News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Nowhere To Be 2017

Started by Fencejumper09, November 22, 2017, 08:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fencejumper09

When Allen Goodwin posts a ride, you shift your plans and cash in all your favors at work to make that ride! Not only will he take you on a tour of some of the best gravel and back roads the area has to offer, his wonderful wife (whom I have come to call Mom) and he will cook you some amazing meals!

Friday afternoon I got off work, as usual, around 11:00 am and headed home to pack up for a great weekend of camping, riding and fellowship! I loaded the 690 into the back of the truck and headed towards Vinemont around 4:30 pm.

I know, I know, I should be riding to the ride! Here is a bullet list of my excuses:
-I didn't feel like installing my rack system
-I don't have lightweight cold weather camping gear
-My truck has heated seats
-My tires are better served in the gravel
-I like to sleep on my air mattress
-I didn't want to

Upon arrival Melony, Dennis and I started setting up tents, ez-ups and coolers. Kyle, Brad, Ben and Drew showed up and spent some time setting up their camp sites. Note to future attendees: don't bring a hammock! The cat really liked the idea of climbing on air mattresses and up the sides of tents so he was put in his room which he did not appreciate!

When Allen got home from work the Sausage Fest began! We put about 5 lbs of sausage on the grill and Brad put his one single steak on as well! I manned the grill and provided a couple different levels of char to the sausage to ensure everyone got what they wanted! We feasted while watching some ice racing.

After dinner we started a fire and gathered around for as long as we could but it did not take long before people started heading to bed. I think the last of us headed to bed before midnight!

Saturday morning started with some delicious coffee to go along with the delicious breakfast spread. Melony made biscuits n' gravy and Allen cooked 5 lbs of bacon! It was a great stick to your ribs meal to get the day going. During breakfast, Scott, Alex and Win arrived looking well rested compared to us campers! Mike showed up on his V-Strom and we hit the road to Bankhead right around 9:00am as planned!

Allen lead us on a great ride through Bankhead with a majority of the group taking a loop on the Flint Creek OHV trail! With a great stop for lunch at Chef Troy's Talk of the Town we headed out on some roads less traveled!

It truly was a great trip and of course I didn't take enough pictures but here is a quick edit of my gopro video! As stated before, if Allen posts up a ride, do whatever it takes to get there!

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

norton73

Quote from: Fencejumper09 on November 22, 2017, 08:35:56 AM
We feasted while watching some ice racing.

Damn, it must have been cold! ???
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

klaviator

"When Allen Goodwin posts a ride, you shift your plans and cash in all your favors at work to make that ride! Not only will he take you on a tour of some of the best gravel and back roads the area has to offer, his wonderful wife (whom I have come to call Mom) and he will cook you some amazing meals!"

You summed that up pretty well.  I try to make as many of Al's rides as I can and I have yet to be disappointed. 

No ride report is complete without at least one pic of the Author so here you go:

kylepeterson

great RR guys, that was a lot of fun.

I have about 25gb of video to cull through, then I'll slap something together.

I love the relaxed atmosphere at DS rides.

the food and hospitality is really why I come though. :-)
just give 'er the berries !