News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

California Superbike School

Started by IceCold4x4, February 21, 2016, 06:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceCold4x4

Saw that they are offering it at barbers. Anyone been before?

Debating about using my ZRX or their bike.

Sun Tzu says train with what you want to kill with. I'm guessing that will apply here. Dunno though if the lack of modern ergo's would limit my learning.

klaviator

I did the California Superbike School at Road Atlanta but it was a long time ago.  I used one of their ZX6's.  I'm glad I did as their bikes where well set up for the track.  I also used their leathers and Helmet.  I'm sure the school has changed since then especially the cost.  I paid $250 to do it back in 1991. 

IceCold4x4

Ya it's essentially 500 to use your own bike or 675ish to use theirs. I have full leathers so I'll be using my own because that's and extra 75 a day.

klaviator

Some thoughts about using their bike or yours.  If you crash your bike will your insurance cover it?  If you crash theirs how much of the damages will you have to pay?  If you ride your bike you will get better with your bike.  Their bike will probably be faster and perhaps more fun.  What are your priorities? 

When I did it I don't think riding my own bike was even an option.  I'm pretty sure everyone was on one of the school's bikes.  I do remember that it was a really fun experience that I will never forget.  I do remember that on the track with the speeds involved and rough track surface I was glad to be on the ZX6 which was much more stable than my EX500.  After class I rode the twisty roads back up to Two Wheels Only where I was staying and I was glad to be riding my EX500 which was much lighter and more nimble than the ZX6.   

IceCold4x4

Ya insurance won't cover track wrecks. Though if there is any tank damage they would likely total the zrx immediately. I am planning on getting some pretty awesome engine armor that should help protect the engine and the tank  incase of a low side.

I guess my major concern is that if I take the class and learn on their s1000rr is that going to make it harder to transfer skills learned to my daily ride as they are so different as far as egos go?

klaviator

IMO most the skills you learn will transfer to any bike you ride but you will not get to see how your bike handles on the track.

What bike(s) do they have?

DachshundUberAlles

Check with your insurance provider to be sure. While they absolutely will not cover damage which occurs in an actual racing event, most will cover track day and school type events because they are not "officially timed events".
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.

Mulley

Quote from: DachshundUberAlles on February 22, 2016, 10:11:44 AM
Check with your insurance provider to be sure. While they absolutely will not cover damage which occurs in an actual racing event, most will cover track day and school type events because they are not "officially timed events".

From what I can tell most insurance companies are excluding track days (non-timed) from their coverage as well. This trend started a few years ago. Definitely read the fine print in your policy. From what I can tell Foremost still covers trackdays. But keep in mind you aren't attending a "trackday", you are attending a "riding school". Some policies may cover schools and exclude trackdays.

If you are unsure you can always email your agent and get their response in writing.
2015 Versys 650 LT / 2016 Beta 300 RR / 2015 KTM 500 EXC

KevinB

Quote from: IceCold4x4 on February 22, 2016, 08:23:54 AM
I guess my major concern is that if I take the class and learn on their s1000rr is that going to make it harder to transfer skills learned to my daily ride as they are so different as far as egos go?

The basic skills taught will be universal no matter what motorcycle you're riding. Personally, I would prefer to use their bike. If you crash, you hand them the keys and say "Here's you're pile of parts back...", and you'd also get to experience an awesome track on an awesome track bike.

If you were going to do the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber would you rather drive one of their 911's, or drive a Chevelle around the course?  :)

IceCold4x4

Quote from: KevinB on February 22, 2016, 01:27:39 PM
Quote from: IceCold4x4 on February 22, 2016, 08:23:54 AM

The basic skills taught will be universal no matter what motorcycle you're riding. Personally, I would prefer to use their bike. If you crash, you hand them the keys and say "Here's you're pile of parts back...", and you'd also get to experience an awesome track on an awesome track bike.

If you were going to do the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber would you rather drive one of their 911's, or drive a Chevelle around the course?  :)

depends on what porsche and what chevelle. hehe

And Klaviator it's a Bmw S1000RR.

I think I'm just going to use my bike, I really do like the personality of the ZRX and I really want to see what it is capable of. I think I'll get more benefit out of it that way.

Now what i really need to do is figure out what kind of line to take in the last sweeper before the pits. Never have gotten that one right in a car and I can't imagine it's going to be any better on a bike.

klaviator

I'm not sure I'd want to ride an S1000RR for the class.  I consider myself a pretty experienced rider but that bike has way more capability than I do.  Also, I'm pretty sure if you crash their bike it would cost you something.

So, no right or wrong answer here, ride the bike you feel like riding and I am sure you will have a great time.  Don't forget to write up your experience here after the class.

Have fun!

IceCold4x4

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and do a full bore write up. I need to find out if they will allow You to sena 10c on the helmet.