News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Thinking about the Smoky Mountain 500 on bike bikes.

Started by LawnmowerRG, September 23, 2021, 03:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawnmowerRG

I've been talking about doing the Smoky Mountain 500 on my he bike BMW. Is any one interested.
For me it would probably be the week between Christmas and New years.
I know a couple of guys have mentioned it in recent days.
@lastparrot

If you've done it speak up. If your interested speak up too.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

lastparrot

I am interested, I'll no more after October about my schedule.  Are you thinking about a 3 day trip?  Not sure about taking the GD or the 690.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LawnmowerRG

I will be taking the BMW. I thinking 3-4 middle of the week. I have friends in Andrew's NC so I have a good secure location to base from or drop trailers.

TN_twowheeladdict

I watched some videos and there is at least one water crossing I don't think I would want to do in December.  Y'all have fun and take plenty of photos! 
2019 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN
2017 SUZUKI VAN VAN 200
2018 MOTO GUZZI V7III CARBON
2018 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE SPECIAL

lastparrot

Not sure if I'll be able to make it.  I'll keep ya updated.  Not looking at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Al Goodwin

The week between Christmas and New Years is an unpredictable time, weather wise.  We camped in Helen in New Years weekend in single digit temps.

Will you be camping? Hotels? ...???

LawnmowerRG

Well, I'm kinda out. I'm going to scout out the trip and stay with some friends. It looks like the temps will be in the mid to low 20s at night. Not a good time to get wet. I know last parrot is out. I talked to him earlier this week.

Not to mention my friend kind had a driveway washout. It isnt reasonably possible to get some trailers in and out at the moment. Part of my trip will be helping him build a new bridge.

LawnmowerRG

I did make it up there. I did ride. I didn't make it to the road. I got caught in some of the hardest rain I have ever ridden in just as I was getting to the area. I chose to turn around. I didn't think riding a big bike on a muddy road, solo, in the rain combined with dropping temps was a wise decision.

On the other hand the snow was beautiful Monday morning. Right up till the drive home through East Tennessee. Well it was pretty just not fun to drive through.