News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Kawasaki KLX 250

Started by Campbell92, January 04, 2018, 09:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Campbell92

I am currently sitting in front of the new 2018 KLX250. It is to my left and a borderline arctic tundra is to the right of me. I want to ride it.....but 1.Its not serviced and 2. Im not riding in this weather. (Call me a wimp, but Im a warm one). The past 2 days I have been all over this thing. I will have to say Kawasaki absolutely nailed it when it comes to look and feel. Inverted front forks, long travel in the rear shock, light, nimble and plenty of ground clearance (more than an XT but less than a KLR or DR400Z): this thing makes a Yamaha XT250 look like a pooch. I love the fact that it is still liquid cooled and has 6 gears. Not sure on power/acceleration outside of numbers and words, but being fuel injected and watching videos I bet it could hang with the traffic and keep up on the trails no problem (only one way to find out). I am looking forward to see how it compares and runs against the KTM, Hondas, etc. and if it will hang with the WR from Yamaha.

There is some negative but it really minute stuff. First is the speedometer cable....its electronic....looks like it would get ripped clean off in a good trail (There will be after market fixes I AM SURE). Other issues are just DOT regulatory issues. A few dangly tubes and unneeded plastic, Welcome to America if you are just joining us. Updated styling for sure makes this thing look slick. Glad they offer the digital camo....but give me just flat gray and Ill be a happy man.

All in all this bike looks and feels amazing. I would love to see one decked out with all the skid plates, bags, guards, etc. The sky is the limit with this one. I cant wait to put my first ride review on here. What are your thoughts? Think it is the new big dog? Maybe the bike to really boost the small/mid CC range dual sports?

bblass

Looking forward to a ride review for this bike.

Mid sized dual sports should be the next major growth segment for the motorcycle industry. They're reasonably inexpensive to manufacture and perfect for new riders. Hopefully this kwaka will bring some new blood into the fold.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

norton73

I had been looking hard at the 18 klx, and it was high on my list for this spring, but then I stumbled upon a used 09 already tricked out, so ended up going with it.

It's not gonna be a ktm beater, but I think for the money it is a good choice.

There's a thread over on ADVrider already;

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/klx-250-2018-next-gen.1266838/
Loose nut holding the handlebars

kylepeterson

they get every farkle imaginable, from suspension hop ups to big bore kits. it's a fine machine for dual sporting, but the new girl injected model might have some teething issues. first year run and all. either way, it wool be a fun bike. enjoy!
just give 'er the berries !

Spicciani2

Oooh! Girl injection is one thing that has been missing from many of the smaller dual sport bikes.

norton73

Quote from: kylepeterson on January 04, 2018, 10:33:05 AM
they get every farkle imaginable, from suspension hop ups to big bore kits. it's a fine machine for dual sporting, but the new girl injected model might have some teething issues. first year run and all. either way, it wool be a fun bike. enjoy!

girl injected?

:D

Actually, the injected model has been available in other markets for several years.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

Gam

A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them I had a KLX 250 in the early 80's,  there weren't many of them around.

[youtube<iframe width="1118" height="629" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BsgUC11a2X4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>][/youtube]

So when they came around again in 2006 I got another one, and I still ride it. I love this bike, but...it's a little down on hp, just like the one I had before, they both are right at 18 hp. The only time that makes a difference to me is on hilly pavement, you have to work the gears a good bit to keep the speed up. But other than that, I really like this bike. Right now I am trying to decide between a new KLX and a Yamaha 250r. I read somewhere that the new klx has about 22 hp, but what I really like it that the new one has girl injection. I've never owned a bike with that.

jrou111

This bike has a curb weight of 304lbs.

Japan needs to really get out of the depression they're in as a society and start designing GOOD bikes. At that price point I would be looking at a AJP PR5 for a trail bike.

springer

Quote from: Spicciani2 on January 04, 2018, 11:23:00 AM
Oooh! Girl injection is one thing that has been missing from many of the smaller dual sport bikes.

Quote from: norton73 on January 04, 2018, 11:26:40 AM
girl injected?

Yep...it is the bestest injection around.  ;)

@Campbell92 Sweet bike!
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Quote from: jrou111 on January 04, 2018, 12:24:57 PM
This bike has a curb weight of 304lbs.

I thought it was 309, but at any rate, it is heavier than the Honda CRF250L.

Seth, are the forks and/or shock adjustable?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Frank Smith

I just looked at the CRF, KLX and WR. Of course I like the WR the best but the cost is so much more. The Honda seemed to be the best value in the Rallye edition with mini shield and the LED lights. Cot is still less than the WR. I would like to test ride all 3 but that's not going to happen, at least at the dealership I went to. I'm gonna have to keep looking. I need a true DS. The BMW is just a pig for anything narrower than a fire road.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F