News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Looking for adventure bike/off road mentoring.

Started by Madmanmike, July 31, 2021, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmanmike

I rode dirt bikes and enduro off road bikes as a kid, 45 years ago. May be a little bit rusty.

Looking for someone that knows the non-paved area of Madison county and would like to lead some forays off the pavement. I know that klaviator and some others have led some rides that included some dirt and gravel, but there hasn't seemed to be much interest in that lately.

I'm just officially stating my interest in said off road rides. Just let me know when and where. My schedule isn't completely open (Sundays are a no-go as are Thursday afternoons) but I will show up if I can. I will also admit to being green but I am willing to watch, listen and learn.

Michael

David DoubleEX

I will be going to Missouri next week. Leaving Thursday and coming back Sunday. Riding my 2014 V Strom 1000 around Mark Twain national forest with plenty of dirt.

With that said, I too an interested in more dirt riding. I have both a dirt bike and adventure bike. But the dirt bike i typically only use for trail riding.

I want to ride the whole Tennessee portion of the trans America trail, which is a true adventure ride with regular dirt.
I also led a ride last weekend that my route incidentally had dirt on that we had to bypass.

Anywho. I want to ride my big adventure bike offroad too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Madmanmike

thinwater

There isn't a lot of quantity in Madison County.  You could run day ride in nearby Limestone Co and very Southern TN and get a dose of what you need to be comfortable with to run the TAT.  Heck you can even run the TAT TN-18 from Huntsville with an early morning start and get a dose of everything you'd encounter, and be in your own bed that night.  I ran a halfday Saturday but didn't plan it, if I'd seen this in time I'd have hollered at you. 

klaviator

Quote from: Madmanmike on July 31, 2021, 06:30:44 PM
Looking for someone that knows the non-paved area of Madison county and would like to lead some forays off the pavement. I know that klaviator and some others have led some rides that included some dirt and gravel, but there hasn't seemed to be much interest in that lately.

The reason there hasn't seemed to be much interest in local dirt and gravel road rides is because we have been busy riding in places like Little Switzerland and Maggie Valley.  There's even a couple getting ready to go ride Colorado.  There will be more local rides coming up especially in the fall but right now many of us have out of state riding plans.

A good place for some easy gravel roads nearby is the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. 

TN_twowheeladdict

I rode dirt bikes and enduro off road bikes as a kid, 45 years ago. May be a little bit rusty.

I'm just officially stating my interest in said off road rides. Just let me know when and where. My schedule isn't completely open (Sundays are a no-go as are Thursday afternoons) but I will show up if I can. I will also admit to being green but I am willing to watch, listen and learn.

Michael

My recommendation is to hone your slow speed off road riding skills before moving up to group rides with gravel roads.  I don't know where you live, but if you have a big enough yard wear some tracks in it.  If you aren't allowed, then find a subdivision just getting the roads put in, or a large empty field.  It is not the bike, but the rider as seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFT-QIU1aiU

Other than riding friends mini bikes as a kid I didn't start dual sport riding until I was in my early 40s.  Bought a used DRZ400S to hone my skills on.  I was lucky that my area had some crop farms, construction areas, and ATV trails along the Flint River to explore.  I would slowly go through muddy ruts and when my front wheel would climb out I would learn to crab the bike to the end of the rut.  I learned that you don't slow down as fast on marbly gravel as you do on pavement.  I learned that it is better to go through the middle of a puddle than to ride on the steep and slippery edge.  All things that are better learned on a light bike made to take a fall. 

The experiences and skills I evolved on lighter dual sports allowed me to ride my touring bike and sport touring bikes on gravel and to campsites without issue. 
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

TN_twowheeladdict

You might want to go pick up an old 250 dual sport.  You might find that your overall motorcycle insurance actually goes down. 

Use that to refresh your skills before venturing out on the Tiger and then if you want to, sell the dual sport for what you paid for it.  I bought a '93 Honda XR250L for $600 because that was the NADA and all I was willing to pay.  Several years later the NADA was $1200 so I sold the bike to an acquaintance.  A couple years later a dealer gave him $1200 trade in on the old Honda. 

Big adventure bikes off road should be left to the skilled and strong rider.  That is my opinion based on observation and a friend who now has rods in his leg from biting off more than he should have. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

Madmanmike

TN_twowheeladdict

Quote from: Madmanmike on August 02, 2021, 02:42:26 PM
Good advice one and all. Thank you.

I saw the photo you posted in the photo thread.  I would also recommend you pull those panniers and top case and go back to that area in the photo to practice riding through those puddles. 

Practice braking and and power sliding there as well.  You know, all those things you did when you were young.   Hopefully it is not too far from your house. 
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200

Mashrider

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mashrider

Mike are you the guy in the triumph tiger thst bride with us to alsport last sat? I'm thinking of riding the Tenneessee dirt devil soon

Madmanmike

Quote from: Mashrider on August 13, 2021, 04:28:21 PM
Mike are you the guy in the triumph tiger thst bride with us to alsport last sat? I'm thinking of riding the Tenneessee dirt devil soon.

Yessir, that's me. Your mention was the first I've heard of the TDD, I will research and I am interested, for sure. With the caveat that I'm pretty new to the off road thang.

Michael

Mashrider

Micheal, I bought the map last week, it's supposed to be a pretty easy run, Jeep's and passenger cars go on it, you have to be tagged it's public roads. I am retired, I do work part time... so just about anytime

Madmanmike

Quote from: Mashrider on August 13, 2021, 05:06:10 PM
Micheal, I bought the map last week, it's supposed to be a pretty easy run, Jeep's and passenger cars go on it, you have to be tagged it's public roads. I am retired, I do work part time... so just about anytime

Did we talk at Alsport, or just ride there together? What were you riding? I am horrible with names.