Save the Motorcycle Initiative - Prevent Motorcycle Abuse

Started by dredman, August 19, 2018, 11:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bblass

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

kylepeterson

this guy might have some insight as to what to use, pitfalls, etc and it looks like a very similar build starting with a drz

https://youtu.be/jNKZKEms0PU
just give 'er the berries !

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

gulfcoaster

The Electric Boogaloo

Always gotta go with the one that's the most fun to say.

2372ighost

2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

LawnmowerRG

I vote for DR Flair
And you have to wear a Boa when you ride it.

Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

sctparker

Quote from: bblass on August 24, 2018, 10:55:46 AM
Last night we made many plans and even got a few leads on where to look for heavily discounted or donated equipment. Almost as important, we came up with a few names!

The nominees are below. Vote for your favorite by posting and whoever came up with the one chosen by the forum will make a small donation towards the project.

The Electric Boogaloo
Ol'Sparky
Freebie
Lightning
Lead Belly
Something for Nothing
Hard to Follow
Don't let the Smoke Out
DR Flair
P-250D

Come join us at the next Thursday night wrench club and be a part of the project!

And don't forget, we're happy to come haul away anything you want to donate

not on the list  but

Shock-a-lot  (Ride it till it Hertz)

dredman

a dude on ADVRider offered up a free motor (72 volts) but we would have to rethink the battery situation.

Just throwing it out there:

QuoteHey guys,

I've been building electric bikes for a LONG time and have a lot of used and leftover parts. Would you be interested in a "Motenergy ME0709"

Power: 8 cont-- 19 pk hp
Voltage: 72 Volt rated
Speed: 3700 rpm @ 72v unloaded
Size: 8" OD, 6.5" long (w/o shaft)
Shaft: 7/8"x 1-3/4", 3/16" key
Weight: 36 lbs.

LINK-> https://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushed-motors/emc-rt-me0709-pmdc-motor-24-72v-8-hp-cont-19-hp-pk.html

I blew up two brush packs in this motor. I realized I was pushing the boundaries of what this motor can handle and upgraded to a ME1003.

I will mail you the ME0709 motor for FREE along with two brush-packs, both brush-packs have issues but you can piece together ONE good brush pack with patience. I will clean up the commutator before mailing it.

Please let me know if this interests you.

-Tony

2372ighost

That's an affordable motor, from what I've read a 72v motor and leaf batts are the way to go.
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

kylepeterson

Quote from: dredman on August 26, 2018, 10:09:12 AM
a dude on ADVRider offered up a free motor (72 volts) but we would have to rethink the battery situation.

Just throwing it out there:

do it, collect it, free is great. let's getting started on charging and controlling solutions to support it. the say it arrives we should at least have cardboard templates and all eyes on it's location/mounts before we leave.
just give 'er the berries !

bblass

Did a little research on ebay this weekend. Looks like Leaf batteries are around $100/cell. 3 would get us to 1.5KW and 72 volts which should be about right for this motor and about the same price as Optimas. Down side is we'll need to devise a charging apparatus.

Should be fun!
I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

springer

Quote from: bblass on August 27, 2018, 08:12:26 AM
Did a little research on ebay this weekend. Looks like Leaf batteries are around $100/cell. 3 would get us to 1.5KW and 72 volts which should be about right for this motor and about the same price as Optimas. Down side is we'll need to devise a charging apparatus.

Should be fun!
Ball is rolling! @dredman, did the guy get back to you about a battery pack? Didn't he have 1 to sell?
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

dredman

Quote from: bblass on August 27, 2018, 08:12:26 AM

Should be fun!

Not to mention 20% of the weight - glad to see reason has entered into the engineering!   :D

dredman

Quote from: springer on August 27, 2018, 08:43:02 AM
Ball is rolling! @dredman, did the guy get back to you about a battery pack? Didn't he have 1 to sell?

Shipping this week, expecting a $50+ shipping tab, but that is a bargain considering this is a $500 motor  :o