Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2T dual sport work shop

Started by Ryanbroome, October 12, 2015, 10:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanbroome

I can call it a dual sport because I DO have a tag for it! HA

I have a problem and a question.

My problem is someone stole the carburetor for my '99 KTM 300exc out of my truck a few weeks ago and I've been unsure on what 38mm carb to put back on. I know its a Keihin PWK 38mm but I don't know how many different versions are out there of that particular carb.
My other problem is that I don't have extra money laying around so I can only do this once.

My question is do I buy a cheap used carb from shmebay for $120-180 or do I look into getting a new one from JD Jetting for $250 plus shipping? I don't think $250 is a bad price for a new carb especially seeings how it comes with their jet kit already installed. Does anyone here have some sort of opinion about JD jets?

1. Is it a good product?
2. Does it make that big of a difference on trying to tune your bike?
3. Am I retarded to care this much about a stupid carburetor?

springer

From my experience, going new is easier and sometimes cheaper. Some of the fleabay stuff I have bought in the past turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.
The other stuff was a joy.

REALLY depends on the seller. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

SpeedyR

JD is  typically the best when it comes to jet kits for the KTM's and just general all-around knowledge. If you have the opportunity to buy one from him for $250 with his jetting kit the knowledge that he may be able to give you if you have any issues would probably be priceless

lazeebum

I am inclined to agree with Springer. The new carburetor will get you riding sooner.

Ryanbroome

Quote from: lazeebum on October 12, 2015, 09:10:07 PM
I am inclined to agree with Springer. The new carburetor will get you riding sooner.

True. No trying to figure out which needle to go with and which position. I wasn't sure if JD was any good but anything new already set up is bound to be better than something used.
https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=60&cat=28&page=1

battlebuddy618

Getting your carb stolen and replacing it w a new one sure is a strange way to fix a stumble / load up conditon but hopefully it works for ya.  Get that fucker together and let's go ride!

Ryanbroome

Quote from: battlebuddy618 on October 14, 2015, 08:50:37 PM
Getting your carb stolen and replacing it w a new one sure is a strange way to fix a stumble / load up conditon but hopefully it works for ya.  Get that fucker together and let's go ride!

Amen! I can't freaken wait

Jason

I know JD is highly respected in the DRZ world as well.

Mulley

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Ryanbroome

Quote from: Mulley on October 16, 2015, 01:31:47 PM
The new carbs from Lectron seem to be the latest hot item. It's jetless and fully adjustable.

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/carburetor/lectron_44mm_power_jet_high_velocity_carburetor.html

https://youtu.be/boa_TvDFT24
Looks nice. Do you know anything about them? Are they having good results with it? It would be worth the extra hundred bucks if it was pretty much flawless

Mulley

Just that its becoming very popular and considered a good upgrade even on brand new KTMs and Betas. The fact that its fully adjustable with no needles and its super crisp off the bottom is awesome.

I like this guys channel. Here is his install and first impression on his 300 XC.

2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

Ryanbroome

2smoke

So THAT is the 12 O'clock Boys secret!  ???

Seriously, impressive setup AND transferable  8)

Ryanbroome

I'd like to see how many people are using that carb.

Ryanbroome

What bothers me about a new carb like that is how much r&d has gone into it. I don't know anything about this little miracle carb. I don't have anyone to talk to about their experiences with it. On the other hand I can get a Keihin carb that came stock on the bike with a well known needle and jet upgrade kit.
The money isn't the issue. I just keep thinking why not go back with what's supposed to be on it. Don't try to change what has been working for many many years.
I'm going to do a lot of research on this new Lectron carb before I make a decision. I'm in a hurry to ride but I don't want to get something that's  second best.