News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

lane splitting in Alabama

Started by bblass, October 12, 2017, 09:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrou111

I don't believe that everyone should do it (it's just not for some riders), but it shouldn't be illegal either.

But I prefer it to sitting for an hour in traffic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YbJGgzs_Ac

springer

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on April 04, 2018, 09:56:12 AM
I could see that being "barely noticeable" if the traffic you are moving through is also moving. However, the slower it is, or if it is stopped, it is really really obvious when you just "cut to the front of the line", which is how most drivers here see it and why they are butt hurt. And, I'd be highly skeptical that rolling past a cop who is also stopped in traffic would not get you a ticket (at least it would me, but then I'm a cop magnet and have gotten speeding tickets for 5 mph over posted...)

For me the greatest benefit to being able to split or "filter" is in very slow moving or stopped lines of cars. I don't really care to do it at speeds above 30 mph. The having to be in first or second and on/off the clutch in slow moving traffic (never mind the heat in the summer) is what I would gladly like to avoid. But to be able to maintain 50 when traffic is going 30....eh, I don't care.
Yep, that is where the most butt-hurt happens, cause they can "see it", but really it is the safest for all.
Getting "us" to the front of the line is the safest for us motorcycle riders as it gets us out of the way of "car" traffic. We are not mixed into the "car" traffic so we do not the worrie of being "moved in on" by the "car traffic"  at lest until we run into more "car traffic".

It is also safe for those in "car traffic".

WTF? How is that possible?

Simple, those pesky folks on motorcycles are no longer "in line" so they, the car drivers, don't have to worry about us.

We ARE a bit harder to notice in the rear-view and side mirrors. That IS something I have noticed driving a "cage".

Of course that is based upon drivers who actually USE the side mirrors. Unfortunately there are some who NEVER look before changing lanes.
Getting us out front gets us a way from those drivers. /\

Of course that is just based on my observations on 42 years of driving a cage...and 44 years of riding them there motorcycles.  8)

Your experience might lead you to a different conclusion.   
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

jrou111

Quote from: springer on April 04, 2018, 12:39:05 PM
Yep, that is where the most butt-hurt happens, cause they can "see it", but really it is the safest for all.
Getting "us" to the front of the line is the safest for us motorcycle riders as it gets us out of the way of "car" traffic. We are not mixed into the "car" traffic so we do not the worrie of being "moved in on" by the "car traffic"  at lest until we run into more "car traffic".

Yep, in the above video of lane splitting over the course of ~12 miles, I had maybe 2-3 drivers honk at me mad that I was "cutting in front". I can't control people's reaction. If people are going to get upset, they're going to get upset.  ::)

My concern is getting to where I need to go in the manner I feel is safest FOR ME. Which sometimes (not always) involves splitting/filtering.

DachshundUberAlles

I have only "filtered" when a traffic incident has brought movement to a standstill. I have reservations about sharing such a tiny space with those so enamored with their devices above attentiveness to their surroundings.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

rider_marc

I like the idea of filtering to the front of the line at traffic lights.

For me, and maybe many others, it seems the gray area of lane splitting is fine. That is when two vehicles are technically not next to each other as front/rear bumpers are offset by a foot. By then, there's has been room to blast a bike through the diagonal gap and be gone. No harm no foul. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, it's a technique.

I'm more concerned with cage drivers that don't get the word it might be legal to lane split and then they develop road rage. I sure like the TDOT billboards telling drivers to watch for motorcycles. See them every year on the interstates. Does the state of AL do something similar to educate drivers about the existence of motorcycles?
- Marc

CRF1000L | KLX300SM

springer

Quote from: rider_marc on February 18, 2019, 05:34:04 PM
I'm more concerned with cage drivers that don't get the word it might be legal to lane split and then they develop road rage. I sure like the TDOT billboards telling drivers to watch for motorcycles. See them every year on the interstates. Does the state of AL do something similar to educate drivers about the existence of motorcycles?
The state? No, not really. ABATE has put up billboard and other stuff. PM Kris Cook about that.
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.