Ride to South Alabama 9/15/12: Mt. Nebo Baptist Church Cemetary

Started by KrisCook, September 18, 2015, 04:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrisCook

To re-create one of my favorite rides, back before Dad came to live with me:

This place is on the National Register of Historic Places.  It's mainly full of headstones that say Nettles and Burrell.  Isaac Nettles was a genius and his is a great story.  What makes this little cemetery special is the "death mask" headstones it contains.

The museum was built and filled by Major Tommy Hart, retired Mobile Police Department.  It is in his front yard, which is close to the old church and cemetary.  I did my first dirt road riding on this ride, too.  The dirt roads weren't bad, but there were some sandy spots that felt like I was riding on butter.  I was nervous and too tight, as my sore arms and shoulders today are telling on me. 

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

Nice Goat

Nice report, Kris.  I've been wanting to go see that cemetery.

Fixed the video links for ya'
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

KrisCook

Thanks! I have no idea how to get the videos embedded, obviously.

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

springer

Yep, that was a fun day! In addition to some cool headstones, dirty riding, one heck of a cool Indian museum, and some way cool people to ride with, who could forget this cute doggy?

;D

And if you go riding in the country like we did, you are bound to come into contact with some wild life. Like that friendly horse fly that hopped on my jacket and got a bit to close to me! ;) Nothing like a horse fly nibble at 60 mph.  :)

All in all, a great day. One I will remember for ever.

Thanks Kris for posting this up!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

kdtrull

Wow....Cool looking place.  Kind of a more literal twist on "head"stones.  Nice report.  Thanks for sharing.

KrisCook

I'm so glad you had that picture! I looked all over for it. No wonder I couldn't find it - YOU took it! That was a stinky Lost spot. It took us all working together to get there. You got us close, I had the coordinates, and jrou knew how to put them into his navigator. What a wild day.

I am going to stick my face in some plaster of Paris and see if I can make one of those! I can't believe that idea hasn't caught on.

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom