News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

What do you look for in a dual sport ride?

Started by klaviator, November 30, 2017, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

Dual sport riding covers a wide range of riding.  There are the "dirtbike with lights" riders and at the other end of the spectrum the riders who mainly ride on the pavement but occasionally venture on to some dirt roads.  There is also everything in between.

So what kind of dual sport rider are you.  What else do you look for in a dual sport ride.  Lunch? Scenery?  Fellow riders?  How far do you prefer to ride in one day.  Anything else?

Just tell us what kind of dual sport rider you are and what you prefer.  It will help us get to know you and might help ride leader better plan rides.

I'll kick this off.

I started riding dirt late in life so I will never be a great dirt rider.  I have a sport bike background so I never get tired of riding twisty paved roads even if I'm on a dual sport bike with knobbies.  So I like a mix of curvy paved roads and off road.  I'm not into really gnarly trails but do like to hit some stuff more challenging than a smooth dirt/gravel road.  I do enjoy the scenery and I like the feeling of being out in the wilderness and exploring. 

Around 150 miles seems to be a good days dual sport ride for me but if it's mostly dirt then the mileage will be lower and mostly street it may be higher.  I prefer riding with others as it's just a lot safer when out in the boonies as well as it's fun to socialize when stop. 

I really like riding narrow, twisty and bumpy back roads that wouldn't be fun on a sport bike but are a blast on a dual sport.

Probably my most memorable dual sport experience was riding the Moab area for a week with friends.

I currently ride a big heavy KLR but plan on downsizing at some point to better handle challenging terrain.

Nice Goat

I have several goals, not all of them important on the same ride.  I mix and match.

• find a cool, little known spot
  • find something historical and/or abandoned
  • get away from people
  • twisty, gravelly, rocky roads
  • mountains and hollows are nice too
  • love finding trails and double track that aren't too rutted out
  • creek crossings are fun
  • waterfalls and swimming holes
  • look for camping spots
  • geocaching
  • urban exploring is really fun also

I don't like too much sand or mud.  A little bit is fine.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

I grew up at the other end of the motorcycle spectrum than Klaviator (and a couple decades later hahahaha  :D ) on a motocross bike so dual sport to me is mostly about how gnarly of a place can I get my street legal bike and also get home!

I do enjoy the gravel twisty's but I like push the limits a little so I often scare myself on some gravel roads. Picking lines on a rocky, rutted, and muddy trail is a blast for me and it slows me down! I really enjoy the rides like this years NWTB when we ride to an OHV trail or ride to a tough hill climb and people can choose to participate or hang out and take pictures of people stuck on rocks or in mud holes!

Dual sport rides for me need to be in a group, I really enjoy helping others accomplish something they didn't think they could do. A sketchy bridge or rough hill climb is a great place to bond with fellow riders.

A good stopping point as mentioned by Nice Goat is also key. It can be anything from a good lunch to a beautiful overlook, I just like having a destination. I also really enjoy photography so a good photo op is always appreciated!

As Klaviator said, the mileage can vary but 150 miles is a good dual sport ride for me!

One final comment/PSA, Al Goodwin is the king of dual sport rides!!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332