News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

My FIRST night of Flat track racing.

Started by Al Goodwin, June 14, 2017, 09:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Goodwin

Having never ridden dirt/flat track, I was a nervous wreck.....Athens, Alabama in an arena WAY to small for motorcycle racing...but, it was perfect for a first timer.

My wife had bought me a '77 Yamaha XS650, that had been raced before, so the set-up was good, I learned later I need better shocks ???.

First practice, on a bike I had NEVER RIDDEN

Al Goodwin

They gave me, the FIRST TIME RACER, a few laps solo for practice.

Al Goodwin

My first heat race, 5 in the class.....I finish 3rd.

Al Goodwin

Well,...I can't locate the video of my first WIN, My 2nd heat race, 6 bikes in the class, and I take the win.

I do however have my first "MAIN" race win...

At the start, coming out of turn 2, Well...that's what they called it, seemed like we were turning ALL THE TIME :o

Anyway, me and another guy got tangled up, he crashed, and out comes the red flag.

I'll say "Thank GOD for re-starts".....3 abreast coming out and I pull just enough of a lead to hold them off into 3....

My FIRST Main WIN, on my first time ever racing flat track.

Chitza

So AWESOME!! Team FOAB!! We need stickers!
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

RubyRider

Man thats so cool! That looks like another way to have a blast on 2 wheels!
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Al Goodwin

Quote from: RubyRider on June 14, 2017, 09:44:30 PM
Man thats so cool! That looks like another way to have a blast on 2 wheels!

AND it's a HELLUVA lot cheaper than road racing.  I talked to a guy that'd been racing the same tires for FIVE(5) YEARS :o

He said when the left side wears out, just turn'em around and BAM...NEW TIRES AGAIN. ::)

RubyRider

Whats the criteria for a bike to join in on this type fun?   ...........................Geeesh, Like I need another bike!   ::)
If you aint smokin, you are eatin dust!

Al Goodwin

Quote from: RubyRider on June 14, 2017, 09:54:51 PM
Whats the criteria for a bike to join in on this type fun?   ...........................Geeesh, Like I need another bike!   ::)

2 wheels, one engine.....looked to me that was about it.

norton73

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Al Goodwin

Quote from: norton73 on June 15, 2017, 06:40:39 AM
Jay Springsteen, watch out!

:)

Now THAT is funny......  I've gotta get better on my turn in >:(....I was a bit tentative going in :-\...... All in time, I guess.

kdtrull

Mulley

This looks awesome. Winning the main your first time out it ridiculous. Serious congratulations are in order.

I need to get my DRZ back together and take it for a spin around the oval.

Do you have to remove or disconnect the front brake? Don't they have a knobby tire class too?
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Mulley on June 15, 2017, 05:04:10 PM
This looks awesome. Winning the main your first time out it ridiculous. Serious congratulations are in order.

I need to get my DRZ back together and take it for a spin around the oval.

Do you have to remove or disconnect the front brake? Don't they have a knobby tire class too?

YEP on the knobby class...last race of the night.  Not sure about front brakes, none of the bikes had'em...they even have a "NO brake class" :o

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Mulley on June 15, 2017, 05:04:10 PM
. Winning the main your first time out it ridiculous.

Well...I won "A MAIN"...each class had heat races to set starting order, and a "main" later on.  Each class had 2 rounds of practice, 4-5 laps each.

So, overall, I had 4 practice rounds, 2 heat races, and 2 mains....PLENTY of track time for a "Fat. Old, and Balding"(FOaB) guy :-\

BUT, I NEED more practice....gotta get in hotter and deeper. :o....Uhh.....well, y'all know what I mean. 8)