News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

One of my races from Road Atlanta Sept 12-13

Started by lostinbama, September 21, 2015, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostinbama

Quote from: SpeedyR on September 24, 2015, 06:29:53 PM
a buddy and I (Lee Fields, Active Shooter Photography) both started the same weekend. Well, I guess I got the jump on him, we both took the Bargy race school the same weekend but I was riding a Hawk, he had an R1 and at the time WERA wouldn't let novices start on liter bikes (a good choice). so I got to race one weekend before him. :)

Again, at the time there really weren't any things like Track Days as much as there was today. We just went from street riders to the Bargy School and racing that weekend. It was a big jump. I raced a couple of times a year when I had money for tires. I'd race a weekend with new DOT race tires, then ride on the street for the next couple of months and then get another pair and race, etc. It was pretty funny. A couple of more friends were getting into it at the same time, and were pretty fast for the time (Robby Card, Chris Thompson (MMSM), etc). We had some good times.

I raced a few times a year for maybe 3-4 years? Never won a race (but this was also when there were 20+ people on the grid in the lightweight classes). Started with the Hawk and moved into an SV race bike. Mostly endurance raced the SV with a friend from West Virginia. Raced at Road Atlanta, VIR, Summit, Talladega, Jennings, and eventually Barber once it was built. Always wanted to race Daytona so that's still a goal some day. Actually blew up my motor in my SV at Barber and that was when I was getting out of it and that was the end of my racing. I worked as a control rider/instructor for beginner groups for track days so I could get my fix as much as I wanted but really wasn't riding on the street any more, and mostly dirt and was still blowing thru tires (08 CBR1000rr) like I was racing, so that went away as well.

I would like to get back into it some time but with my daughter showing some interest in riding dirt, I don't see getting into it too much. plus I don't have a suitable track day bike right now either (unless I find a set of SuperDuke wheels for the Super Enduro). I will probably buy another Hawk in the near future and might help with some track days here and there if I do that, but we'll see...

so that's my history. But I would love to get back out there one day. I'm well into the senior class as well but couldn't see racing a liter bike. I'd stick with the light weight bikes. always loved getting 100% out of a little bike, I just don't feel like I could ride my CBR at anywhere close to it's potential.

I know Lee well. He's a good guy and was my Coach at the Bargy school. If you look at the pic I posted in this thread, you'll see some of his work haha

I am also a new rider coach with STT starting this weekend, so I'll have plenty of seat time coming up. Not that I've been lacking. I did 18 track days and 2 race weekends last year. I'm not sure of the count for this year, but I feel like I've done more already this year.

DachshundUberAlles

If you're still in that position with STT in 2016, I'll be seeing you. Right after I bought my VFR and before I had ordered the parts to get it back up and running, I bought a set of one-piece Hein Gericke leathers from a guy off the WERA board. I've also ordered some Alpinestars boots and gloves and an Arai helmet to complete my "track" ensemble. I do have reservations because of time spent on the WERA board. That group doesn't think too much of trackdays in general, or STT in particular but for the time being, that's my only avenue for getting on to a track and I see the VFR as a ticket (or worse) just waiting to happen on the public roads.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

lostinbama

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on September 24, 2015, 10:11:21 PM
If you're still in that position with STT in 2016, I'll be seeing you. Right after I bought my VFR and before I had ordered the parts to get it back up and running, I bought a set of one-piece Hein Gericke leathers from a guy off the WERA board. I've also ordered some Alpinestars boots and gloves and an Arai helmet to complete my "track" ensemble. I do have reservations because of time spent on the WERA board. That group doesn't think too much of trackdays in general, or STT in particular but for the time being, that's my only avenue for getting on to a track and I see the VFR as a ticket (or worse) just waiting to happen on the public roads.

I've noticed the looking down the nose at trackday guys, but haven't noticed anything bad on there about STT. Honestly I feel they are the best org around and certainly the best I've rode with. Heck most of their rider coaches are wera racers. I'll still be around next year. Let me know and come on out.

SpeedyR

if you haven't done a track day you need to. period. I don't care what you ride or where, it will help you gain confidence and skills in a controlled environment. My wife did the MSF class, and was riding one of my hawks, basically rode maybe 2-3 times on the street the rest was all on the track. her riding from even the first track day to the end of the day was huge.

WERA has to be taken with a grain of salt. if you have no inclination to race, just do track days and have fun. If you want to race just do it. run a couple of track days and then pony up and race. it's not a big difference in price and the speed difference is huge (racing vs. track days). I don't care who you are, when the flag drops and you are flying into turn one, the red mist descends and you will push yourself and your bike like you never have before. Track days are fine for practice but racing is a big difference or at least it was for me. I would always turn faster laps racing then riding around at track days.

Most of the groups out now are good. STT, X-act are two that come to mind. Both have little differences but you will get out of it what you put into it (i.e. ask for help when you are there and get someone to work with you. if you don't ask you won't get the help you want).

anyway, back to the racing talk!!!!

LIB I did notice that was one of Lee's photos, that's why I mentioned him. Great guy and a decently fast racer... even if he is old. lol.. get him to tell you stories of when I first got my Hawk and quit my job so I could ride more. I think he lost about a years worth of vacation that year riding in the mountains with me.

DachshundUberAlles

You are 100% correct, racing is WAY different from track/practice days. You can feed off your buddies a bit on a practice day but come that Sunday, sitting on that gate with 25-30 other guys and seeing that 30 second board go up, there's nothing like it.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.