News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Which Sport Tourer

Started by jwdmotorsports, December 20, 2015, 06:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwdmotorsports

So, I'm thinking about selling the GS500 (never really fell in love with it anyway) and buying a sport tourer.
For no explainable reason I have narrowed it down to either a Honda ST1100 or a BMW R1100RT. Based on what I've looked at online it looks like for the $2500-3000 range I'm looking at I would be picking up a bike with 50-60k miles on it.
So, the question is, which would be the most trouble free reliable bike to buy? If you own one or have owned one of the bikes please share your experience.
Which would you buy? Why? If you wouldn't buy either but have other recommendations, what would you buy?

Gdenn

cant comment on the Bmw, never owned one.  Qwned a Honda st1100 and it had around 90k on it when I sold it.  Had to replace front universal joint in drive shaft around 75k. Other than that just regular oil changes, tires, and battery. Hey its a Honda!  they were pretty much unchanged from 91 until 2002.  Early ones had smallish alternators about 30 amps I think, then in 1995 Honda upgraded to 40 amp If I remember correctly  Other than that upgrade pretty much same bike until it was replaced with St1300.  the st1100 is A bulletproof bike that is smooth and fast, a good mile cruncher with 50 mpg average and 6 gallon tank

jwdmotorsports

I had read that the alternators were too small on the early st1100's. I would assume that you could just swap it for the larger alternator. Is that a correct assumption?

Gdenn

yes the larger alternators will bolt in the older motors

Gdenn

when I say bolt in, the rear tire and swingarm have to be removed to install the alternator.  IM thinking would take a decent mechanic to do the swap.  I:d look for a 95 and up just for the upgraded alternator.

norton73

***spam alert***

:)

How about a 2001 Ducati ST2 with 16K miles for $3995?

I'm in Springville and just don't ride it as much as my other bikes.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

jwdmotorsports

That is a pretty bike.
Just curious, while reading up on sport touring bikes, read that the Ducati while great on mountain roads wasn't the greatest thing for long trips. What has your experience been?

norton73

Thanks.

It definitely leans more towards the sport side of sport touring. The lower bars and smaller fairing means it is not as comfortable on the interstate as bikes like the bmw rt or fjr1300 etc.
if you are looking for a bike to ride two up or pound out interstate miles, I wouldn't recommend it.  But for trips to north ga , smokies, etc, it's lots of fun.
Loose nut holding the handlebars

KevinB

I rode an ST1100 and an R1150RT for about a month each 10 years ago (evaluation at work), and owned a Duc ST4s for about 8 months. The Duc was ergonomically very similar to my VFR800...more sporty than touring, but I had no problems doing 12 hours/600+ mile days on the VFR (longest day on the ST4 was @ 8 hours).

The Honda ST would be a good choice if you want to take a long trip and forget that you have a motorcycle under you. I don't remember much about the 1150RT, good or bad. The Duc was supreme fun in the twisties, and quite bearable while droning on the highway...while sounding totally bitchin' doing both.

Between buying a 60k mile Honda or BMW of dubious service history, or a 13k mile ST2 owned by a solid, local guy...I'd be giving Andy a shout.  :)

LawnmowerRG

I have not ridden the Honda ST. I have ridden a couple of BMW 1200 RTs and they are sweet to be sure. Super nice. I have an 08 1200 GS with 53k and it has given very little problem. Mainly an ABS module failure. The bike was rideable and proformed well even with it not working. On the model you are looking at it has the servo ABS (if it has it) which can be problematic if it has not been serviced. It is common and easy to eliminate though.

I also own a Ducati St4s. Man that thing is freaken awesome when in its element. That element being eating miles quickly. Either curves or munching interstate at go to jail speeds.

You should get with Andy. That is a very nice well maintained specimen he has, and he knows a pretty fair piece about Ducati.
Lofty Goals Possibly May Be Reached
Modest Goals Possibly May Not.

jwdmotorsports

Don't know if anything will come of it but have been told about a friends coworker that has an ST1100 they would like to sell with under 13k miles. Friend did the last service on the bike and I trust when he says its in excellent condition. Haven't gotten a price yet.

ka4pse

Not to Hijack your thread...

But if you pass on that ST1100 I'd like the info on it. I love V4 Hondas. Been riding a 1985 V65 1100 Sabre for years and would like to move to the ST at some point.

Hijack over...Thanks

Stewart
Slapout, AL
1985 Honda V65 (VF1100S) Sabre
1985 Yamaha XT350

I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. "This is the 21st century, old man," he said. "We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad." I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...

jwdmotorsports

Went and looked at the ST yesterday afternoon.
Told him I would think it over. Sent him an offer yesterday evening. Waiting to hear back.

jwdmotorsports

He declined my offer.
Just to get some input. Bike is a 2002. Current owner has owned it since 2005. Sounds like it's spent 80% or so of the time he's owned it parked in his garage collecting dust. It has about 13,500 miles on it. The bike has been sitting for a few months and the fuel system needs to be cleaned. It has a few scratches here and there. Not surprised since the bike is about 14 years old.
What would you pay for it?

jwdmotorsports

Picture of the bike in question.