News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Wandering around in Tennessee

Started by klaviator, September 16, 2017, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

A few weeks ago I was talking to a rider outside Allsport and he was raving about all the great riding just north of Huntsville in Tennessee.  Today I finally got a chance to go check it out.  I headed north on Old Railroad bed road.  I rode through Taft on 274 and then did some exploring.  I rode around for a few hours on mostly paved and a few unpaved roads.  I stayed north of Taft, East of I-65, as far north as 64 and west of 431.  If I had GPS and posted the tracks it would look like some 3 year old scribbling with a crayon! 

I wouldn't call any of the roads fantastic but they were pretty good with curves, hills and scenery.  I only took a few pics:

I rode a little over 180 miles and passed a milestone on my KLR while in Tennessee:

It's a good area to ride and I plan on going back when I get the chance.  That area should be real pretty when the leaves change color.  I'll try to post up a group ride through that area before the end of the year.  I do need to go back and learn the roads better so I don't get us all lost.

dredman

great day to ride, the pics make me wish I did  :crazy:

springer

Looks fun!  :applause-003: Not much traffic too and that makes it nice to ride in other ways to. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

I forgot to mention the traffic.  On some of the roads there was little or no traffic.  There was some sort of bicycle ride in the area so there were a bunch of spandex warriors on some of the roads.  For the most part I hardly ever got stuck behind any slow traffic.

Hammerdown77

Yeah, lack of traffic is one of the relaxing aspects, for me at least, of riding those roads.

There were a bunch of roads that I didn't know were there, between Fayetteville and I-65, that we rode as part of the TAT. I need to get that file out and make a ride that encompasses some of those.

The Corner Pit BBQ. I went to high school and dated (very, very briefly) the sister of the lady and family that owns that place. I haven't ever actually been inside (probably a good thing), but I hear it's very good.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

klaviator

I was wondering about that BBQ place.  There was no one there, I guess it was still a little early......or maybe it's not open anymore?  I'll have to go back and check it out sometime.  It might be a good lunch stop for a future ride.

I did follow some of your advice on my route.  After the Corner Pit BBQ I headed north on that road in the pic.  I followed it for a while then turned around and back tracked to Dellrose and rode McBurg/Dellrose road.  I decided save the stuff you mentioned North of 64 for the next time I head that way since there was plenty to explore south of 64.

klaviator

Not part of my Tennessee ride but still on the same day so I'll add it here. 

I rode to the Bike night at the sonic in Madison.  Not a huge turnout probably because everyone was glued to their TV's watching the Bama game.  Weather was perfect for hanging out.  I made sure to make a pitch for the Gymkhana next Sat.

Hammerdown77

Quote from: klaviator on September 17, 2017, 07:55:53 AM
I was wondering about that BBQ place.  There was no one there, I guess it was still a little early......or maybe it's not open anymore?  I'll have to go back and check it out sometime.  It might be a good lunch stop for a future ride.

Pretty sure they're still open. I think sometimes they're closed for catering events.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/tennessee/tiny-town-restaurant-tn/
https://www.tnhomeandfarm.com/food/restaurants/business-smokin-corner-pit-bbq/
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

backinthesaddle

I discovered that area last year. Some nice roads with no one on them.
Suzuki M109R

klaviator

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on September 18, 2017, 07:23:35 AM
Quote from: klaviator on September 17, 2017, 07:55:53 AM

Pretty sure they're still open. I think sometimes they're closed for catering events.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/tennessee/tiny-town-restaurant-tn/
https://www.tnhomeandfarm.com/food/restaurants/business-smokin-corner-pit-bbq/

Thanks for the links.  I think this will just have to be a lunch stop on a future ride.