News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

TAT MS Hill Country Loop

Started by Bamagator, February 01, 2018, 06:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamagator

Anyone here done it?  Saw an old BR vid from a few guys from here on YT about 8 years ago.  I'm eying it for an early spring 3 day run since its in our backyard and looks not very technical.

kylepeterson

Sounds like a lot of dirt roads, got a gpx file yet ?
just give 'er the berries !

jrobinson

Quote from: Bamagator on February 01, 2018, 06:24:28 PM
Anyone here done it?  Saw an old BR vid from a few guys from here on YT about 8 years ago.  I'm eying it for an early spring 3 day run since its in our backyard and looks not very technical.

Gravlee, Scott Parker & Don rode it in sub-freezing weather

Bamagator

Gonna buy the maps and download soon.  Saw that vid on YT!  Just looks like a good run and fun, 4 hrs away.  You dudes are good technical riders, Ive seen both of your many posts and pics and vids hehehe.  Trying to lock down a road adv trip for this spring and will prob be solo.  Just trying to confirm its not gonna be mega technical for this dawg as im just avg off road. I expect the unexpected but don't want to be overwhelmed if that makes sense.

buddymc

Quote from: Bamagator on February 01, 2018, 06:24:28 PM
Larry Curry and I rode it on TW200's about 5 years ago.  We overnighted in Winona MS and made a figure 8 out of the two available routes.  North day one, South day two. Mostly gravel county roads & two lane blacktop, one little cross-country off road bit for just a few miles.  The whole time you're within 10 or 15 miles of I-55.  NOTHING technical at all, and a GPS would make it very simple to do.  We did roll charts and got lost / confused a couple of time, mainly because the roads were poorly marked.  Fuel was spotty with the little TW tanks.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
84 Goldwing GL1200 Standard, 03 BMW F650 City Street, backroads rider.

2372ighost

What time frame are you thinking?
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Bamagator

Thanks, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for Intel wise.  I'm looking at April before it warms too much. i was debating trailering to it on a Friday afternoon, camp/hotel the night then doing a 2 day ride with camp on Sat pm mid route and departure home Sunday pm since it's a 3.5 hour jog from here.  Save my knobbies from slab destruction getting to/from the good stuff.

2372ighost

2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

Bamagator

Thanks, I missed that post.  Hmmmmm.  That sounds like a good'n

buddymc

Quote from: Bamagator on February 09, 2018, 03:01:35 PM
Thanks, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for Intel wise.  I'm looking at April before it warms too much. i was debating trailering to it on a Friday afternoon, camp/hotel the night then doing a 2 day ride with camp on Sat pm mid route and departure home Sunday pm since it's a 3.5 hour jog from here.  Save my knobbies from slab destruction getting to/from the good stuff.
Not really any Good Stuff.  Just gravel county roads, past trailers, mailboxes, little churches, barking dogs.  The kinda roads where a rural Mississippi Postman spends his days.  You'll turn down some dirt road, ride it to the end, take a little bit of pavement to the next dirt road, and repeat the process.  Sometimes you may go from dirt to dirt.  The mud puddles might make it interesting.  Really dusty though when dry. 

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

84 Goldwing GL1200 Standard, 03 BMW F650 City Street, backroads rider.

rmcelroy

I just did it fall last year.  Around the end of October of I recall correctly.  It was a great trip.  In the fall there was just enough light to make it in either direction. 

I was on a KTM 690 Enduro with 60/40 street/dirt tires.  (Perelli scorpions).  There were only three "tricky" parts for me.  Going north, a road called "Sand Hill" which was just that.  There was also a road that was a giant muddy hill.  And one more section CR 69 or 68, I believe, which was like a rough ATV trail through the woods.  The only reason these sections were tricky were due to my tires.  If I had a knobbier/more aggressive tire, it would have been fine.

There were also several "closed bridges" we had to cross.  None of those were really any problem though.  We just stopped, hopped off, and tested them out before riding across.

I did have problems with the GPS maps, so I plotted the course in Google maps and used my phone as a GPS providing me turn by turn directions in my helmet.  It worked super well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions