| View Unread
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Elmore County  (Read 2808 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Elmore County
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
1.   Alabama State Penitentiary – NE of Wetumpka on 231 (just S and across from Tutwiler…all buildings are gone, I believe)
2.   East Wetumpka Commercial Historic District - Company St. from Spring St. to E. Bridge St. and E. Bridge and Commerce Sts. from Main to Hill Sts.
3.   Ellerslie – 2650 Edgewood Rd.   Millbrook
4.   First Baptist Church of Wetumpka – 205 W. Bridge St.   Wetumpka
5.   First Presbyterian Church of Wetumpka – Bridge St.  Wetumpka (Destroyed by tornado in Jan. 2019)
6.   First United Methodist Church – 308 Tuskeena St.   Wetumpka
7.   Fort Toulouse – 4 miles SW of Wetumpka at confluence of Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers
8.   Abel Hagerty House – 4690 Jasmine Hill Rd   Wetumpak
9.   Hickory Ground – SW of Wetumpka (Essentially the hotel of Wind Creek Casino)
10.   Robinson Springs United Methodist Church – State Routes 14 and 143   Millbrook
11.   Tallassee Commercial Historic District - Roughly 3 blocks on the southern side of Barnett Boulevard between old River Rd. and DuBois St.
12.   Tallassee Mills – 1844 Old Mill Rd.   Tallassee
13.   Wetumpka L&N Depot – Coosa St.   Wetumpka
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:23:48 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »
A tornado struck the area on January 19, 2019 and the Presbyterian Church was destroyed



There was also damage to the First Baptist Church but it is likely to be restored

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:22:56 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »
2.   East Wetumpka Commercial Historic District - Company St. from Spring St. to E. Bridge St. and E. Bridge and Commerce Sts. from Main to Hill Sts.

The East Wetumpka Commercial Historic District, in Wetumpka, Alabama, is a historic district which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. The listing included 25 contributing buildings and 10 non-contributing ones on 6 acres (2.4 ha).

The district includes most of the central business district of Wetumpka. Roughly, it consists of Company St. from Spring St. to E. Bridge St. and E. Bridge and Commerce Sts. from Main to Hill Streets, in Wetumpka.

Among the most important buildings are:
Bank of Wetumpka building

    Bank of Wetumpka building (c.1910), 110 East Bridge St, a two-story white masonry bank building, with bold vertical-oriented architectural design, one of only two architect-designed buildings in the district, at prominent five-way intersection.

First National Bank building and clock

    First National Bank (c.1910), Company Street, a two-story bank building, triangular (flatiron) in shape, with landmark clock, at same five-way intersection. Pilasters support a wide architrave above the first floor windows, and pattern is repeated, smaller, at second story.

Lancaster Hotel building (c.1903), 102 Court St. and East Main St., at same five-way intersection; a three-story hotel

Elmore County Courthouse (1931), Commerce Street. This is a monumental two-story Classical Revival building "with Egyptian Art Deco overtones", the other architect-designed building in the district. It has a central loggia supported by eight massive, fluted columns, and an architrave decorated with modillions and flowerettes.

221 Company Street (c.1910), a three-story brick commercial building regarded as a historical social and economic hub of the black community of Wetumpka; it has also been known as the Rose-Geeter Funeral Home.

Old Jail (c.1820), one-story brick building with small barred windows on three sides, regarded as Wetumpka's first jail.










Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
5.   First Presbyterian Church of Wetumpka – Bridge St.  Wetumpka (Destroyed by tornado in Jan. 2019)

First Presbyterian Church was a historic Presbyterian church building and congregation at 100 West Bridge Street in Wetumpka, Alabama. The Carpenter Gothic structure was built by a local builder in 1856 at a cost of $2,300. It featured a Gothic Revival exterior and a Greek Revival interior. The finished building was dedicated on June 14, 1857. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Notable past members included the secessionist Congressman William Lowndes Yancey and Alabama's 11th governor Benjamin Fitzpatrick. The Wetumpka Light Guard departed for service in the Confederate States Army from the church's lawn in 1861. Following the American Civil War, Senator John H. Bankhead was married here to Tallulah James Brockman.

The historic church building was destroyed by an EF2 tornado on January 19, 2019. On January 22, 2019, Pastor Jonathan Yarboro stated that the first step will be to salvage anything that is left and that the congregation is committed to rebuilding the church as it was before the storm.




It's not the same building but at least the skyline will look the same.

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 11:45:21 AM »
6.   First United Methodist Church – 308 Tuskeena St. Wetumpka

From historic marker in front of church:
Completed in 1854, this building was the third Methodist Church building erected in Wetumpka and served both black and white congregations. Transitional exterior and interior architecture features elegant simplicity of Greek revival styles. Interior plaster work is outstanding. Original nave provided space for 500 persons. Renovation in 1910 included more space for choir loft, installation of pipe organ, stained glass windows and pews to follow curve of chancel rail. In 1954 chandeliers were added and basement remodeled for Sunday School class rooms. Chancel area enlarged again in 1972. Listed in National Register of Historic Landmarks 1972.


Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
7.   Fort Toulouse – 4 miles SW of Wetumpka at confluence of Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers

Fort Toulouse (Muscogee: Franca choka chula), also called Fort des Alibamons and Fort Toulouse des Alibamons, is a historic fort near the city of Wetumpka, Alabama, United States, that is now maintained by the Alabama Historical Commission. The French founded the fort in 1717, naming it for Louis-Alexandre de Bourbon, comte de Toulouse. In order to counter the growing influence of the British colonies of Georgia and Carolina, the government of French Louisiana erected a fort on the eastern border of the Louisiana Colony in what is now the state of Alabama.

The fort fell into decay when the French ceded the land to England following the French and Indian War.  Fort Jackson was later constructed on the site during the War of 1812.




Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:54:45 PM »
9.   Hickory Ground – SW of Wetumpka

Hickory Ground, also known as Otciapofa (or Odshiapofa, Ocheopofau, and Ocheubofau) is an historic Upper Muscogee Creek tribal town and an archaeological site in Elmore County, Alabama near Wetumpka. It is known as Oce Vpofa in the Muscogee language; the name derives from oche-ub,"hickory" and po-fau, "among". It is best known for serving as the last capital of the National Council of the Creek Nation, prior to the tribe being moved to the Indian Territory in the 1830s. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 1980.

The 33-acre archaeological site, (1EE89), is outside Wetumpka on the lower Coosa River, north of where it joins the Tallapoosa River. It is a former village with a ceremonial ground, burial grounds, and refuse sites.




The hotel is the tall structure in the background

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
10.   Robinson Springs United Methodist Church – State Routes 14 and 143 Millbrook






Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Contributor
  • *****
  • Posts: 1036
Re: Elmore County
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
13. Wetumpka L&N Depot – Coosa St. Wetumpka







For years this was home to the popular Wetumpka Depot Players, a community theatre that now has its own building but retained the name.