News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Columbus Day weekend camping trip with two bikes

Started by TN_twowheeladdict, October 20, 2020, 07:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_twowheeladdict

I planned to camp at Cumberland Falls State Park, KY from Friday through Columbus Day and as it approached it looked like Hurricane Delta was going to rain on my parade. Every day the forecast got worse. On the Monday before the weekend I checked to see if I could go up early on Wednesday since the weather had been beautiful. I couldn't get in at the campground, so I did the next best thing and booked into Standing Stone State Park, TN for Wednesday and Thursday nights before heading to Cumberland Falls. Standing Stone State Park was kind of on my way to Cumberland Falls State Park so I figured I would be able to get in some street riding on Friday before the rains came in.

This was to be my first trip with two bikes loaded in my enclosed trailer that I am slowly converting into a rustic toy hauler / camping platform. The plan was to bring the Moto Guzzi for street riding and the Van Van for exploring forest service roads.

Standing Stone State Park was a nice surprise and there were great paved and unpaved roads to ride.

I use www.gravelmap.com to help find unpaved roads in an area of interest and will add to the website if I find additional roads. I use Google to search for "nice" motorcycle roads in the area of interest. There are a few websites dedicated to motorcycle routes and roads.

My trailer is fully insulated, but I have found that controlling the climate in the trailer is a bit of a challenge. If it is hot enough for AC the unit will do the job of keeping things cool, but might not do that great with humidity. After a couple trips where I just felt like it was humid in the trailer, I bought a humidity meter / thermometer to monitor the climate and found that I needed to supplement the AC with a dehumidifier. I also have a ceramic heater that I have yet to need even thought the temps were getting in the low 50s at night outside.

Friday I moved to Cumberland Falls State Park as was able to ride a few of the twisty roads I had planned on riding while there. If I had only brought the Moto Guzzi on this trip I would have either went home early or found something other than riding to do because Saturday and Sunday were constant rain to constant light rain. The Van Van and many miles of Forest Service roads were fun in those conditions. Thankful I bought full gore-tex gear when I was doing major touring. I was comfortable and dry the entire weekend.

2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

TN_twowheeladdict

Here are more photo highlights of my adventure. Standing Stone area.

2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

TN_twowheeladdict

The rest of these are in the Cumberland Falls State Park and Daniel Boone National Forest area.

2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

TN_twowheeladdict

2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

norton73

Looks like a good time. 

I've ridden street in that area before, but never explored the dirty stuff.

Thanks for the pics and inspiration.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

klaviator

Nice pics.  I guess I'll just have to add this to all the other areas I still need to ride.

Gam

I stayed at Cumberland Falls State Park once to see the moonbow. Fog was so thick you couldn't see your feet, so no moonbow. Nice area though.

Fencejumper09

2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332