Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Grass clippings... problem or not?

Started by Nice Goat, June 01, 2019, 06:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

Quote from: springer on June 03, 2019, 08:45:44 AM
Grass clippings can be a pain....
GLASS clippings will cut your tires in a New York minute...
Somebody typed the wrong word or was just seeing who can read.  :D :D :D

Oops!  It was just a typo, and nobody caught it except you!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

odell2115

Nice Goat

As much as I would like to see growth in the riding population, we have a serious headwind with declining skill and common sense.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chuck A.

Fresh grass clippings in a curve is more than rider skill. Weight of bike, bike weight high or low of center, tire thread, tire compound, speed of approach, and angle of lean all come into play with rider skill when you try to comment to a question like this. No two people and no two bikes will handle the scenario the same.  8)
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdt

People's beliefs are a culmination of their experiences.  Belittling one's ideas is very close to an attack on that person. Ideas make the person who they are. JRobinson

polarissalesman

only problem I have is if a bike is in front of me I get a face full of grass debris. It's not as slick as ice. Wet leaves and straw is slick.... but not grass.... IMO
"keep the rubber side down"

odell2115

bblass

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

klaviator

I have been riding for 39 years.  I haven't crashed on grass in the road yet.  That's all I have to say about that.

bblass

Apologies for the risqué meme, but it was too perfect not to share in this discussion

I'll never be old enough to ride a sportbike responsibly...

springer

Quote from: Nice Goat on June 04, 2019, 01:47:46 PM
As much as I would like to see growth in the riding population, we have a serious headwind with declining skill and common sense.

What is need is some Kone Killing. Nothing breeds confidence more than killing some evil kones. 
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

maydaymike

Quote from: springer on June 10, 2019, 08:08:05 AM
What is need is some Kone Killing. Nothing breeds confidence more than killing some evil kones.
Can we set up a course with grass clippings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 189k
2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob 74k
2019 Vespa GTS300 Super 11k
IBA#58185

springer

Quote from: maydaymike on June 13, 2019, 01:00:12 PM
Can we set up a course with grass clippings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sure! We can even set it up on grass!! Anyone know of a good victim with a big yard? :D
What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Chitza

Quote from: springer on June 13, 2019, 02:43:48 PM
Sure! We can even set it up on grass!! Anyone know of a good victim with a big yard? :D

Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Hammerdown77

2016 BMW R1200 GS
2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

klaviator

Quote from: Hammerdown77 on June 17, 2019, 09:01:23 AM
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/354928/grass-clipping-deadly-motorcycle-crash/?fbclid=IwAR2IObRm56q3Ak5roLckXHvxKp2OkvxvF5aeFdkVF6XRS3qLfQKzGs4DIJ0

I'm going to go out on a limb and say grass clippings in the road wasn't the root cause of this fatality....

I agree.  Grass in the road is a Hazard but the cause of the crash was the riders inability to deal with that hazard.