News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

Who rides through Deal's Gap on a holiday weekend?

Started by klaviator, September 10, 2015, 09:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaviator

US129 at Deal's Gap.  318 curves in 11 miles.  Not sure if that count is accurate but this has become probably one of the most hyped motorcycling roads anywhere.  It's even been given a name to hype it more and generate T shirt sales.  Ya'll might of heard of it, the "Dragon".  I don't use that name so don't expect me to call it that in this report.

Labor Day was coming up and I had a 4 day weekend.  This would be perfect for getting my yard in shape, catching up on some TV and just laying around being lazy....

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!

No way!  I was going riding

I just couldn't make up my mind where and on which bike.  I eventually made up my mind. Despite the weather forecast I decided to head for the North Carolina mountains. Since I haven't ridden my KLR much I decided to take it.  Also, I figured if needed I could escape the crowds and traffic by getting off the pavement.  So I headed out Saturday morning.  I took a little detour while still in Alabama and found this:

I took mostly highways until through Chattanooga and past Cleveland where I got into some great twisty roads. It's been awhile since I rode the KLR on a bunch of really twisty roads and I forgot how great this thing works as a sport bike.

After Tellico Plains I started up the Skyway but decided I'd get bored with all the traffic and took a little detour.

And of course I couldn't go past Bald River Falls without stopping and taking some pics including this selfie:

Then is was up the Gravalhala Skyway.

On the way up I got into the edge of a thunderstorm. Here's where it crosses under the Skyway.

At that point I decided to ride the paved Skyway down. Due to the rain there wasn't much traffic. By the time I got about halfway down the rain stopped and the road was dry. Then I went through Joyce Kilmer towards Deals Gap. Most riders avoid this road because it's a little rough but it's a fun road and is even twistier than 129 through Deal's Gap. It might not be that much fun on a stiffly sprung sport bike but on the KLR it was a blast.

I stopped at Deal's Gap and as expected it was the Circus I expected on a holiday weekend. Mostly cruisers but there were a few squids on sport bikes with one and a half inch wide chicken strips on their rear tires. I debated camping there but decided to go to Iron Horse. I figured Iron Horse would be more peaceful. Well, I figured wrong. They had a band playing until 11PM. At least that's only 10PM Alabama time. The band wasn't bad but that's not what I go to these places for. I did get to try out my new tent but forgot to take any pics. Total miles for the day was 285.

klaviator

I got up early Sunday morning and headed towards Deal's Gap. A view of Fontana Lake from HWY28.

It was not long before it got light enough to have some fun on 28 then 129.  Those of you who have ridden these roads know how much fun they can be when the traffic is light.  Well, there was NO TRAFFIC.  I was a fun ride

I had the overlook to myself.

After a bit I continued down 129 towards the lake. About half way the riders I was planning on meeting passed me coming up so I turned around and caught them as they stopped at the overlook.

We headed up the Gap. It didn't take to long for the guy on the GSXR to leave us behind but we caught him when he briefly got stuck behind a car. The car pulled into a pullout and let us pass just in time to get our pic taken by a US129 photographer. He got all of us in the same pic. I don't want to buy the pic but you can see it here: http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK023V080003po=0&pc=4959

We ate breakfast then hung out and watched the circus that is Deal's Gap on a weekend:

Why ride when you can play with your Smartphone?

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu171/wknudsen/2015%20pics/P9060020_zpszcykkwt2.jpg

I ended up hanging out there until past noon. Then I headed towards Robbinsville on 129. As expected there was a lot of traffic so I detoured on some nice side roads on the way there. I ate lunch at Wendy's then headed for some twisty roads where I knew there wouldn't be much traffic.

Tatum Gap which some call the "Gravel Dragon"

Then I headed to Old River Road.

I stopped and took a pic at a spot where I had stopped for a pic about 24 years ago.

24 years ago there weren't a bunch of trees blocking the view of the waterfalls in the background. However, it's the same spot and I'm still taking pics of a red and black Kawasaki. Here's the pic from 1991:

I just noticed that I still have the same tank bag.

Then I headed over Tellico Gap.  Looking for some tight curves?

Then I headed back to Iron Horse. Total Miles for the day was only 163 but I had a good day.

Back at Iron Horse I saw this interesting contraption:

And I lusted a bit at some really big toys.

At Iron Horse they want you to sign up for dinner the day prior but I decided to check if I could still sign up. I could so I ate dinner there. The food was good and the price reasonable. Desert was pretty impressive so I took a pic:

springer

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate.  Strother Martin as the Captain in Cool Hand Luke.
Endeavor to persevere! Chief Dan George as Lone Watie in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

klaviator

I got up early again on Labor Day morning. I didn't feel like trying to pack up a wet tent in the dark so I headed back over to Deal's Gap. I started in the dark but around Fontana it started to get light.

