News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Harley Davidson ADV Bike?

Started by KevinB, July 30, 2018, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinB

This ought to make some bandana-clad heads explode...

https://www.dirtrider.com/harley-davidson-pan-america-first-look

Mulley

I think it's kinda cool looking.

For a majority of buyers the Adventure bike segment is mostly about image anyway or at least the comfort of the upright seating position. Just look at all of the BMW GS bikes being ridden to coffee shops. Most of them never leave the pavement. I personally own a Versys that will never leave the pavement. I like the styling and seating position.

I see this as a really smart segment for Harley to enter. They have to attract a new customer base. This is a much smarter use of their money and resources than the Livewire electric bike.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

klaviator

I like the styling but have no interest in buying one.  I hope they actually produce it.  I don't think it will be a huge seller but it will sell.

KevinB

Lots of cool looking stuff in the video.

This one especially gave me a chubby...

gulfcoaster

I hope it works out for Harley.  But I cannot make myself like that front fairing/headlight assembly thing.  The more I see it posted, the more I cringe.  But that naked bike on the other hand...SEXY!!!  I'm interested to hear the #'s on that one.  Hopefully it's actually tuned for performance and not sound.

Hammerdown77

Now THAT's a promotional video.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, engineers and designers at H-D are pretty talented and can build some cool stuff (as evidenced by the glimpse of the prototypes in that video). Corporate just needs to let 'em off the leash.
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

kylepeterson

adventures in toast tasting ?

catfish face?

heavy but not Chevy?

I dunno who the hell was on the design team for that adv model but damn, they fell down a few times.

obviously not the same team from the naked bike.
just give 'er the berries !

Hammerdown77

They'll likely change the styling on both bikes a bit, based on feedback from the Internets.

There's a good chance it will look nothing like those prototype shots.

Kinda like how Victory changed the Project 156 bike into the Octane.

What. Too soon?
2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

KevinB

Quote from: kylepeterson on July 30, 2018, 07:29:38 PM
I dunno who the hell was on the design team for that adv model but damn, they fell down a few times.

Looks like they borrowed some guys from the Road Glide styling team to design the front of the ADV bike.

Perhaps they'll christened it the "Trail Glide"?

LawnmowerRG

Personally I hope it's a great bike.
What I expect is a marginal preformance heavy bike.

One good thing is that the sporty engine (that I assume this is based off of) is good on he bottom end. Lots of torque. Combine that in a hopefully light chassis and you should have a pretty good bike.
The styling of the front I can take or leave. It don't hate it, but it certainly don't do anything for me. In all honesty the ADV class is not a collection of truly beautiful bikes. They are functional. If Harley can get that part right it will OK.

Street fighter and custom me likey.

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

springer

Well, I hope it goes over better than the last H-D bastard child I bought;

I really loved that bike/\. :-[

They even discontinued the one that "represented"  their heritage with a springer front end that I bought;

So maybe if I do not buy one, it will do good?  ;)
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Nice Goat

Not sure if they have great engineers or not.  How would we even know that?  HD is known for milking designs for decades.  They are not known for innovation.  I certainly would not want a first edition.  If the design is successful for a few years, gets good reviews, and doesn't fry itself .... then who knows?
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

kylepeterson

Quote from: KevinB on July 30, 2018, 09:32:58 PM
Looks like they borrowed some guys from the Road Glide styling team to design the front of the ADV bike.

Perhaps they'll christened it the "Trail Glide"?

so much prettier in person that one is.

the catfish model, oh Lord. even as ugly as the newer BMWs are, covered in unnecessary plastic, they look like it was all meant to be there.... the catfish looks like everyone was an afterthought

but who knows a big slow revving torque booger might be what everyone has been waiting for Japan to produce all these years... basically a dr650 with twice the power, twice the weight, and five times the price.

bblass

I'll be in line to test drive the street fighter and live wire when they arrive. I like the idea of the ADV bike and if it's anything like the tiger at a tiger price I'll bet they have a winner on their hands
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kylepeterson

Quote from: bblass on August 01, 2018, 03:00:53 PM
I'll be in line to test drive the street fighter and live wire when they arrive. I like the idea of the ADV bike and if it's anything like the tiger at a tiger price I'll bet they have a winner on their hands

I haven't been arrested in a long time. that live wire will probably do it.