News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Alta at MAX Motorsports

Started by TFancher, November 11, 2017, 10:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFancher

So I'm at Max last week getting some stuff done on my VStrom. Walking around the showroom lusting over the new bikes, trying on helmets, you know, just killing time waiting on my bike. That's when I spot these 2 bikes that aren't like the others. Alta. Electric.  Hmm...
      So I start talking to the sales guy. I'm not really familiar with the whole "electric bike " concept so I'm asking him a few questions. Then he said those magic words. " Do you want to ride it?" To which I responded "HELL YEAH!! "
He gets the Motard version from the shop and i get my gear and we meet in front of the store. He gives me a few simple instructions but the thing i was most intrigued by was when he told me about the 1-4 settings. Not gears mind you. There was no clutch or shifter. He explained that 1 was around town commuter range and 2-4 were each more aggressive than the last. He told me to beware of 4. It'll put you on your rear end quick. You know me. Always the skeptic. So away I go. I'm soon tooling around the parking lot at Oak Mt. Amphitheater. Easy does it for a minute or two in the lower ranges. Then I have to see if he is telling me the truth about 4. Drop it in 4 and twist the throttle. HOLY FREAKIN' SMOKE!! The front wheel is pretty much useless at this point because you can't keep it on the ground! This thing was the quickest bike I've ever thrown a leg over. It was like a kids Power Wheels on STEROIDS!!! There's no "coming up" to speed. It's immediately up to the speed you choose with your right hand. You wanna go 3/4 throttle, you're going 3/4 throttle almost instantly. 0-60 in a matter of seconds. Not a sound but the chain and a little electrical "whirring " sound. That was about the most fun I've had on a motorcycle in a long time. I'm not rushing out to get one just yet, but it definitely made me smile the entire time I was riding it.
    If you are ever given the opportunity to ride an electric motorcycle,DO IT! You will not be disappointed.

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

kylepeterson

welcome to the future Tony! I've taken both my kids for joy rides in the Tesla S, and been amazed. the incredible silence is only surpassed by the MASSIVE thrust of energy as you are accelerated into g forces not felt before....

no oil to change
no valves to adjust
no cams to rebelt
no spark plugs
no air filters
no clutch
no transmission to fail (I know I know, it's a planetary though, which is shit tons stronger than a torque converter/clutch)
no cables
no efi/carb /fuelline/sync/map/octane/exhaust/rattles/shimmies/warming up/etc
just twist the grip, mat the pedal, and
whIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRR yippee, your body is gone!

I'm a huge fan of electrics. canyatell ?;-)
just give 'er the berries !

gulfcoaster

Looks like a ton of fun. But a 50 mile range. Let that improve over the next few years and count me in.

klaviator

Quote from: gulfcoaster on November 12, 2017, 09:13:51 AM
Looks like a ton of fun. But a 50 mile range. Let that improve over the next few years and count me in.

Range and price are the two things holding back electric bikes.  Once they make those two acceptable I'll have one in my garage.

gulfcoaster

Quote from: klaviator on November 12, 2017, 09:37:43 AM
Range and price are the two things holding back electric bikes.  Once they make those two acceptable I'll have one in my garage.
Once a few more companies get in on it I think it will be just a matter of a few years. Right now it's mainly just Alta and Zero that have products on the street. I'll be patiently waiting.

Moto Guzzi

I test rode a Zero DS a few months ago. I'd have one in my garage now if I could swing it. Maybe next year.

KrisCook

Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

TFancher

I'm definitely interested in owning one someday. Give me a 200 mile range and I'm in for sure. I'm anxious to see what the future looks like!
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Gam

Most of the Pinhoti Trail is open to mountain bikes..now if they would allow these you have over 100 miles of single track.  E bikes are coming down in price, but a good one is still up there. Stealth B 52 $10,000.00, plus that rear wheel has 25 pounds of unsprung weight.

norton73

Crap.

I was really liking their products.

The thought of a silent bike in the woods had a lot of appeal to me.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

kylepeterson

the most advanced motorcycle made, dead :-(

Mulley

Insiders are leaking info that KTM is buying ALTA. I read that in a private group from someone that has a personal connection to ALTA management.

Take that as you may. I think it sounds credible given that KTM is known for buying up struggling competition like Husaberg and Husqvarna. They dabbled in the electric market already with the Freeride E. Is this good or bad? I don't know.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

kylepeterson

Quote from: Mulley on October 19, 2018, 12:32:41 PM
Insiders are leaking info that KTM is buying ALTA. I read that in a private group from someone that has a personal connection to ALTA management.

Take that as you may. I think it sounds credible given that KTM is known for buying up struggling competition like Husaberg and Husqvarna. They dabbled in the electric market already with the Freeride E. Is this good or bad? I don't know.

this is awesome. hopefully the staff at Alta can make some coins, and pass on the electricity they used to create the best electric motorcycle today. then, knowing ktm, it can be commercialized to a new level, and the RACE thing they push can get it accepted into the racing world, along with the hearts of many more riders.

i would love to see a hate scramble at barber with nothing but xr200 in the morning and wild as hell Alta/ktm in the afternoon.

then sumo laps on the track.

then super sports.... yes.... electric super sports... racing

:-)

gulfcoaster

If it's true I hope KTM will breathe life into Alta. Others have said they may just buy their facility and hardware and use it in their own models. I love KTM but I don't wanna see more freeride models. I hope they let Alta do their own thing. I think what they were doing with the SM model could be great as range and technology expands. That would make an amazing commuter bike or afternoon ride bike.