News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

2003 Ducati 800SS Rainsville

Started by Bama_Rider, November 10, 2019, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama_Rider

Selling my minty 800SS.  16k miles  Sargent seat, MRA double bubble screen, Apex adjustable clip-ons with Domino MotoGP grips,Techspec tank grips, open airbox with oiled gauze filter, Spark carbon exhaust cans, power commander.  I also put on a cool looking screw off gas filler.   New Michelin Pilot Power tires (just put them on last month.  They have about 100 miles on them) The stock seat is gray so when I bought the Sargent I put a black tank pad on it from a 1999.  I have all the bits to return it to stock included a brand new airbox lid with snorkels that I bought in case I sold it to a collector.  I also have a factory and aftermarket repair manual, original owners manual and a valve shim kit.  Belts and valve adjustment done spring of this year.

This is a rare bike.  In 2003 Ducati updated the line.  The 900 became a 1000 and the 750 an 800.  There were two 800's.  The 800SS like this one and an 800 Sport.  The SS had an aluminum swingarm, fully adjustable suspension, Brembo brakes and Marchesini wheels.  The Sport had none of that and was $1000 cheaper.  Guess which one sold?    After one year Ducati dropped the higher spec 800 and renamed the cheap one the 800SS.  They only made this one year.  I emailed Ducati with the VIN number and asked how many they made.  They told me 50.  Since the VIN contains the color code I guess that means 50 red ones.   I doubt they sold more gray or yellow ones so total production is probably around 100 or less.   Same fairings as all the other 99-07 Supersports so it doesn't look different unless you know what to look for.   This may be worth some money someday to a Ducati collector who wants them all, who knows?

This has been my sunny day mountain road ride since 2011.   Getting to old and rickety to ride it.  I start getting shoulder/neck pain after an hour and I can push through for a couple hours after which it stops being fun.  I am replacing it with a brand new SV650.

I would like to get around $4k for it due to the condition, completeness and rarity. 

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Bama_Rider

Yeah, part of me wants to keep it around just to look at it.