News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Ideas for the NEXT Gymkhana

Started by LawnmowerRG, September 25, 2017, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawnmowerRG

Ok so here is a thought. KTM is actually pushing the Gymkhana thing a little.

https://m-gymkhana.com/tag/ktm/

If we are going to a dealership to ask about this. then let's start with a KTM dealer.
It might just get us more publicity and exposure with a manufacturer involved.

P.S. if the dealership don't want to do to them go strait to KTM.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

catang5oh

Halls in Trussville took over the old Marvin's and it has a nice sized parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammerdown77

Quote from: zdc1775 on September 25, 2017, 09:45:44 AM

Right now I'm thinking the best way to get more people to the big events is setting more of the smaller weekly or bi-weekly get togethers like what Springer does in Hoover. But again the biggest issue with that is finding a location that will allow it. As is I will continue to look for a location here in the Huntsville area to have an event.

Why not the parking lots of Joe Davis stadium? We've been racing bicycles there as long as I can remember, during the time when the team was still there, and we crashed and broke limbs and all sorts of other carnage, and no issues/fear with liability.

Also, All Pro Powersports is right across the street, I'm sure they would be interested in the exposure.

Just don't do it on a Tues night, that's when the bike racers might be there.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Hammerdown77

Also, there's the Jaycee's parking lot to the south of the stadium, in John Hunt Park.

That's where the local auto clubs run autocross/gymkhana.

Pavement might not be great for motorcycles though, haven't ridden one out there. But I did wreck a Corvette...
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

dredman

When looking for new locations, I would suggest a few things:

- Focus on the pavement and location - the size and quality of pavement, lack of obstacles, extreme pitch, rocks, sand, broken/crumbling pavement etc.  Think Football Field-sized lot, or close and THEN focus on who

- WHO Owns the property? - Bubba's Sandwich Shop's night shift manager may LOVE the idea, but when the property manager SEEs about all the "racing" going on, it might ruin your day.

- Look for an organization with a VESTED Interest - can Bubba sell enough sandwiches to  make it worth the ones he is losing due to 300 motos blocking his drive thru window?

-Load your phone/tablet with a good VIDEO -  nothing makes more sense than visual aids when it comes to GK

-Gotham City is better than Phenix City - of course if you want more than 5 people to show up, make sure you are close to 50k people - the turnout will suck in Pineapple Alabama's first ever GK :)

Chitza

Quote from: dredman on September 26, 2017, 09:19:39 AM

-Gotham City is better than Phenix City - of course if you want more than 5 people to show up, make sure you are close to 50k people - the turnout will suck in Pineapple Alabama's first ever GK :)

I would say this is not always true. We had the same number of participants at the Falkville GK in June as we had this past Saturday in Leeds 8)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

dredman

Quote from: Chitza on September 26, 2017, 09:29:56 AM
I would say this is not always true. We had the same number of participants at the Falkville GK in June as we had this past Saturday in Leeds 8)

And I would certainly not want to discourage any small town activity, I would just hate to see a small fraction of the turnout you might have by moving it 30 miles north or south.  Ask yourself - what would the attendance be had the Falkville event been in Decatur/Huntsville or even Cullman? 

Nevertheless, I heard it was a pretty awesome event, just like the mild turnout last weekend.  :respect-048:

zdc1775

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on September 26, 2017, 07:47:49 AMWhy not the parking lots of Joe Davis stadium? We've been racing bicycles there as long as I can remember, during the time when the team was still there, and we crashed and broke limbs and all sorts of other carnage, and no issues/fear with liability.

Also, All Pro Powersports is right across the street, I'm sure they would be interested in the exposure.

Just don't do it on a Tues night, that's when the bike racers might be there.

Honestly never even thought about Joe Davis Stadium. That's owned by the city isn't it? If so does anyone know how to go about requesting to use the parking lots?

zdc1775

Found the Special Event Application document that needs to be submitted. I'll go by and check out the condition of the parking lots at Joe Davis Stadium and the Jaycees and then start making arrangements to try to get this approved. What's a good date to try and shoot for or should we try to set this up as a recurring event?

The Bikle Shop

If you check on that make sure you don't need banner/sign permits also. Keep in mind it may take a while to get approved. So shoot for a date pretty far out. Like 3 months.
We got pushed late for advertising on our even because the city took 45 days to approve it. 

Quote from: zdc1775 on September 26, 2017, 10:33:35 AM
Found the Special Event Application document that needs to be submitted. I'll go by and check out the condition of the parking lots at Joe Davis Stadium and the Jaycees and then start making arrangements to try to get this approved. What's a good date to try and shoot for or should we try to set this up as a recurring event?

zdc1775

The Jaycee's and Joe Davis Stadium are out. They require a $700 deposit and special event insurance.