News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

T-7 Tenere

Started by norton73, October 27, 2020, 08:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton73

I picked up a barely used Tenere Saturday,the bike had 832 miles on it, the PO decided it wasn't for him.

More on that later...

Took the new wheels for about a 130 miles yesterday.

First 30 were to the courthouse to get a tag, out of state bikes need to have the Vin verified before they will issue a tag and title.

Rode the 10ish miles up the interstate first to get the tag, the bike rode like the suspension was locked up, beating me to death.

After I got the tag, I rode some backroads home, felt every seam in the pavement.

The PO had forgotten to bring the owner's manual with him when we meet up to do the handoff. When I got home I found a PDF of a euro market owner's manual, I assume the only difference was all the measurements were metric. Checked the suspension settings, and everything was set to almost the hardest settings. The PO was a big guy, 6'4'ish, but I didn't think he was any heavier than me. I returned everything to the settings according to the manual, took it for a brief ride, then returned home and set the shock preload and the compression settings on both the rear and front down a couple more clicks.

Rode much better, went out and rode about a 100 miles of little backroads, I'll still need to play with the settings, but it was pretty good on broken pavement, etc. No dirt yet. Don't want to get my new bike dirty ;-)

This thing has the flattest torque curve of any bike I have ever ridden, from idle to redline, it just pulls. No snatch, no lag, just goes. Pulls like a big electric motor, doesn't matter what gear, uphill, etc, just pulls.

My ride included a couple uphill's with hairpins, the kind that you enter at 15mph, climbs 10 feet during the turn. Most bikes you are either screaming in first, or lugging in second, slipping the clutch to keep from stalling. On the Tenere, it just pulled smoothly in second, threatening to lift the front wheel.

The PO put a taller windshield on it, not to wild about looking through it. He said he will send the stock one and few other items to me next week.

A few more tweaks, and I think this thing is a keeper.

Loose nut holding the handlebars

TFancher

Wow that's probably the first one sold on the "used" bike market. This one is on my short list. Please keep us posted on your experience with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however,  extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

If it don't scare you, you ain't doing it right.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

SoloRider73

Awesome, I have yet to see one in person.  The engine gets rave reviews and is typical Yamaha reliable.

Hope it's a keeper for you.

Sweeper

I've yet to see one in person but it looks like they hit all the right marks. I'm really happy with my CB500x but wish it was a little lighter and had a real suspension. I'm in the process of taking care of that this month. Fingers crossed it goes well and that I don't get an opportunity to get close to one of these.  Nice score!

Mulley

Congratulations. That's a really cool ride. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the adventures to come.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

norton73

Quote from: TFancher on October 27, 2020, 08:40:14 AM
Wow that's probably the first one sold on the "used" bike market. This one is on my short list. Please keep us posted on your experience with it!

I was kinda worried, I've never bought a new bike and thought I was gonna go into new territory.

I'd been thinkin' about one for a couple months, and told my wife there were a couple locally, according to Yamaha's locator. I was gonna call around last Monday, and as I was headed out the door for work, this one popped up over in the AdvRider market. Called the guy immediatly, made the deal, and set a time to meet him.

TN_twowheeladdict

Congrats.  I had a '15 FZ-07.  Excellent engine.  It was a nice bike, just too plastic and built to a budget to be a long term keeper. 
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

BamaPhill

Congrats. Keep us updated on your experiences/opinions on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2013 DR650
2015 CRF250L

Smitkev2

I just picked mine up on Saturday. Love it. I'd love to plan or join some rides in the future.
@norton73, I grew up in Springvillle, live in Auburn now.

norton73

Quote from: Smitkev2 on November 12, 2020, 05:49:15 AM
I just picked mine up on Saturday. Love it. I'd love to plan or join some rides in the future.
@norton73, I grew up in Springvillle, live in Auburn now.

I'm afraid I'm not a local boy, moved here from MD in 2004. Nice place to live, don't miss shoveling snow one bit.

Might ride Talladaega Nat'l forest Sunday depending on weather. it'll be any easy ride, my friend, while a long time street rider, has very limited experience as an offroad rider. This will be his first offroad trip on his new to him F650GS.

norton73

installed the AXP plastic skid plate today.

https://www.axp-racing.com/en/adventure/yamaha-700-tenere/

Much bigger than the tin foil stock one;

A little fiddley to install, but I think I have a process now to remove and install in the future for oil changes.

I liked this one for several reasons,

Shock linkage protection

Water pump protection

Plastic shouldn't deflect motor noise upwards

Plastic shouldn't sound like hail on a tin roof when rocks hit it.

Plastic should slide over rocks better than aluminum.

As a long time whitewater kayak paddler, I've beat lots of plastic kayaks down some gnarly rivers, they have almost always held up fine, out of 15+ boats, only one has ever cracked.

norton73

Last week I installed a heavier rear shock spring,

Hopefully this one is better at supporting a healthy beer drinking male.

The PO sent the Owner's Manual and a couple windshields. One was the stock one.

The other was a short Sport Shield;

SoloRider73

Saw this video about jacking up the bike. Apparently you have to be careful where you are jacking the bike.

https://youtu.be/4JoCljrO9qE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

norton73

Yeah, I'd been told about not lifting the bike by the rails.

I looked at how the rails are attached to the footpeg mounts, and that place where they bolt doesn't look that solid. Hard to see in my picture, but I have blocks of wood underneath the big part of the footpeg mounts supporting the bike.

I'm debating a centerstand. I kinda want to keep the bike light, but a centerstand would make maintenance easier.

jrobinson

Soooo.....you can bang the skid plate off of logs and rocks, but you can't jack the bike up using same skid plate??    What am I missing, help me out here. lol