News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Motus Article on Revzilla

Started by DonJuan, July 17, 2018, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonJuan

A true poet if there ever has been one in the motorcycle arena. I haven't read anything this close to home in a while:

"A motorcycle's identity begins and ends with its engine, everything else is just the wrapping around the essence. Harley's "potato potato" defines Milwaukee iron and sport bikes reveal themselves once the revs climb north of 10,000 and the demon-shriek begins. The Baby Block turns, catches, and the Motus essence appears, center stage, wrapped in stars and stripes. It is motherhood, apple pie and hot rod. American hot rod captured, distilled, double-rectified, bottled and barely corked. A pushrod, two-valve engine with the cylinders canted left and right just as Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, and God intended."

Find the entire intriguing article by Loren DeShon here:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motus-operandi-part-one-the-path-to-moto-temptation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R

bblass

Big fan of their Motus coverage and glad to see the local guys getting some national love. I hope Motus can figure out how to bring the price down by 1/3 so that maybe one day I can consider one.
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

LawnmowerRG

I'm with you on that @bblass.
Honestly o would start selling stuff to get one.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

Bama_Rider

Price will probably go up instead of down.  The success rate of new motorcycle companies trying to get sales numbers up is pretty bad.  They usually go out of business or sell astronomically priced bikes to a limited clientele.   Plus, until they put a real test bike into the hands of the major motorcycle press players, they will not be taken seriously.  Until CW or someone does a real instrumented test, performance numbers are just ad copy.

springer

Quote from: Bama_Rider on July 18, 2018, 05:49:08 PM
Price will probably go up instead of down.  The success rate of new motorcycle companies trying to get sales numbers up is pretty bad.  They usually go out of business or sell astronomically priced bikes to a limited clientele.   Plus, until they put a real test bike into the hands of the major motorcycle press players, they will not be taken seriously.  Until CW or someone does a real instrumented test, performance numbers are just ad copy.

Like this??

Cycle world;

Just Google Motus/Motus MST/Motus MSTR video.

There are a bunch...
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

bblass

I think they'll probably drop in the next few years. They're already working on a more bare bones standard version to sell at a lower price point.

From what I understand Motus is licensing their engine to SxS's and marine applications. That brings in new money and hopefully new products
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kylepeterson

Quote from: springer on July 19, 2018, 09:12:04 AM
Like this??

Cycle world;

There are a bunch...

if anyone cares, here's the list of roads they shot:

blue lake (for the water/curve)
I think I know the wooden fence road but not sure
just give 'er the berries !

norton73

I talked to an engineer who used to work at Motus back in the Fall. He said the main reason the bikes are expensive is because they don't buy parts such as Brembo brakes, the light weight wheels, etc, in a big enough volume to get a discount.

When you think about it, the price isn't too bad.
What's a close bike? BMW R1200RT? Starts at $20k. The 1600? $25k.

Now add a Sargent seat, windshield, and all the other stuff that people add to one to farkle it out and you're not too far off the price of a Motus and got a cooler, unique bike.

Harley touring bikes go as high as $40k if you buy a CVO model.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

Bama_Rider

Quote from: springer on July 19, 2018, 09:12:04 AM
Like this??

Cycle world;

There are a bunch...

I saw all those.  They are not instrumented tests.  They are first rides and supervised riding impressions.  I haven't found single article where they put the bike through the usual cycle of testing.  When CW does a full test, they do 1/4 acceleration, top speed, dyno testing, racetrack riding for some bikes, generally flog the bike for a week by themselves and then give it back.  All the available "tests" are riding impressions.  As far as I can tell, Motus has not provided a test bike to do a full test with yet anywhere.

DonJuan

Quote from: norton73 on July 19, 2018, 10:37:33 AM
I talked to an engineer who used to work at Motus back in the Fall. He said the main reason the bikes are expensive is because they don't buy parts such as Brembo brakes, the light weight wheels, etc, in a big enough volume to get a discount.

When you think about it, the price isn't too bad.
What's a close bike? BMW R1200RT? Starts at $20k. The 1600? $25k.

Now add a Sargent seat, windshield, and all the other stuff that people add to one to farkle it out and you're not too far off the price of a Motus and got a cooler, unique bike.

Harley touring bikes go as high as $40k if you buy a CVO model.
I agree that for what you get, this price isn't too bad. It's just not as in reach for the average rider, as say a Kawasaki Concours 1400, or a Yamaha FJ1300.

But if you were to do the suspension, wheel, brake, and seat upgrades on a normal production Kawasaki, or Ducati ST even, you'd quickly approach the $25K- $30K range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLR650
KDX200
2013FXDBP
ZRX1200R