RFP #15, Tennessee Dirt Devil Camp & Ride, June 21-23

Started by Nice Goat, March 11, 2019, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Nice Goat

RFP = "Ride for Pie"

Why?  Because pie fixes everything!  And the bonus is ... I buy the pie!  And give you free stickers!

~~~~~====***====~~~~~

SECOND ANNUAL --- TENNESSEE DIRT DEVIL RIDE & CAMP!!!

Friday, June 21st - Set up camp at Meriwether Lewis Campground on the Natchez Trace.  Map: https://goo.gl/maps/Kp9qMoVtKwP2.  Make your way to the campground whenever and however you want.  I'll try to drive up the day before and get the campsite that I want (Site 27?) at the end of the loop.  There are lots of campsites and plenty of trees if you want to hang your hammock.  However, there are no showers at the campground, so you can either (a) bring a camp shower or (b) take a "ho bath" in the restrooms, which they do have.  I'm bringing a lot of stuff (cooler, pop-up canopy, grill, firewood, etc.), so I'll be driving up with the bike on the trailer.

Saturday, June 22nd - Ride 166 miles of TN Dirt Devil.  Mostly smooth dirt roads (some not so smooth and unfortunately, some pavement) with 20-25 creek crossings.  Depth of creek crossings will depend on rain that week, but usually they are not too challenging.  We will stay on public roads and avoid private property.  Lunch will be at the Beacon Light Tea Room.  Link: https://beaconlightrestaurant.com/.  Wear swim trunks under your riding pants, so you can cool off in the creek!  Back at the campground, there will surely be plenty of entertainment and lively conversation.

Proposed Route is 166 miles (counter-clockwise, tracks attached, map below):

• Leg A - 56 miles to gas station
  • Leg B - 38 miles to lunch & gas station
  • Leg C - 31 miles to waterfall and cooling off in the creek
  • Leg D - 41 miles back to Hohenwald and campground

Faster pace this year!

Sunday, June 23rd - Leisurely coffee and breakfast, pack up, clean up, and go home.

~~~~~====***====~~~~~

Important Notes:

• KSU at 8:00am Saturday!.  We've got a lot of ground to cover in the morning, so be ready!
  • We are not going to a gas station first, so if you need gas, please fill up Friday afternoon/evening.
  • It will likely be hot & humid, so please wear a hydration pack with 2-3 liters of water.
  • We will likely encounter several horses & buggies ... slow to minimum speed and be as quiet as possible as you pass.
  • Watch for dogs and other animals.
  • Bring your own camp food, camp stove, dehydrated eggs, instant coffee, tuna packs, crackers, Count Chocula, etc.
  • No organized breakfast or dinner plans, but Hohenwald is only 10 minutes away from the campground, if you prefer not to eat camp food.

~~~~~====***====~~~~~

Hopefully the weather will be great and the creeks will be just right in both depth and temperature, so dust off that camping gear and come on out!  Let's get those bikes wet!

Link to last year's ride: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2723.0

~~~~~====***====~~~~~
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Moto Guzzi

Great ride last year.  Imma put this one on the calendar.  Hopefully this year my DR won't bite you again!

Nice Goat

Quote from: Moto Guzzi on March 17, 2019, 09:00:54 PM
Great ride last year.  Imma put this one on the calendar.  Hopefully this year my DR won't bite you again!

Yeah, you can't buy memories like that though. 👍
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

Birthday weekend again for me this year! I hope the wife likes the easy gift of free time!!

I hope to make it!
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

Mulley

It's on the calandar. I hope I can make it again. Last year was a lot of fun. Maybe it won't be a 120F this time and we can finish the loop

I know I'm not the only one craving those biscuits with preserves at the lunch stop. Holy crap that was good. I might even enjoy a big ol' glass of milk with @kyle Peterson.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

KevinB

Fencejumper09

Mmmmm biscuits and preserves!

Will someone bring a tv so we can watch the pterodactyl video?
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

TWJohn

2007 V Star 1300
2022 DR650

KevinB

Quote from: KevinB on March 18, 2019, 10:25:51 PM
I should be able to make this one!

Change of plans...I might be able to make this. Mandatory work conference that week out of town. Depends on how early I can get back home Friday night if I'll be able to make it up there Saturday morning.

kdtrull

Mulley

Don't forget about this one folks. This is a great weekend of riding and camping. Be sure to respond so Nice Goat has an accurate head count.

Glenn, I plan to get there fairly early Friday. I'll already be in Manchester, TN the night before.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Moto Guzzi

I'm out.  I would love to go, had a great time on last year's ride.  But work demands dictate otherwise.  Perhaps next year!

klaviator

This looks like a lot of fun but for the second year in a row I have family obligations that day.   :(

2372ighost

I will make it again this year, great time last year.
Rich
2009 Vespa GTS250IE
2006 Ural Patrol
2011 Suzuki GSX1250 fa
2010 Husaberg FE390
1996 1400 Intruder

springer

It is on my scheduled list of things not to miss.  ;) Got my money somewhat straight, pulling a maintenance day on my bike this Wednesday or Thursday and will be ordering a new set of shoes for the fat pig! Baring a meeting with a mule on a foggy hill top road, I will be there! :D 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.