News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Key West Group Ride -- Postponed

Started by Chitza, November 28, 2017, 07:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrobinson

Here's the link for Good Times motel.  http://www.goodtimesmotelandmarina.com/

They have a restaurant and bar - Who Dat. These are good friends of mine and will take care of you. We stopped there on the return trip last year from the Keys.

There's pricing and 360 deg view of the rooms and cabins on the site.

Joey A

Sounds interesting, I will have to keep an eye on the thread
2007 FZ6
2006 Honda 250X - Tagged
2005 KTM 450EXC - Tagged
2024 Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Chitza

For anyone still considering this ride, here is a more hashed out plan. NOTHING is set in stone yet, other than the time frame and Key West.

Leave the Birmingham area early Saturday, March 24 (Chuck&Susan, if you join, you may want to meet us along I-10 or in Wakulla Springs. Anyone else is welcome to join en route as well).

Stop in Wakulla Springs for me to love on some Manatees.

We will stay the first night in Steinhatchee, Fl.

Early Sunday morning departure down Hwy 98/19 to St. Petersburg. We will take the I-275 toll bridge over Tampa Bay(expect $2-3 toll).  Back to back roads south to Naples where we will take Hwy 41 through the Everglades to Homestead.

Stay Sunday night in Homestead (looking at Fairway Inn in Florida City).

Early Monday morning departure via US 1 to Key West. I'm hoping this time frame will avoid high traffic south through the Keys. We will spend the day being tourists. Depending on the final group, we can make a decision about lodging for Monday night. Most likely return to Florida City.

Tuesday: Return trip will be up the East Coast with a stop at Cape Canaveral and the NASA Space Center.

Spend the night around Titusville or a little north.

Wednesday: head north. Depending on schedule, there may be time to stop in St. Augustine.

Times may change a little to keep the pace "leisurely". By time stamps on GoogleMaps, this looks doable, with time for stops, though the days will be long between points, total riding time on each day will be 7-8hrs.

I will call to make reservations in the next couple of weeks. If you plan to go, room sharing is an option to keep costs down.

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

jrou111

Highly recommend you avoid the route you have posted from Weeki Wachee to St. Pete because of all of the traffic lights. Take 589 instead.

Personally, unless there was some specific thing to see in the bay area, I'd cut across Brooksville > Zephyrhills > Plant City > then US 17 down to Arcaida and pick up the rest of your route.

Chuck & Susan

Quote from: jrou111 on November 30, 2017, 11:57:18 AM
Highly recommend you avoid the route you have posted from Weeki Wachee to St. Pete because of all of the traffic lights. Take 589 instead.

Personally, unless there was some specific thing to see in the bay area, I'd cut across Brooksville > Zephyrhills > Plant City > then US 17 down to Arcaida and pick up the rest of your route.

I would agree. I like the looks of just staying on US98 to Fort Mead. Pick up US 17 down to Punta Gorda and then follow 41. Or some route to catch 41 in Carnestown area Just west of the glades.

Just my opinion unless like he said there is something special in your route. My calculations it would be 392 miles and 8.5 hours by the map. That still would not include rest stops or all the traffic and lights.

Susan and I have a daughter and 2 grandbabies in Bradenton. We don't care for the Tampa area traffic. But also after we all leave the Keys Susan and I may journey back up the west side to visit with them for a couple of days.

Just My thoughts.

Chuck
It's a beautiful day, let's go somewhere....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chitza

I totally up for suggestions to avoid bad areas/traffic. I don't know anything about the area and haven't traveled there in about 20 years.

Chitza

For the folks following this thread to possibly join:

I need to come clean for you guys. I HATE doing routes. I like having a general idea where I'm going with a few good options in my pocket in case they don't work out. I'm not good with time frames. I like to ride and find a hotel or camp. HOWEVER, I realize that's not doable when other folks join. SO... because I WANT folks to join me on this ride...let's plan this together. We have a week. I like my plan for day one and I will be stopping at Wakulla Springs to see the Manatees. Steinhatchee isn't too far from there and JohnnyR has some friends with a nice hotel/marina. I would like to stay there and support them.

After that, it's head south. I want to avoid Tampa. (Thanks jrou for the info on that area). I was hoping to get to go across the bay bridge, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Stop and go traffic on a motorcycle, is. Chuck&Susan, would you be willing to navigate us around that area?

We'll look at the time lines from there and decide where Sunday night's stop will be.

Chuck & Susan

I'll toss together a layout in the next few hours. And we can have further discussion to tune it. Stay tuned....
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

Here is what I have put together for DAY 1 from the Lower Alabama area.

and the link to the detailed Google map is:

https://goo.gl/maps/bxBeYDBXkv72

Chitza, Do you know when you will be visiting the manatees? I have us in that area and stopping for fuel and maybe lunch just east I think.

2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chitza

We will leave the Birmingham area early Saturday morning. It's about a 5hour ride to Tallahassee. So, about Lunchtime? We can schedule to meet for lunch or soon after.

Chuck & Susan

Now DAY 2 gets to be more of a push. Florida is a long state. Short of just taking the fastest route (including Interstate and missing the glades) this is about the best I could come up with. This is just a starting point for discussion.

and the google map link:

https://goo.gl/maps/D5zdiLKckRz

Any advice from others or suggestions?
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

I also suggest if we get to Florida City in time, that we go eat at "Alabama Jacks"' It is just 15 min from the hotel. But I seen where it closes at 7pm. Never been there but have heard about it.
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chuck & Susan

Day 3 would be fairly easy.
Everyone fuel up and Wing it to the end of Hwy 1.

Susan and I may stay in Key West over night. We are thinking of watching some of the night life and she has several things she would like to do the next day. Then we would start heading to Grand-babies house in Bradenton.
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066

Chitza

We could add another day and Stop at Sanabel Island?? I haven't been there and wouldn't mind a lay over. I don't mind an overnight stay in Key West. I was trying to keep costs down and I hear the hotels are pretty pricey. That would slow the pace. But then again, 425 miles was a short day on the trip to Alaska so my internal odometer is a little screwy  :D

Chuck & Susan

This is another suggestion. I found the link they used on that famous Key West Iron Butt RFP on the return ride. It is taking I-75 to Hwy 41 across the glades.

https://goo.gl/maps/AVZRtpRnhBr

The riders of that leg can weigh in on it. Pros or Cons anyone?
2016 Goldwing 1800cc

IBA #81066