I stopped to get some pics. I'm sure most of you will recognize this spot along HWY 28:

I stopped at Deal's Gap, took a pic of the huge crowd before riding on:

I was surprised to find some traffic already on the road but they used the pulloffs and let me by. My KLR really works great on this road.  It may not be tha fastest bike out there but at this time of the morning it was!  It is so easy to ride through the curves, it just kind of flows through them.

I took a break at the overlook.

Then I rode down to the lake and turned around and had a great ride back to the Deals Gap Resort for breakfast.

Not much of a crowd early, just some of the locals and me.

I hung out a bit then rode back to Iron Horse and packed up my stuff. Then I rode towards the Skyway stopping at the Thunder Mtn store for lunch. Traffic on the Skyway was surprisingly light until I got to the TN side. I saw this interesting rig at one of the stops on the Skyway:

You could have quite a party with that much Jack Daniels:lol3:lol3

I talked a bit with the guy who was riding the bike in the pic. He recommended avoiding Chattanooga at the end of a Holiday weekend. After the massive jam I encountered there last year on the 4rth of july weekend I decided to follow his advice. So I rode 39 and 30 to Pikeville, TN. Somewhere on the way I saw the lowest gas prices I had seen in a long time.

The gas station across the street was even lower at $1.73 / Gal.

Then I headed south. I took this pic crossing the TN River.

I got on TN 156, a great road. Instead of taking it to 72 and droning back to Huntsville I turned off on 422 which was quite a roller coaster. Then I saw what looked like an interesting road and decided to check it out.

It had a few of these:

There were some great views through the trees. 

Anyone recognize the view?

How about now?

I went to the top of the mountain and turned around.

And eventually I ended up riding along the TN River.

I guess there are still a lot of interesting roads in Jackson County still waiting for me to explore them. The road surfaces on many of these county roads is a bit rough but that's not a problem on a dual sport bike like my KLR.

Eventually I ended up back on 72 and I had a boring end to my ride. Total for the day was 385 miles. That's a little too much for me on a KLR with a stock seat but overall it was a good day and a great weekend.

kdtrull

ThumperTriple

I'll be up here the 1st weekend of October. Halfway tempted to take the KLR, but I think the pavement and need for speed is calling.  Great report.

KrisCook

EXCELLENT report.  I've never been there, so it's especially good for me.  And I loved the pic from 1991!   Like Kenneth said, great kickoff. 
Sounds good except for pretty much everything you said.  ---Brian A

2019 Honda Rebel 500
2018 Honda Grom

klaviator

klaviator

Quote from: ThumperTriple on September 11, 2015, 12:42:50 AM
I'll be up here the 1st weekend of October. Halfway tempted to take the KLR, but I think the pavement and need for speed is calling.  Great report.

Have a great trip.  Which ever bike you can't help but have a great time in that area. 

klaviator

Quote from: KrisCook on September 11, 2015, 09:09:15 AM
EXCELLENT report.  I've never been there, so it's especially good for me.  And I loved the pic from 1991!   Like Kenneth said, great kickoff. 

Kris, I hope you get the chance to ride the area some time.  Some fantastic riding around there.  Until then, I'll be sure to post some more pics and reports from that area.

GSlater

Great report and tease for exploring the roads less traveled

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice Goat

Nice report, Win.  I'm hoping to get back up there at least one more time this year.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

klaviator

Quote from: gharshman on September 14, 2015, 01:37:59 PM
Nice report, Win.  I'm hoping to get back up there at least one more time this year.

I'm heading back up there 16-18 OCT.  Maybe another weekend as well.  I love the mountains in the fall.

Jwwr

I hate I missed the dual sport ride you had planned for Memorial Day weekend. Still waiting for parts for the WR250R, by the way. I did manage to ride up there for a few days on my ninja 300. I'm pretty sure I passed you on the Cherohala not long after you left the pull off with the Jack Daniels barrel. I saw the same bike.

klaviator

Quote from: Jwwr on September 15, 2015, 07:15:29 AM
I hate I missed the dual sport ride you had planned for Memorial Day weekend. Still waiting for parts for the WR250R, by the way. I did manage to ride up there for a few days on my ninja 300. I'm pretty sure I passed you on the Cherohala not long after you left the pull off with the Jack Daniels barrel. I saw the same bike.

One of the advantages of owning more than one bike is that if one is down you don't have to give up a weekend of riding.  Your Ninja seems like it would be a blast on the twisty roads in that area.