News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Southeast riding destinations

Started by Guidedawg, August 15, 2017, 04:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guidedawg

I'm a dreamer and a planner, and I plan 90% more trips than I actually take.  Nevertheless, I like to be prepared. :)

So I have a 3 day weekend Oct 7-9 and a relative getting married in North Alabama on Friday, Oct 6.  I'm kicking around the idea of going up on my bike if the weather is good for it, crashing with my BIL in Meridianville that night and then heading out early on Saturday the 7th for new-to-me destinations.

Google maps puts me anywhere from 4 to 4 1/2 hours from Suches, so I should be able to be there by lunchtime, toss a tent down and have the afternoon and all day Sunday to explore.  Since I have never been on any of the "named" roads (Dragon, Moonshiner, etc.) or any of those others that some of you have traveled and find even more fun to ride, it will all be new to me.

To be honest, I don't really care to be able to say "I rode such and such road" if there are more enjoyable and less crowded routes.  I assumed I'd take in the Tail of the Dragon because...well, it seems to be a requirement if you live around here but I'd prefer to try that on a non-weekend when there's less people because I don't have much experience with "real" twisties.  However, I'm not terribly intimidated either so I'd like to take in some of what's offered in the area.

Or should I go further north (but shorter distance) and try the Cherohala Skyway and a campground up there?

I figure some of the same roads would be covered either way, so what are you recommendations for a first time visitor to the area?

Jwwr

The dragon (hwy 129), moonshiner (hwy 28), and the cherohala (hwy 143) are all near Robbinsville, NC. Not real close to Suches, GA. There is the Iron horse camp ground not too far From Robbinsville and near hwy 28, I have never stayed there although I did ride through last week to check it out,  seems real nice. On the west end of the Cherohala, you could stay at Cherohala Mountain trails Camp Ground in Tellico, TN. Then you could ride the Cherohala over to Robbinsville ride the dragon and then down hwy 28. Take hwy 28 all the way to Franklin, NC then hit  Wayah road North back to Robbinsville and the Cherohala back to Tellico. Thats a really good long loop.

jrobinson

Quote from: Jwwr on August 15, 2017, 05:33:07 PM
On the west end of the Cherohala, you could stay at Cherohala Mountain trails Camp Ground in Tellico, TN. Then you could ride the Cherohala over to Robbinsville ride the dragon and then down hwy 28. Take hwy 28 all the way to Franklin, NC then hit  Wayah road North back to Robbinsville and the Cherohala back to Tellico. Thats a really good long loop.

THis ^

Yankee Dog

Good plan except ride the dragon first. Take Ballpark red over and approach the dragon from the TN side.   Best to hit it early in the morning.  Then do all the above and head back Tellico way via the Cherohala last. 

Guidedawg

It looks like Iron Horse on the east end has tent sites with electricity which is good for the CPAP, but the campground at Tellico Plains offers a tent for $15 for the stay (2 nights for me) plus the nightly cost.  No electricity, but I wouldn't need to pack the tent (not that it would take up that much space)

Thanks for the assistance.  First hand campground experiences are welcomed.

klaviator

I have camped at Iron Horse as well as Cherohala Mountain Trails.  They are both great places to camp.  You need to decide between the convenience of them providing the tent vs having electricity.  Iron horse will likely be real busy on a weekend in October.  There are only a few sites with electricity so you would want to reserve in advance.  CMTC is a more peaceful place and closer to a town.

kdtrull

Wayne will run a drop cord to your tent at CMTC
If you need it but you have to put up at a reasonable distance to an outlet.  For a cpap, I know he'd do everything he could to hook you up.
There is an outlet near the gazebo thingy.

norton73

Let's just say that at Cherahola you will be treated like family. At Iron Horse you will be just another number.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Guidedawg

I've made my reservation at CMTC.  Electricity is no problem, and I'm going to pay extra to use a tent and cot there instead of bringing gear of my own.

So what about my route from (I assume) Meridianville?  Mileage and time are (according to Google) about the same whether I go north through Winchester taking 50, 11, and 30 down to 310 and the campground, or if take 72 up to I-24 and then go through Chattanooga then I-75 up to 163, 411, and 310 to the campground.

I'm sure Chattanooga is a headache, but I hope to be early on a Saturday morning through there either way.  So since the purpose is to get there as quickly as possible, would the boring (put possible construction/congestion) Interstate be better than the lower limit but probably nicer ride highways?

jrobinson

You'll like the 50 - 111 - 27 - 30 route much better. There are several windy roads up and down the mountains. We rode that route for Glenn's Ride For Pie last April.

We stopped at a nice restaurant in Winchester near Dechard. Sunrise Breakfast.

Next it was to Hwy 50, 108, 399, 111, 30, 411, 310. These were all nice roads, a few had some steep grades and sharp curves.

Give us a couple days notice and maybe we can throw a Flash Mob together while you're here.

Guidedawg

I wish there would be time for that, but I'll be riding up for a wedding in Mooresville on Friday night, (probably) staying in Meridianville afterwards, and leaving early Saturday morning.

The more I read about the number of bikes on TotD on any given weekend, the more I am considering saving that for Monday morning and then going home (via I-85) afterwards.