News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Next Gymkhana?

Started by Sean Patrick, June 27, 2016, 07:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Patrick

Good morning, folks!

Is there a plan for a Gymkhana event sometime this summer or fall? I attended one of these in the fall of 2014, and I really sucked (as it turned out the tires of my Speed Triple were at least 15psi low (20 for the rear), I learned a lot from that). I bought a gauge and a compressor the next weekend, and will never wait for service to have my tires checked again. I went from a casual to an active motorcycle owner after that.

I loved that event, and I would really like to attend again. And I would like to make this an event that my RAT Pack here could travel to and attend as a group. Our pack events usually round up about 6 or 8 members.

Please let me know if there is a plan so I can drum up interest. Thanks!

Cheers!

jrobinson

Sean, our biggest problem is finding a good location. We have one, but have to work around team sport schedules. The last Gymkhana we had was about this time last year.

We us to have GP8 course setup at different locations around Bham a couple years ago. This doesn't take a lot of room and only 3-4 cones.

If you can secure a place to have a Gymkhana, we have the cones and volunteers to put one on.

Sean Patrick

Quote from: jrobinson on June 27, 2016, 08:24:09 AM
Sean, our biggest problem is finding a good location. We have one, but have to work around team sport schedules. The last Gymkhana we had was about this time last year.

We us to have GP8 course setup at different locations around Bham a couple years ago. This doesn't take a lot of room and only 3-4 cones.

If you can secure a place to have a Gymkhana, we have the cones and volunteers to put one on.

Very cool! Let me bump heads with local riders to see if hosting one here with your assistance sounds feasible. I will reach out to some locations.

I did enjoy the ride down to Birmingham for the one I attended. I took some back roads and learned a bit more about my new home.

What is GP8?

jrobinson

GP8 is 2 cones 12 meters apart, with a start/finish gate 3 meters from one cone. You run a figure-8 around the cones for  5 laps, then stop in the finish box.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Sean Patrick on June 27, 2016, 08:29:11 AM
Quote from: jrobinson on June 27, 2016, 08:24:09 AM.

What is GP8?

it's a time machine, social event, moto skill hone, and grin inducer that looks like nothing from a distance.

KrisCook

I'm spoiling for a gymkhana myself.   ;D
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Sean Patrick

Cool video!

Who is the keeper of the old videos now? There were several videos of the fall 2014 gymkhana, to include me looking like an idiot on my Speed Triple (with the grotesquely underinflated tires....). I would love to see that again!

jrobinson

everyone has youtube or vimeo accounts where the videos are stored. The oldest post here has some videos in it.

Chitza

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Fencejumper09

How secured does it need to be?

Abandoned building parking lot?

There are a couple of abandoned office buildings at the end of Bagby Rd in Homewood that have potential.

I need to run over there to see the condition of the pavement if anyone would be willing to participate in an unsanctioned event........
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

jrobinson

For a full blown event, we would need permission from the land owner. Pavement needs to be in decent shape, but we can work around a few bad spots and gravel.

Sean Patrick

Has anybody written down a guidance for how to organize a Gymkhana event? I would like to organize one if Bama Rides is not planning one this year. I would like to know what I could do prior to asking some of you folks to come volunteer. Thanks!

Of course, I will begin by looking for a venue. Is there a waiver to be signed between myself and the venue? Is there a standard waiver for each participant to sign?

I am also thinking of a smaller event, such as the PG8 mentioned above. That seems like a simple way to develop some skills in a group setting that requires much less space.

Chitza

There is a waiver for participants. I'm not sure about between BR and the venue.

GP8s are are good way to start interest and are easy to organize. To my knowledge there is not a written "Policy and Procedure" for the event. But I can hammer one out...just don't know when. I'm kinda pre-occupied for the next 30 days :D
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

springer

All you really need for a GP8 is 4-6 cones. I forget the dimensions but someone will coming along shortly and provide them.

Speaking of forgetting, :) who has the Bamarides cones?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrobinson

Quote from: Sean Patrick on July 06, 2016, 12:37:53 PM
Has anybody written down a guidance for how to organize a Gymkhana event? I would like to organize one if Bama Rides is not planning one this year. I would like to know what I could do prior to asking some of you folks to come volunteer. Thanks!

Of course, I will begin by looking for a venue. Is there a waiver to be signed between myself and the venue? Is there a standard waiver for each participant to sign?

I am also thinking of a smaller event, such as the PG8 mentioned above. That seems like a simple way to develop some skills in a group setting that requires much less space.

Step 1 - Find a venue.

Step 2 - Set a Date.

Step 3 - Tell us you have a venue.

Step 4 - Be available to ramrod.

Info on GP8 - http://amgrass.com/forum/course-maps/g8-standard-course-layout-(official-measurements)/?PHPSESSID=uot3psfj7lkf1he33rqht9jhv7