Millington, Tennesee and back, plus a few wrong turns.

Started by Crandon, October 03, 2016, 11:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crandon

Was invited to an event at the USA Baseball Stadium in Millington this past weekend.  Left the house at 05:30 on Saturday and headed to City Cafe in Huntsville (47 degrees) to meet up with the others that were going.  Got there and only one other person showed up.  While eating and waiting for the others to show up we got to talking and Randford told me "my bike is leaking oil and not sure where it is coming from", but he said he would check it every time we stopped and ride until it blew up.  Getting read to leave City Cafe, we determined in the early morning sun light that it was actually radiator fluid that was leaking - so no big deal and we would pull over when and if he needed to.  Come to find out he had overfilled the radiator and it was coming out the overflow tube.

Left at 7:24 heading down I565 to Hwy72 west through Decatur, between Courtland and Town Creek we were down to one lane (bridge replacement) and then we had a couple of miles of milled up asphalt to ride on.  Smooth riding after that.  We were stopped at a red light in Tuscumbia and I asked where he wanted to stop and since we were both good on fuel he said for me to stop whenever I wanted.  After crossing the state line we rode a short while and stopped in a small town of Burnsville to grab a drink and to remove a layer of clothing because the temps had started to rise. (65*)  Randford said that he wanted to stop at the Honda shop in Corinth to get a new helmet (Lake Hill Motors & Marine) so that was our next stop.  If you are going through Corinth take some extra time and check the place out.  They aren't the friendliest bunch - they were busy, but the motorcycles are worth the look.

Not a lot of traffic going across Mississippi after Corinth until we got almost to Memphis and the was back down to two-lane from four-lane.  Just as we were nearing Colliersville we passed under a road that didn't have any signage as to what the road was and the next road that we went under was I240/TN385.  I got to thinking and didn't remember I240 on the directions that Google Map provided.  We stopped in Colliersville to check where I messed up with the directions, got the bikes washed by some Boy Scouts raising money, and found out the road without the signage was where we needed to turn. 

Finally made it to the event in time before things got started and had a blast at watching some of the bike games; mini-bike races, slow roll, road kill, keg roll, keg toss, plunger run, and balloon pop.  It was an open event but got to meet Widows Sons from several states(TN, MS, AR, MO, IL< AL), Law Dogs LE/MC, Lawful Sons LE/MC, Combat Vets, Freemason Riders, Temple Guard, and numerous other riders not affiliated with a group.

The ride back was uneventful and relaxing.  During our gas stop somewhere in the middle of Mississippi, I found out that Randford use to drive a truck for a living.  I was making a comment about stopping in the same place back in '96 and '97 when I was traveling back and forth between Cullman and Ft Leonardwood whenever I got a long weekend and didn't have duty at the Reception Battalion.  He said that he was just thinking about when they finally built a restaurant close to the gas station and about a wreck he seen one time while he was stopped for fuel.

Finally arrived back home at 21:15 and 480 miles of good riding and learning there are places with what seems to be one of a kind bike that I might not see anywhere else.  I will post pictures from my phone here in a few minutes.

Guidedawg

Fun! I had seen some of the games on other sites and am glad you made it out there.  Pity about others not showing up but at least your friend didn't have any actual bike problems to show up later.

lazeebum

You are right about Lake Hill not being friendly x but they move a lot units because of their prices. That being said, I prefer a local dealer if I can get what I want there within the taxes, and, or a small difference in pricing. We have a good Japanese dealer in Florence x so I trade with them now. My first new bike came from Lake Hill, but after Brian began running the dealership in Florence, things improved and I have bought three different bikes from them.

Al Goodwin

Millington ya say?   

That's were I took my first win roadracing 8), Millington Motorsports park.....

I know they don't roadrace there anymore, track was a bit of a dump :-\, rough, needed a repave, and racing thru the staging area of the drag races the night before :o was a bit hairy as well.

anyway, glad y'all had a safe ride.