News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Vintage Fest 2017

Started by klaviator, October 08, 2017, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

I rode down to the Barber Vintage Fest on Saturday.  Some day I'll make it down for the whole weekend but It seems I always have to work on Friday nights of Vintage weekend.  The ride was not anything exciting so I this report is all about vintage fest.

I bought my ticket that day, it took all of about one minute.  Then I rode my bike in, parked it and stashed all my riding gear under the seat and in the tail trunk.  I started out checking out the vendors section.  It didn't take long to run into an old friend form North Georgia.

I checked out the Kymco booth.  They have a couple of interesting new bikes.

The Spade on the left is a competitor for the Grom and Z125. It has a 4 valve 150cc FI engine with a claimed 12 HP and 5 speed tranny. If I was looking for a Grom sized bike I'd give this serious consideration.

On the left is the new Like 150i. It also has a 4 valve 150cc FI engine with 13.5 HP and a CVT. If I hadn't recently bought my Smax I'd be looking at this. It's $2599 and has disc brakes with ABS front and rear.

It's a little cramped for someone tall like me but then so is my Smax.

They also had a pretty tricked out Spade. Check out the Ohlins shocks!

klaviator

After the Kymco booth I wandered around some. It was overcast and the threat of incoming bad weather from Hurricane Nate kept the crowds smaller than normal. It was still a nice day and as always there was so much to see and take in here.

There was vintage racing going on to the left on the track and then there was the crazy guys on their MX bikes doing insane stuff in the air.

Cool bikes parked everywhere.

I headed for the bamarides booth to hang out with all the cool kids.

klaviator

So I hung out there for a while and talked with the cool lids.   Then I wandered back over to the vendors area with a few other guys.

WOW motorcyles from Marietta GA had a big display as always and had a couple of bikes that caught my eye.

First was this Benelli 600 V twin. I'm pretty sure it's made in China but looked cool.

Then this little SSR 250. Again, made in China but looked great.

I fit on it OK but I don't think there is room in my garage.  Even if it did, it only makes about 3 more horsepower than my 155cc Smax.

The first Gurney Gator I have seen in the flesh.

Some of the Regulars from Deal's Gap.  I saw some of them just the last weekend.

Lot's of these trail 70s around. It was my first dream bike back in the 60s.

Fencejumper trying out one of the Royal Enfields.

Some racing going on.

klaviator

I headed back to the BR booth for a while then walked around the swap meet.  This was one of the more interesting bikes there.

Then i watched some racing.

The hazards of racing.

Side car racing.

I left after the racing ended. Due to the weather forecast all Sunday events were cancelled and by the time I left many of the vendors had already packed up and were heading out.

So I had a great day. I don't think my pics or words can really show what a great event this is for any motorcycle enthusiast. You don't have to be a vintage guy (or gal) to enjoy this. This is just an incredible gathering of motorcyclists with so much to see and do. Barber Motorsports park is an incredible facility probably second to none in the motorcycle world and it's right here in Alabama. Wandering around I saw dozens of people i knew which is probably just a small fraction of the people I know who where there. I'll be going back again next year. One of these years I'll have to go down for the whole weekend. This year and previous years I had to work Friday night.

Fencejumper09

It was good to see you! Thanks for taking the time to post up the pictures!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

dredman

Good report, no way you can capture it all.

BTW, last time I was there they had 2 Gurneys in the museum, along with maybe 100 other bikes you have never seen in the flesh?  Certainly worth admission if you have a couple hours?

Maybe I can get us a group ticket discount for a big ride in?

klaviator

I have been to the museum.  Maybe I did see a Gurney gator there but I have a bad case of CRS so I don't remember.

dredman

Quote from: klaviator on October 09, 2017, 11:31:43 AM
I have been to the museum.  Maybe I did see a Gurney gator there but I have a bad case of CRS so I don't remember.

I remember them because they blew my mind.  Reading a bit about them after wondering WHY they made such a silly looking bike, it changed my mind.  Made me wonder WHY all bikes were not made like that?  Almost as revolutionary as the Britten (also in the museum)  I would love to ride either?

norton73

There were three Gurney bikes in the museum, two powered by Honda single motors, one by a late model Sportster motor. I didn't know they made any Sportster powered bikes before I saw that one yesterday.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

renchinrider

Hate that I missed seeing you there, Klaviator!  But I couldn't agree with you more:  Barber is just awesome, and the Vintage Fest is not to be missed!  Next year (Vintage Fest is scheduled for October 5-7), we gotta figure out how to get you out of work on Friday so you can join us at the NAVMC BBQ!
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

klaviator

Quote from: renchinrider on October 09, 2017, 09:37:47 PM
Hate that I missed seeing you there, Klaviator!  But I couldn't agree with you more:  Barber is just awesome, and the Vintage Fest is not to be missed!  Next year (Vintage Fest is scheduled for October 5-7), we gotta figure out how to get you out of work on Friday so you can join us at the NAVMC BBQ!

I have every other Friday off so There's a 50/50 chance for next year. 

renchinrider

OK...I'm planning on the bright side! :DANCING-banana-032:
Live to Ride...or Die Tryin'!

IceCold4x4

Quote from: renchinrider on October 10, 2017, 08:21:04 PM
OK...I'm planning on the bright side! :DANCING-banana-032:

just bring better weather when ya come next year....

Guidedawg

Thanks for the report.  A friend of mine from Montgomery made it in and found the booth.  I've been trying to get him to join BamaRides so maybe meeting some of the cool kids helped.