Street ride - starting in Gurley AL - Saturday July 24th

Started by David DoubleEX, July 20, 2021, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David DoubleEX

Who would be interested In a street ride Saturday? Thinking leaving the Gurley AL Mapco at 9AM.

I'm still debating on routes but if we have interest In a ride, I will for sure do something.

We can ride up to Lynchburg and then over to the Old Delina Country Stor for lunch is the kind of easiest option I am looking at.
Another option is that I have wanted to go to Altamont TN and check out the waterfall there.
On the other hand of that, it's rained pretty much constantly for awhile now and I bet High Falls near Geraldine AL will be REALLY flowing. Plus taking that route would be my old stomping grounds so I'd have some neat places we could stop by too.

I know I'm posting this as kind of a ride planning, but I will decide a route as long as there is interest in going. Though thoughts on routes are still welcome.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Frank Smith

I want to go. Altamont sounds good.  Haven't been there.  Wherever you decide is fine.
Frank smith
New Market Al
R1200GSA
R80RT
350 EXC-F

mojo1

I might be able to make it up. If I do I'm good with whatever.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

David DoubleEX

Altamont it is! Kickstands up at 9AM Saturday. I will come early to stop at Hardee's and grab a biscuit and coffee first.

I'll map out a route to get there that avoids main roads for the most part. Typical country riding for us.

Sweeper

I'll try and make it. I'll post up either way Friday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoloRider73

Sweeper

I'll see y'all in the morning.

klaviator

This looks like fun but I just came back from a five day trip of dual sport riding in Maggie Valley.  Take some pics.

Sweeper

Great ride today! Enjoyed riding Frank's primo BMW. Rode through three showers from Huntsville to Decatur. Pulled in the garage in Hartselle and it poured. Oh and Win doesn't make us walk like David does.

mojo1

Had a good time today. Left the House at 6am & got home at 8:20. Luckily I missed any rain.
GREG
06 FZ1
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Sweeper

Figured out why my helmet got so loud yesterday. The pinloc tab fell out of the shield. I could be deaf from the noise!

David DoubleEX

We had a great ride. Left with a crew of 6 from Gurley.

The roads started out great but I ended up first hitting a road that didn't exist, but then also finding my route included dirt roads. I was able to navigate around the 2 or 3 dirt roads, but I wouldn't mind doing it again WITH the dirt roads. Turns out that when I build a route using Locus Maps and tell it I'm on a mountain bike, it maps dirt roads too. This will take some experimentation.

On our way to Altamont, I saw a lemonade stand on the side of the road. They were raising money for a children's ministry, had lemonade, and had a super cure little doggo. I didn't have to think twice.

Shortly before making it to Altamont, TWJohn broke off and headed back home for a birthday party.

We made it to Altamont and hiked a half mile to the waterfall. There were a lot of people who decided to go swimming at the waterfall. We thought about it, and Frank even took his pants off, but instead we hiked back up and left to find food.

We rode back to Monteagle, got gas at the busiest gas station, and then ate at Up In Snoke BBQ. Was a great lunch with great people. Ronnie broke off here and rode his Moto Guzzi the fast route back home.

After leaving Monteagle we stopped at the natural Bridge in Sewanee.

From there we rode back down at Alabama and stopped at a gas station in Hollywood. This is where we had our last conversations before splitting off. Greg started back towards Birmingham, Randy to Hartselle, and Frank and I rode together back to New Market.

Overall, it was a full day of riding with great people on great roads. Appreciate yall not getting frustrated on my detours due to route issues.

Also, these old guys might complain about the walking we did, but let's be honest, it was good for all of us! It's healthy to stretch our legs.

SoloRider73

I had a good time even if I found out how bad out of shape I really am.   :'(

I would be interested in exploring some of the gravel roads.  Let me know if you want to go out exploring some time.

Nice Goat

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Guidedawg

Looks like y'all had a great time.  I had never heard of High Falls when I read your original post and since I attended a family reunion for my wife and MIL's family on Sand Mountain Sunday, we made a detour (I was caging it) to check it out.  It looks like a very popular swimming hole and I did see a handful of bikes there.

The things you learn here!  I'm glad you mentioned it; it was definitely worth seeing.