News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Breakin

Started by polarissalesman, May 05, 2019, 07:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarissalesman

As some of you have read I have purchased/traded for a new Super Tenere. I have never OWNED a new bike. Here is my dilemma. The bike is set to arrive on the 14th, and we are leaving the 18th for Gettysburg. I work till 5:30   it's going to be rough getting 600 miles on it before we leave or I think it will. I don't like the thought of changing oil say 2/3 of the way to Gettysburg ... LOL, I've already had offers to BREAK it in for me... Any suggestions  I know i need to vary speeds but how is the best way to break a new bike in?  Baby it? or ride it like I stole it?
"keep the rubber side down"

Nice Goat

Just ride it normally, and stay away from red line.  It's very easy to change the oil on the Super Ten.  It takes a standard screw on filter.  I used the Mobil1 M1-108 or M1-110 (higher capacity) available almost anywhere.  If you can't get 600 miles before leaving, just change the oil anyway the night before and change it again when you get home.  It will be fine.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

polarissalesman

thanks ..... I knew I could count on MA riders...  ;D ;D

norton73

Ride twisty roads, shift gears, run it up and down the tach, do anything but just drone at the same revs and gear. Most modern bikes will handle anything any way.  of course, there's a few out there that believe, "fast break in, fast bike"

Loose nut holding the handlebars

polarissalesman

Quote from: norton73 on May 05, 2019, 10:04:00 PM
Ride twisty roads, shift gears, run it up and down the tach, do anything but just drone at the same revs and gear. Most modern bikes will handle anything any way.  of course, there's a few out there that believe, "fast break in, fast bike"

Had a buddy that bought a new pick up ever 2 yrs back in the 70's and 80's and he had 1 speed breaking it in .... to the floor and held it there. he do that till he got about 3k miles on it... said he never had a pickup to use oil... wonders if that works for bikes   lol

klaviator

I normally take it easy the first few hundred miles, vary the RPM, no long distance constant throttle.  Then gradually ride it harder.  I normally do the first oil change before 600 miles.  I use regular oil change the first oil change then go to synthetic on the second one.  On a big bike like the ST break in is easy. 

maydaymike

Quote from: polarissalesman on May 05, 2019, 07:38:54 AM
it's going to be rough getting 600 miles on it before we leave...

I had the opposite problem!  I bought my new scoot on Friday April 26th, and I had the first 600 miles on it by the following Tuesday.  I had to park it until  the oil filters arrived on Saturday to do the first service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185