News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Leaf peeping and camping NE Bama?

Started by Sagebrush, September 30, 2015, 06:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sagebrush

Thinking about a loop through NE Bama to see the trees and hike a little. Never camped in Alabama because I've just done day runs, but I usually do tent camp on my overnight trips.

I feel like seeing NE Bamma during the fall color season. Haven't spent much time in the State Parks here. Is Buck's Pocket still decent? Haven't seen it since 2013. I'm thinking a leisurely trip up from Jacksonville to Guntersville area, stay the night at a camp site at Buck's or maybe DeSoto SP? Any feed back on the CG conditions now?

I've only seen Cheaha a couple times this year too, so I'll probably do a big loop down there via 500 coming through Piedmont and probably do my second night at Coleman Lake. Are the showers working at the State Parks? I'm a sucker for a shower after riding/hiking. I'll be riding my old DL1000, so I mainly just stay on the forestry roads and pavement.

Any suggestions? Haven't ridden locally in a while, just got back from a BRP ride again, done that twice this year and I've done NY, PA, MD, VA, WV, KY and NC thoroughly back in the spring. Feel like staying closer to home this time since I haven't seen Little River since last fall, I better go again. :)

Gam

Bucks Pocket is the same as 2013, If you wind up camping at Desoto, check this place out before you commit, stayed there this summer, very good campsites, lots of hardwoods so there should be some color around camp, there was no one there but us, and Desoto was full. Also there is a trail across the road to hike to the other side of desoto falls...not the viewing area side,
http://serenitycampground.tripod.com/

Also the lower campground, the old CCC campground is open again at Cheaha, it has water and an toilets but no shower, but personally it's better than sleeping at a 45 degree angle in the rocks on top of the hill.

Sagebrush

Quote from: Gam on September 30, 2015, 06:51:06 PM
Bucks Pocket is the same as 2013, If you wind up camping at Desoto, check this place out before you commit, stayed there this summer, very good campsites, lots of hardwoods so there should be some color around camp, there was no one there but us, and Desoto was full. Also there is a trail across the road to hike to the other side of desoto falls...not the viewing area side,
http://serenitycampground.tripod.com/

Also the lower campground, the old CCC campground is open again at Cheaha, it has water and an toilets but no shower, but personally it's better than sleeping at a 45 degree angle in the rocks on top of the hill.

Thanks, I did not know about the Serenity CG, looks like a better option for me since I want a shower. I'll probably stay there a night or two once the leaves get colorful.

Johnny Tobyone

Thanks for the tip on Serenity,nice to know of other options if Desoto busy.  I have also stayed at the primitive sites at Desoto st park and you can use the main camp showers. 1st spot on the left is best but no table. Bucks usually not crowded unless boy scouts are staying. One decent trail to the overlook, I used to kayak and camp there. Nice showers after a cold day on the river.
R1200R
CRF450L

Johnny Tobyone

At Bucks Pocket looks like the camping is closing end of October due to budget cuts
R1200R
CRF450L