News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

One of my races from Road Atlanta Sept 12-13

Started by lostinbama, September 21, 2015, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostinbama

It's a 2 wave start. I'm on pole on the second wave. I was having clutch slave cylinder issues so my start sucks and I have a little trouble with the downshifts. The was the second race in back to back races for me. I pass for the lead in my class at the end of the second or third lap. Enjoy and yes the back "straight" is stupid fast

DachshundUberAlles

I love that the vimeo runs without problems. Lately, YouTube has had me in a buffering purgatory. So, how are you enjoying the racing? Beats the heck out of riding these things on the street, doesn't it?
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

lostinbama

Yes it does, but I still miss riding the street. Hopefully I'll have a more upright street bike soon. The racing is going good. It costs a fortune but it looks like I'll be bringing home 4 #1 plates for my efforts this year. The Grand National Final is in about a month at Barber and I hope to get a class win there as well. We'll see.

DachshundUberAlles

You can't say you weren't warned about the tire expense of running a liter bike.  ;)
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

lostinbama

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on September 21, 2015, 05:01:02 PM
You can't say you weren't warned about the tire expense of running a liter bike.  ;)

True but street tires are super cheap in comparison to slicks haha

kdtrull

That is a cool perspective for the type of video.  Do you mind telling where the camera was mounted?
I never could figure it out.

lostinbama

Quote from: kdtrull on September 21, 2015, 10:02:17 PM
That is a cool perspective for the type of video.  Do you mind telling where the camera was mounted?
I never could figure it out.

front nose left side. It's why the engine sounds a little funny in the video. You can hear 1 of the intake air tubes but not the other. You can see it in this pic

klaviator

Awesome video.  Ages ago, like sometime in the last century, I did a California Superbike School at Road Atlanta.  Watching your video, it looks a little familiar.  I do remember what a rush it was riding that track.  I'm glad you were able to pursue your dream of racing.  Congrats on your success. 

lostinbama

Quote from: klaviator on September 23, 2015, 05:08:35 PM
Awesome video.  Ages ago, like sometime in the last century, I did a California Superbike School at Road Atlanta.  Watching your video, it looks a little familiar.  I do remember what a rush it was riding that track.  I'm glad you were able to pursue your dream of racing.  Congrats on your success.

Thank you sir!

SpeedyR

nice video and great riding! I raced with WERA a long time ago (1999-2001 or so?) on a Hawk and then an SV endurance bike. I remember the GNF on the back straight on our SV (stock motor with flatslides) and having the Vesrah and other liter bike superbikes whipping by me as I was topped out shortly after leaving 7.. :)

good time. I get the itch to go racing again every so often but lack of time and finances hold me back.. and I'm pretty happy riding with my friends in the dirt. :)

lostinbama

Quote from: SpeedyR on September 24, 2015, 09:36:27 AM
nice video and great riding! I raced with WERA a long time ago (1999-2001 or so?) on a Hawk and then an SV endurance bike. I remember the GNF on the back straight on our SV (stock motor with flatslides) and having the Vesrah and other liter bike superbikes whipping by me as I was topped out shortly after leaving 7.. :)

good time. I get the itch to go racing again every so often but lack of time and finances hold me back.. and I'm pretty happy riding with my friends in the dirt. :)

besides the financial part, I don't know how you could quit. I was up half the night studying video. It's like heroin...

DachshundUberAlles

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=325904

Here's a group of WERA members discussing the subject of walking away from it, as the OP of the thread is considering doing. I know the thought of stopping seemed as foreign a concept as could possibly be in the early times, but the course of time has a way of rearranging how you see things. Not trying to be a downer, just offering an answer to a posed question.

springer

Quote from: lostinbama on September 24, 2015, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: SpeedyR on September 24, 2015, 09:36:27 AM

besides the financial part, I don't know how you could quit. I was up half the night studying video. It's like heroin...
Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery.

Or that is what they say on TV.  :)

Personally, I admit to nothing. ;) 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SpeedyR

a buddy and I (Lee Fields, Active Shooter Photography) both started the same weekend. Well, I guess I got the jump on him, we both took the Bargy race school the same weekend but I was riding a Hawk, he had an R1 and at the time WERA wouldn't let novices start on liter bikes (a good choice). so I got to race one weekend before him. :)

Again, at the time there really weren't any things like Track Days as much as there was today. We just went from street riders to the Bargy School and racing that weekend. It was a big jump. I raced a couple of times a year when I had money for tires. I'd race a weekend with new DOT race tires, then ride on the street for the next couple of months and then get another pair and race, etc. It was pretty funny. A couple of more friends were getting into it at the same time, and were pretty fast for the time (Robby Card, Chris Thompson (MMSM), etc). We had some good times.

I raced a few times a year for maybe 3-4 years? Never won a race (but this was also when there were 20+ people on the grid in the lightweight classes). Started with the Hawk and moved into an SV race bike. Mostly endurance raced the SV with a friend from West Virginia. Raced at Road Atlanta, VIR, Summit, Talladega, Jennings, and eventually Barber once it was built. Always wanted to race Daytona so that's still a goal some day. Actually blew up my motor in my SV at Barber and that was when I was getting out of it and that was the end of my racing. I worked as a control rider/instructor for beginner groups for track days so I could get my fix as much as I wanted but really wasn't riding on the street any more, and mostly dirt and was still blowing thru tires (08 CBR1000rr) like I was racing, so that went away as well.

I would like to get back into it some time but with my daughter showing some interest in riding dirt, I don't see getting into it too much. plus I don't have a suitable track day bike right now either (unless I find a set of SuperDuke wheels for the Super Enduro). I will probably buy another Hawk in the near future and might help with some track days here and there if I do that, but we'll see...

so that's my history. But I would love to get back out there one day. I'm well into the senior class as well but couldn't see racing a liter bike. I'd stick with the light weight bikes. always loved getting 100% out of a little bike, I just don't feel like I could ride my CBR at anywhere close to it's potential.

lostinbama

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on September 24, 2015, 05:30:52 PM
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=325904

Here's a group of WERA members discussing the subject of walking away from it, as the OP of the thread is considering doing. I know the thought of stopping seemed as foreign a concept as could possibly be in the early times, but the course of time has a way of rearranging how you see things. Not trying to be a downer, just offering an answer to a posed question.

It was a rhetorical question with a humorous motive. Yes, I've seen that thread on the WERA forum. I frequent there daily.