from the overflow?

Going to pick up Pine sol 8)

kdtrull

Needle seat rotted??  Cracks in the float(s)??

Take the float assembly off, shake it, listen for sloshing.  Hold it under gas or cleaner, pinch it, look for bubbles.

Don't have a test for the needle valve...sorry.

Joe Shimano

Floats 'appear' to be in good shape - no visible cracks/sloshing.  Soaking in Pine sol overnight. I think they just need height adjusted.

FYI

If this bike has an oil reservoir and a transmission reservoir I can't find it. Only 1 drain plug under skid plate. I just dumped out OLD oil and put in fresh. Absolutely no place I can find to drain the second reservoir or put in fresh. Going to keep Googling that one.

Chitza

Quote from: kdtrull on June 09, 2016, 07:14:17 PM
Take the float assembly off, shake it, listen for sloshing.  Hold it under gas or cleaner, pinch it, look for bubbles.
Sounds like the test I do to see if the cat is dead or just sleeping 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

kdtrull

Quote from: Chitza on June 09, 2016, 08:02:44 PM
Quote from: kdtrull on June 09, 2016, 07:14:17 PM
Sounds like the test I do to see if the cat is dead or just sleeping 8)

Now, that there's funny!

Joe Shimano

Quote from: jrobinson on June 09, 2016, 01:31:31 PM
Here's info on the "R". Looks like 2 compartments.

http://crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21330&sid=1dab6e89549e253a07ea76e230bbebbf

That must be where I'm getting the two reservoir thing.  The R has it, but not the F

Thanks

SpeedyR

big difference in the "R" and "F" 150's. :)

I have found two things from spending a bunch of time getting a TTR125 running that sat for a few years:

replace the jets instead of cleaning them. that fixed some of my issues.

soak the whole carb assembly in Yamaha Carb soak stuff. It's a bottle that you mix 50/50 or something with water and let carb parts soak overnight. I did that on the TTR carbs and was pretty impressed with the outcome. I had a lot of issues with gas leaking and had to get a new o-ring that was up on top of the needle valve on the float bowl that was keeping it from stopping.

griff

Sam has a CRF150F. They only have one drain plug. There's not two reservoirs on them. Go ahead and adjust the valves while your messing with it if you don't know when they were done last. We had a cam chain issue with hers at the Free State ride. The cam chain jumped time. The exhaust valve hit the piston. It's kinda weird. The bike ran fine at home before we loaded it up. When we unloaded it over there it jumped time when we tried to start it.

The only things similar about CRF150F's and CRF150R's are they both happen to be around 150cc's and are both made by honda. That's about where it ends.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Joe Shimano

http://owners.honda.com/assets/ownerlink/model/own_man/powersports/2007/2007_crf150f.pdf

Here's a PDF to the owners manual

Does anyone have a service manual they could loan out?

Joe Shimano

After an I've night soak in pine sol, unclogged slow jet, new gas with a couple jiggers of sea foam, a long soak in hot water, and a tweak or two on the float height it no longer leaks gas ( for now )

I still need to reject it and see if I can make it run smoothly. Going to have to experiment on that.

EDIT:  spoke to soon.  Took a loop through the neighborhood and its pissing gas out the overflow. Arrrgghhhhh