New Scoot

Started by hawkvtx, September 12, 2022, 04:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkvtx

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Nice Goat

Nice!  As you get to know the bike, let us know your likes and dislikes, please!

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

hawkvtx

Right off the top of my head I'm having a hard time getting used to the power (or lack thereof) of the small 310cc engine. I knew going into it that it would be substantially different from riding a big 1800 cc cruiser but it's almost comical.  However I have been commuting on it all this week and I'm starting to settle in with it's capabilities. The height is also throwing me off a little. I'm riding a little timidly. If I had to make a very sudden stop getting a toe on the ground would be a challege. Once I get the lowering link installed and the forks adjusted I'll post up and let you know how that changes the overall dynamics of riding it. Hope to have those parts in by the end of the week.
I haven't taken it off road yet but I think it's going to be just fine for what I need/want it to do. It's very agile and very light (compared to an 800lb. bike) so maneuvering around is so easy and when I drop it , which I'm sure I will, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

hawkvtx

Quote from: Nice Goat on September 14, 2022, 12:47:28 PM
Nice!  As you get to know the bike, let us know your likes and dislikes, please!

Had the GS for about a month now. Took it off roading yesterday for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by the suspension. Critics say the stock suspension is not the greatest but I found it was more than adequate for me. This bike was designed for people 180 lbs and under and a lot of what I've seen online is that if you're over 180 lbs. the suspension will bottom out , that the rear preload needs to be set all the way to the 9 or 10 position , blah blah blah. Well I'm waaaay over 180 lbs. I've got the preload at 3 and I didn't bottom out the front or the rear a single time. And that was hitting some pretty big rocks and pretty deep holes at 20- 35 mph. I think the naysayers must own stock in RallyRaid because it sure seems they want to sell you their suspension.

With the lowering link added I didn't notice any discernible difference in the handling either. But I noticed a great difference in my confidence riding the bike. Now that I can get my left foot all the way down at stops I feel more in control than before. Rode about 200 miles yesterday mostly on road but quite a bit off road too and just felt more in control of the bike than before.

Also a lot of the reviewers say the GS has a lot of vibration at 7500 rpms and above. This bike cruises along at 65-70 mph running around 7500 rpms all day and to me the vibration wasn't that noticible. I suppose if one really paid attention to it one would notice a little buzzing but you would really have to pay attention to it for it to be an issue. After having the bike for a month now I don't even notice it.

The stock tires are not really a complaint but when it's time for new tires I'll probably go with a 50/50 tire. Had those roads I was on yesterday been wet or muddy the stock tires would have not been able to handle it.

All in all I'm quite pleased with 310GS.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500

Nice Goat

Bottoming out the suspension is also a function of how hard you ride it.  If you are riding it relatively easily, i.e., not jumping and poppin' wheelies, you'll likely never see it bottom out, regardless of your weight.

Glad you are enjoying it!
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Fencejumper09

These "little" bikes are very intriguing to me but I am also a fan of the POWA

Did you get a chance to test ride any of the competition i.e. KTM390?
2013 KTM 690 Enduro/Sumo
2013 KTM RC8R
2011 KTM 990 SMR (Oh Yeah)
2020 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
1985 Goldwing (ish)
2014 BMW 1200RT
Remember, a boss doesn't always do smart things, but he always does them like a boss. - Paebr332

hawkvtx

No, I really wasn't interested in the KTM although I understand it's great bike. The only other bikes I was considering was the Royal Enfield Himalayan and the Honda CB500X. I loved the low seat height on the Himalayan but with almost 100cc's more than the the GS it makes less horsepower and torque. I wanted to like that bike but just didn't. The Honda's were just too hard to come by. I could've ordered one but the dealer had no idea how long it would take to get it delivered. I found a dealer that had one in stock but I didn't want to go all the way to North Carolina to buy a bike sight unseen. Freedom in Huntsville had this little bike on the floor, so I bought it.
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
2022 BMW G310GS
2018 Honda Rebel 500