News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Buying klr tomorrow.... total dual sport newbie

Started by Muss, November 16, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muss

Live north  of Huntsville. Only ridden Harley in past. Looking for places off road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Goodwin

Quote from: Muss on November 16, 2015, 06:52:35 PM
Live north  of Huntsville. Only ridden Harley in past. Looking for places off road

Flint Creek Trail, Bankhead Forrest
Stony Lonesome, Cullman

I'd say to look through the old "ride reports", but most of those disappeared a couple months ago :o

Look through those on here, and keep your eyes on the upcoming events and rides.....

Muss

lazeebum

Chitza

Hey, Muss, go to the Welcome board and do an intro for us. We would love to see pics of your bikes and learn a little about you. Then we could point you in the best directions for where you are and what kind of riding you like to do :)
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

griff

Welcome from East of Huntsville. There's not a lot of dirt roads around Huntsville itself. Most of the trails are to much for a new guy with a KLR650. There are some good easy trails on wheeler wild life refuge. Swan creek WMA used to have some as well. There's also an area near skyline but it's only open two weeks before season and two weeks after. Bankhead is not that far away and has a nice camp ground as well. There's about 35 miles near Little River Canyon in the backcountry area (2 camp sites). 
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

lazeebum

Keep an eye on up coming rides, most people who plan a ride tell the difficulty of the route. There are a lot of good people who will let you ride at your pace, and help you pick up your bike WHEN you drop it.

Muss

Lol. I've picked up Harley's by myself. I think I'll b ok picking up a bike half the weight.

KevinB

Sometimes I've had more trouble picking up my 225lb. dirt bike than I ever had picking up an 850 lb. Road King. ;-)

Nice Goat

Quote from: Muss on November 18, 2015, 10:00:41 AM
Lol. I've picked up Harley's by myself. I think I'll b ok picking up a bike half the weight.

Until the second time you pick it up on the side of a hill or drag it out of a mudhole.  That KLR will start to feel like a Gold Wing.  :D

With a KLR, as a DS newbie, I would recommend only dirt roads until you get comfortable.  And then, when you do try something harder, make sure that you have several exit paths if you get in too deep.

I would recommend starting off by exploring Wheeler Wildlife Refuge.  Lots of dirt roads and a couple of mud holes to experiment on.  Also, lots of very scenic dirt roads in Bankhead Nat'l Forest.

IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Muss

Lol. Yeah I'm not too interested in getting muddy. Just looking for simple off-road and some scenery

LRobinson

Quote from: Muss on November 18, 2015, 02:22:07 PM
Lol. Yeah I'm not too interested in getting muddy. Just looking for simple off-road and some scenery

That's what we all say.    I started off wanting to ride dirt roads.   Now I look forward to mud, tight trails, and hill climbs (Mind you, I said I look forward to them - NOT that I was good at them).   Anyway, once most people get off road they find they want a little more excitement than dirt roads.   In the right hands the KLR is a capable machine and can certainly go on any trails that "I" can ride.   It does get a little heavy after picking it up 3 or 4 times but you will enjoy it. 

I think that the Cahaba WMA will be perfect place to explore and your BIL can certainly show you around.   

Muss

I've camped in Bankhead before. Love it down there.

lazeebum

It is funny how it starts with "just gravel roads" then you ride with someone like KD Trull or A Goodwin, and you're hooked.