News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Deer at high noon

Started by Johnny Tobyone, August 26, 2018, 07:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Tobyone

Have had a couple Deer jump out at around noon on hot days last few times I rode near Huntsville. I definitely did not expect to see them this time of day
R1200R
CRF450L

polarissalesman

I see more deer in the middle of the day than I do early or late in the day (excluding nights) ... I like to got run over by 2 about 1:30 pm on the brow at Mentone a cple weeks back
"keep the rubber side down"

Chitza

When there is a full moon, deer run during the day to avoid night predators who can see better with the bright moon. Next time you see them in the daytime, check the moon phase. It's not the only reason they run in the daytime, but I make myself more aware on those days.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

polarissalesman

I see more deer mid-morning to 2:00 than I do @ any time while riding ...
"keep the rubber side down"

springer

There are a couple of things to remember about Deer in Alabama. First off is the rut. That is when Does in Alabama go into season, I.E. ready to mate. During this time deer will be on the move at all hours. Day, night, it will not matter. A buck can smell a doe in season from a pretty good distance depending on the wind. They will throw caution to the wind in an effort to mate. Bucks can get aggressive during this time. I was heading to work in T-town early one morning a few years back on 269. As I passed the coal miners union hall in Tuscaloosa county there stood a huge buck...right in the middle of the road. This is a "people" populated area with homes on both sides of the road. Lucky, I managed to miss him...he never flinched.  He just stood there, didn't even noticed me.
About 2 years later I was once again headed to work early on 269. This time it was 3 deer, 1 buck chasing 2 does. I wasn't so lucky this time. I hit the smaller doe and managed to miss the buck. The buck never slacked up, he kept after the doe.
While they can be out on the road at any time, the rut really gets them moving...sorta like a "Ladies Drink Free from 7pm-10pm" night at you local bar.  ;)

For those who want to read-up on this;

https://www.aonmag.com/article.php?id=3672&show=articleimages 

BTW, for those who live and/or ride in Birmingham, be really on the look-out around Oak Mountain. Even with the limited and controlled bow hunting that is sometimes allowed at the state park, there is a LOT of deer in this area...at all times, day or night.

https://kindredspiritus.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/alleged-oak-mountain-deer-overpopulation-again/

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/participation_in_oak_mountain.html
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.