News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Fall Getaway

Started by klaviator, October 11, 2016, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweeper

That RV belongs to some of my riding buddies from the VFRD forum. Misty and Jason built the RV and the "old" GS in the picture. There are some cool videos that they shot when you saw them up there. Check out HawkGirl on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZa13r-quQU

klaviator

Quote from: Sweeper on October 19, 2016, 04:29:41 PM
That RV belongs to some of my riding buddies from the VFRD forum. Misty and Jason built the RV and the "old" GS in the picture. There are some cool videos that they shot when you saw them up there. Check out HawkGirl on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZa13r-quQU

Interesting.  I would have never guessed that was a GS550 and I have owned a couple of them.  Cool video.  That is a really scenic spot to shoot video or pics.

klaviator

We needed to be checked out of our motel room by 11:00 so I got back around 9:30 to help do that. We decided to walk across the street to Joey's Pancake House for breakfast and then after that we would go for a ride before coming back and getting out truck at the motel. As it had been all week there had was a crowd waiting to get into Joey's. Our wait was about 25 minutes but I had gone over and got in line before we finished checking out so our wait was only about 10-15 minutes. We were wondering how the pancakes here compared to the pancakes at the Maggie Valley Restaurant. We got some blueberry pancakes along with some other stuff. Overall I thought my breakfast at Joey's was better than MVR but Debbi and I agreed that the pancakes at MVR were better.

Then it was time to do some more riding. We decided to go back to the BRP. Yes we had already ridden it a few days ago but the leaves were gotten much more colorful in those few days. So Debbi took over the cameraman duties and off we went. Debbi ended up taking over 100 pictures in the 55 or so miles we rode. Good thing this wasn't the old days of having film in the camera's. Anyway, here's a few of those pics:

I took this next one with my Sony.

When we first got on the parkway there seemed to be a lot of slow moving leef peepers and we thought this would be a real slow ride. It turned out that the traffic thinned out and we were able to ride at a decent pace much of the time.  I don't know that I would want to ride the BRP on the weekend in October unless it was on a moped.  Anyway, more pics:

We were hoping to get the colorful background in this pic but it didn't work out.

When we got back to the motel, the plan was for Debbi to drive the truck to Sevierville where we would spend the next two nights and I would take the "scenic" route on the scooter.  My plan was to ride a couple of old favorites as well as check out a new road.

klaviator

Heading out from MV I took the scenic and twisty route to get to I-40.

I-40 at this point is not your typical interstate. It is very curvy and scenic. I was only on it for a few miles them exited on to a "road" I haven't ridden in years.  The road sign was missing but this was Hurricane Creek Road.  I had previously ridden it many times on my XT350 but never on my KLR because it would just be too much work on the KLR.  So now I was riding it on my scooter

It's rougher than any of the pics show so I had to keep the speed pretty low.

This is as far as I rode.   I took some pics before turning around.

Heading back towards I-40

You have to be careful at the end of this road or you might just become some truck's hood ornament.  This road has no entry or exit ramp on to the interstate.

Then it was back on I-40 to find another of my favorite roads.  I call the next road "the dragon's evil twin"

klaviator

The view shortly after exiting the interstate.

Soon I was on a road similar to Deal's Gap except it's twistier and just to keep the riff raff away it starts out like this.

Then it turns in to a diabolically twisty road with very little traffic. I didn't get stuck behind a single car or slow moving motorcycle. 

After that I worked my way to Sevierville to meet Debbi. On the way I found another really nice road I had never ridden before.  That was the end of the riding part of this vacation.  I really enjoyed this one.  The weather was about perfect and the roads fantastic.  If you have never ridden this area you need to. 

I hope Ya'll enjoyed my pics and story.  Thanks for following along.