News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Dodge City Trip--The Rest of the Story

Started by renchinrider, October 02, 2016, 09:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renchinrider

Fellow Riders,

Something happened to me in Dodge City that I didn't mention in my ride report, but it made me reflect on motorcycling and some of the things that make me appreciate the community of motorcyclists:

I volunteered to help the local supporting staff with traffic control as the Cannonball riders started coming in.  Sometime while I was distracted, someone stole my leather jacket, complete with my new Cannonball t-shirt I had bought less than an hour earlier.  As word spread about my jacket, the support staff and a plain clothes police officer helped me search for it.  No luck.

As I discussed (or, more accurately, vented and cried) the loss of my jacket with them, I told them that I was sure of only one thing:  No rider would have taken it.  It had to be some derelict spectator who stole it to either wear or re-sell.  I told them I have attended riding events ranging from Fuji Blue Sky in Japan to Sturgis, and countless rallies in between.  I can't guess how many thousands of riders I have camped and mingled with at those events.  And in all this time, no one has ever taken a single thing from me, and I have never heard of anyone else having anything stolen from them, either.

There is a mutual respect and camaraderie among motorcyclists that exists in few other communities.  We don't leave each other stranded on the side of the road.  We don't mess with each others' bikes.   And, we don't walk off with another rider's stuff. 

My jacket was a Christmas gift from my wife many years ago, and its sentimental value is priceless.  But the silver lining in this dark cloud is that its loss caused me to stop and reflect on what I appreciate the most about motorcycling and the community of other riders.  Hope each of you appreciates being a part of the riding community as much as I do!

Rench

Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

lazeebum

I noticed that when I started riding.  I have experienced good natured ribbing from other folks about riding a "rice burner", but nothing more.

Guidedawg

Sorry about the low down thief, but in agreement that no rider would have done it.

lk2rd

When I have ridden to Vintage Fest, I have left my jacket, helmet, and gloves on the bike.  That would be all day and so far, nothing has happened.  With such a large crowd,  that is really saying something.